The Student Room Group

Is it okay for a vegan to work for a supermarket?

Hi,

I was just wondering if it's morally incompatible to work in a supermarket head office being a vegan? I buy my grocery from the same supermarket on occasion but because they sell non-vegan products, is it immoral and incompatible for me to work for them, considering i'm a strict ethical vegan? Just to clarify, I won't be working in the buying department, so no buying meat or other non vegan items. I'll just be doing reporting/analytics.

This dilemma has been tearing me up for the last few weeks. I have accepted the offer to work in a supermarket head office as it was the only job offer I had and I needed to get off the dole and back to work.

What are your thoughts guys? I would feel more comfortable working in financial services or a sector that doesn't profit from the death of innocent animals, but I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place! :frown:

If any other vegans here work at a supermarket in office or store, do let me know what your thoughts are please, as I especially value the opinions of fellow vegans.

Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Isn’t this up to you? Do you think your morals are more important than your job offer or vice versa?
Original post by Anonysus
Isn’t this up to you? Do you think your morals are more important than your job offer or vice versa?

I'm 50:50 at the moment. Part of me is saying it's ok as I am just doing an office job and not butchering meat. Also I shop in supermarkets, so if I am okay doing that, what difference does it make working in one as long as I don't compromise my values i.e. buying stuff that contributes towards animal harm. I'm doing as much as I can. Other part of me is ashamed and extremely sad that I am working for a company that profits from the death of innocent animals. Not ideal as I don't want to be associated with such a company, but at the same time if I didn't I shouldn't be shopping in them either.

Do you see my dilemma?
Original post by boulderingislife
I'm 50:50 at the moment. Part of me is saying it's ok as I am just doing an office job and not butchering meat. Also I shop in supermarkets, so if I am okay doing that, what difference does it make working in one as long as I don't compromise my values i.e. buying stuff that contributes towards animal harm. I'm doing as much as I can. Other part of me is ashamed and extremely sad that I am working for a company that profits from the death of innocent animals. Not ideal as I don't want to be associated with such a company, but at the same time if I didn't I shouldn't be shopping in them either.

Do you see my dilemma?

Then I say take the job because it’s your only job offer and I don’t think you’re going to be promoting any of the products (unless I’m wrong). You can also leave if working there still doesn’t sit right with you whereas if you don’t accept the job you might not get another one.
Original post by Anonysus
Then I say take the job because it’s your only job offer and I don’t think you’re going to be promoting any of the products (unless I’m wrong). You can also leave if working there still doesn’t sit right with you whereas if you don’t accept the job you might not get another one.

Thanks for your input. And that's correct, as far as i'm aware my role will be purely a data role and nothing to do with promoting meat or dairy products.
Hi I know it’s been a year but
The philosophy of veganism is to abstain from any exploitation of a sentient being, yes? It’s when possible and thus, you wouldn’t tell a starving child to not eat meat because they just eat what they can find, being vegan is doing the “right thing” when there is a choice
When it comes to jobs, there are few places that don’t somewhat contribute to animal exploitation in one way or another
Ofc that should conclude that you pursue a career path that follows your morality, but at the moment in which you wrote this, it wasn’t much of a choice as it was your only offer so I don’t think there is a reason for guilt
Reply 6
Original post by boulderingislife
Thanks for your input. And that's correct, as far as i'm aware my role will be purely a data role and nothing to do with promoting meat or dairy products.

Then its hardly an issue is it.

If this is just an 'I choose to ....' issue then what other people buy isn't a biggie is it.
Original post by McGinger
Then its hardly an issue is it.

If this is just an 'I choose to ....' issue then what other people buy isn't a biggie is it.

Except obviously they don’t want to promote someone else buying smth they don’t want to buy, bcz that would be indirectly supporting what they don’t morally align with
Reply 8
Where exactly do you buy your groceries then?
I haven't noticed any 'Sainsburys only for Vegans'.
Where exactly do you buy your groceries then?
I haven't noticed any 'Sainsburys only for Vegans'.

No I mean
When you work and sell stuff
Selling non-vegan products would be practically promoting it
The original poster was only going to data analytics so that’s not much of a problem here
When I go to the store I make a choice to buy certain things, but I don’t impact what others consume
Me personally not much of an activist so I wouldn’t attempt to “prevent” another from consuming any product, but I don’t want to contribute to it, if that makes sense?
I believe veganism is a choice, and the same way I expect to be treated for my choices I will treat others
Also there are some vegan supermarkets in Germany and other places
maybe London? But idk I just shop at the store closest to me 👁️👄👁️
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 10
So you support / add to the profits of a capitalist corporate entity that promotes eating meat.

That doesnt sound very 'ethical' to me.
It sounds far more like 'convenience' and therefore that your moral standpoint is pretty flexible around your self-interest.

And I therefore cant see the difference between that and working for the company.
So you support / add to the profits of a capitalist corporate entity that promotes eating meat.

That doesnt sound very 'ethical' to me.
It sounds far more like 'convenience' and therefore that your moral standpoint is pretty flexible around your self-interest.

And I therefore cant see the difference between that and working for the company.

Like I said before
It’s making the choice when you can
its not like I can starve, and there are no “vegan supermarkets” around my area
i also said working for the company is fine, but where possible, working away from roles that directly contribute to it is better, as you’re choosing to lower your “negative” impact
its not really convenient, it’s just the world isn’t going to cater to a small community, which tbh I don’t think is unreasonable 💀, and thus I can’t be “perfectly ethical”.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending