The Student Room Group

Why are vegans so up in your face about veganism?

post removed

Scroll to see replies

Superiority complex.
I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with you. :lolwut:
are they...? I've known several vegans and they've basically never talked about veganism to me until I mention it myself, and even then, they don't talk much about it
It's the most environmentally friendly thing you could possibly do. Animal agriculture is the biggest contributor to global warming, bigger than cars and fossil fuels. Many want to save the planet, and moving away from meat is necessary to do this.

It is also the most ethical way to treat animals. It makes sense that most vegetarian and vegans want to see an end to the cruelty that is factory farming. To do that, far less meat needs to be eaten.
I'm on a vegan, low fat, low salt, low sugar, lactose free, gluten free diet right now to detoxify my body right now, and honestly, like, it just makes you feel so much better. We're just trying to help you!
Original post by TheGuyReturns
I'm on a vegan, low fat, low salt, low sugar, lactose free, gluten free diet right now to detoxify my body right now, and honestly, like, it just makes you feel so much better. We're just trying to help you!

The 'lactose free' is redundant. That's implied in the 'vegan' part.
I think it's because most vegans at one point were not vegans, and then realised how on every level it makes sense particularly in terms of environmental preservation, animal welfare and our own personal health.

In addition, most vegans probably learnt the benefits of being vegan by way of existing vegans being vocal about it.

So they have a cause they are passionate about, and from personal experience they know being vocal about it and presenting the rationale behind veganism can help to educate people into transitioning to a vegan diet.

And the cycle continues.

Most of the reason I am a vegan came from educating myself. The other part of the reason is the fact that I feel so much better physically and mentally on a vegan diet.
I try not to be, but when it's something you feel passionately about (animal rights and welfare) it's hard. It's a difficult position to be in; on the one hand, I believe in freedom to choose what you eat. On the other, by eating meat you're doing something which, to me, is completely morally wrong - and can it be freedom of choice when your diet includes the killing of other animals?

Having said that, I never actually bring it up myself - the only time I do is if someone's insisting on giving me a brew :tongue: - and more often than not it's my friends who bring it up, because they're interested in veganism. I actually have one friend who, when he introduces me to new people, actually says 'this is Anita, she's a vegan', so he's the one making it, essentjally, my key feature...

I also never preach. I can't stand people who preach, no matter what they're preaching about. There are much better ways to get any point across. In my experience, it tends to be more **** aimed at vegans and vegetarians than vice versa... The loud, preachy ones give us all a bad name. It's like radical feminists. We're not all like that, it just happens to be that they're the ones that get the most attention.

On a side note, why is it, when a vegan's passionate about veganism, it's like we're committing a crime, but when people wax lyrical about bacon to vegetarians and vegans, it's not even seen as slightly rude or disrespectful..?
(edited 8 years ago)
It is one of the most ethical things you can do. Which is why I guess they feel so passionate about it.
Its fine if you wish to be a vegan yourself but being quite forceful of it on you and making you feel guilty for also not sharing the same ideology is out of bounds. Its your life and you can live it how you want. This means you and only you should be able to decide what you want to eat.

Because all of us are doing it because it's cool right now and not for ethical reasons at all :rolleyes:
Original post by abruiseonthesky
On a side note, why is it, when a vegan's passionate about veganism, it's like we're committing a crime, but when people wax lyrical about bacon to vegetarians and vegans, it's not even seen as slightly rude or disrespectful..?

And when hunters are passionate about hunting, everyone loses their ****.
Original post by the terminator
Its fine if you wish to be a vegan yourself but being quite forceful of it on you and making you feel guilty for also not sharing the same ideology is out of bounds. Its your life and you can live it how you want. This means you and only you should be able to decide what you want to eat.

I agree to a point, but think about it this way for a second:

I hold the belief that everyone has the freedom to choose what they eat. At the same time, I hold another belief that every animal has the same right to life and that meat eating is completely morally wrong. Holding these two beliefs simultaneously is a difficult position to be in; you essentially have to pit them against each other to see which one 'wins'. Is it really freedom of choice when another animal's having to die for it? In my eyes, the fact that you're forcing another animal to die detracts from your choice - that animal didn't have a choice.

I'm not trying to preach or whatever, just trying to explain of the reasons I and many other vegans feel so passionately about veganism :smile:
I try not to be, but when it's something you feel passionately about (animal rights and welfare) it's hard. It's a difficult position to be in; on the one hand, I believe in freedom to choose what you eat. On the other, by eating meat you're doing something which, to me, is completely morally wrong - and can it be freedom of choice when your diet includes the killing of other animals?

Having said that, I never actually bring it up myself - the only time I do is if someone's insisting on giving me a brew :tongue: - and more often than not it's my friends who bring it up, because they're interested in veganism. I actually have one friend who, when he introduces me to new people, actually says 'this is Anita, she's a vegan', so he's the one making it, essentjally, my key feature...

I also never preach. I can't stand people who preach, no matter what they're preaching about. There are much better ways to get any point across. In my experience, it tends to be more **** aimed at vegans and vegetarians than vice versa... The loud, preachy ones give us all a bad name. It's like radical feminists. We're not all like that, it just happens to be that they're the ones that get the most attention.

Veganism definitely has strong ethical arguments behind it. Although it is hard to do in practice which is why I understand that most people have no interest in it. You would have to be watching everything you eat.
However I still think that people do not care about animals as much as they should and should move towards a more animal friendly diet.
I agree to a point, but think about it this way for a second:

I hold the belief that everyone has the freedom to choose what they eat. At the same time, I hold another belief that every animal has the same right to life and that meat eating is completely morally wrong. Holding these two beliefs simultaneously is a difficult position to be in; you essentially have to pit them against each other to see which one 'wins'. Is it really freedom of choice when another animal's having to die for it? In my eyes, the fact that you're forcing another animal to die detracts from your choice - that animal didn't have a choice.

I'm not trying to preach or whatever, just trying to explain of the reasons I and many other vegans feel so passionately about veganism :smile:

So you don't have any leather items then?
because the animals cannot stand up for themselves, so informed humans have to do it for them.
Original post by DiddyDec
And when hunters are passionate about hunting, everyone loses their ****.

It depends what you're referring to. The majority of people agree that hunting for sport is completely wrong and will naturally, and rightly imo, condemn it and those who do it. I don't think people who hunt for meat get anywhere near as much flak, but you'd know better than me I suppose.
Original post by simbasdragon
It's the most environmentally friendly thing you could possibly do. Animal agriculture is the biggest contributor to global warming, bigger than cars and fossil fuels. Many want to save the planet, and moving away from meat is necessary to do this.

It is also the most ethical way to treat animals. It makes sense that most vegetarian and vegans want to see an end to the cruelty that is factory farming. To do that, far less meat needs to be eaten.

Why would you care about global warming if all of us will die before it could affect us?
So you don't have any leather items then?

Meat eaters always do that one, along with 'but lions eat meat!!!', to try and catch me out...

Veganism, and a lot of vegetarians also follow this philosophy, extends beyond a diet into an ethical way of living. It's in the very definition. I don't own any leather, fur, suede etc., and avoid knowingly buying cosmetics, dental hygiene products etc. that have been tested on animals or contain products like milk.

Quick Reply

Latest