The Student Room Group

Should all Britons be microchipped?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Lady Comstock
This would be a chip that could monitor location, life signs, etc. It would be placed in a part of the body where attempting to remove it would prove fatal.

Pros:
- Parents could find lost children.
- An ambulance could be sent out as soon as someone's life signs dwindled.
- Criminals could be monitored.
- Immigrants who overstay their visas could be found easily.
- People's whereabouts could be monitored, which would make solving crimes a lot easier.

Cons:
- People would feel violated and that their liberty was being infringed.
- Open to abuse/hacking if sufficient safeguards were not in place.
- People might accidentally kill themselves trying to remove the microchip.

Views?

Cons: No operation is risk free, how are you installing it? If there's a 0.01% chance of something going wrong and it killing someone, well, you've just killed six and a half thousand people. (if you're installing it somewhere that's impossible to remove... that sounds risky)

What happens when it breaks? How likely is it to kill the owner?

But even without that, the cons outweigh the pros.
Reply 41
Original post by San pellegrino
She's still sore that's for sho

This is so immature :rofl:
Reply 42
Original post by sw651
Yes, but not indefinitely as I'm sure you know, a battery has limited lifespan, after say 30 years it would lose its charge cycle, requiring surgery and more expense

yes, and if said battery just died and the person didnt want it replaced or was too old to have it done then it won't happen.

a better (altought perhaps more expansive solution) could potentually be to use RF technology currently used in pet microchips and install scanners into the entire road network and having 'scanner masts' which would give aproximate positions.
Reply 43
Original post by Aph
yes, and if said battery just died and the person didnt want it replaced or was too old to have it done then it won't happen.

a better (altought perhaps more expansive solution) could potentually be to use RF technology currently used in pet microchips and install scanners into the entire road network and having 'scanner masts' which would give aproximate positions.

I say, not at all. Its a violation on basic human freedoms, there is a reason we don't chip humans, It's not ethical, very few doctors would agree to do it, it goes against the Hippocratic Oath.
Reply 44
Original post by sw651
I say, not at all. Its a violation on basic human freedoms, there is a reason we don't chip humans, It's not ethical, very few doctors would agree to do it, it goes against the Hippocratic Oath.

oh, no i agree that it shouldn't happen but I was more interested in discussing the practicalities of it.
Reply 45
Original post by Aph
oh, no i agree that it shouldn't happen but I was more interested in discussing the practicalities of it.

Ohhhh. Well, biologically it is very possible. But practically, no. It's far too expensive, and very risky
That reeks of the government trying to keep tabs on where innocent citizens are. And people's bodies are theirs and theirs alone - why should they be forced to have something put in them that they don't need?
you are nuts
Reply 48
Original post by Neurosci
you are nuts

No, I'm Steve
if you have nothing to hide there is no problem

Reply 50
Only certified chavs. We all know the requisite shibboleths.
Reply 51
Original post by sw651
Ohhhh. Well, biologically it is very possible. But practically, no. It's far too expensive, and very risky

I would tent to agree, however a similar system is likely to happen in the future I believe. bur more of a 'mini robots to help repair the body' sort of thing.
Original post by Lady Comstock
This would be a chip that could monitor location, life signs, etc. It would be placed in a part of the body where attempting to remove it would prove fatal.

Pros:
- Parents could find lost children.
- An ambulance could be sent out as soon as someone's life signs dwindled.
- Criminals could be monitored.
- Immigrants who overstay their visas could be found easily.
- People's whereabouts could be monitored, which would make solving crimes a lot easier.

Cons:
- People would feel violated and that their liberty was being infringed.
- Open to abuse/hacking if sufficient safeguards were not in place.
- People might accidentally kill themselves trying to remove the microchip.

Views?

Another pro would be that presumably you could just walk through a scanner at shops, pubs, hair salons and airports to pay for things.

I can see more cons though, for example, thieves might want to steal your vital organs (assuming the chip is embedded in the heart or something) and also there might be a question of who owns the chip, for example, if it stops working and you are out of warranty or whatever, do you cease to exist as a human in the economy?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
for example, if it stops working and you are out of warranty or whatever, do you cease to exist as a human in the economy?

Hey, that's an interesting question!

If you don't report it, maybe you'd be classed a fugitive and have guys in black suits chase you down. How cool would that be?!

I'd have a harley bike and machine guns as an outlaw :smug:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The Arsonist
Hey, that's an interesting question!

If you don't report it, maybe you'd be classed a fugitive and have guys in black suits chase you down. How cool would that be?!

I'd have a harley bike and machine guns as an outlaw :smug:

Chip Squad with tough, unrelenting Chief Inspector McDoggert would be the top TV show.

Lapsed chip people would be known as 'Nowheres'.
Original post by the bear
if you have nothing to hide there is no problem

This is such a true saying and applies to all government policies and demands. It's best to pre-subjagate yourself by writing now to your nearest government confirming that you have nothing to hide and asking them to go easy.
Reply 56
wtf? aren't they already?
Chip Squad with tough, unrelenting Chief Inspector McDoggert would be the top TV show.

Lapsed chip people would be known as 'Nowheres'.

I wonder if I could steal somebody else's chip or somehow reprogram mine so it so I had special privileges like diplomatic immunity or a licence to carry a weapon or even just more credit to buy stuff.
Original post by The Arsonist
I wonder if I could steal somebody else's chip or somehow reprogram mine so it so I had special privileges like diplomatic immunity or a licence to carry a weapon or even just more credit to buy stuff.

I think with the right programming you would be Prime Minister and the actual one would have to work as a street cleaner.

It would be hard to restructure the class system under these new arrangements.
I think with the right programming you would be Prime Minister and the actual one would have to work as a street cleaner.

It would be hard to restructure the class system under these new arrangements.

Would it? It only seems the case if we also imagine pre-assigned roles.That's worse still! You're born and chipped and already your life has been given a role, no room for social mobility, no choice.

Your scenario seems to describe a much worse dystopia then just tracking.

Then again, Hobbes did state that in the instance that we become a society of rational players (insomuch that we always act in self-interest) most interested in freedom, that the only two options are anarchy and tyranny. Tyranny is preferable, given the anarchist state of rational players means it is impossible for cooperation of any kind to occur. The state enforces agreements and so we cooperate out of fear of being punished for ducking obligation; Hobbes called the government the soul of the state, in this context, which I found rather poetic.

It puts into perspective (what I thought was satirical) your comment at @the bear's picture: Sure, having nothing to hide is not the point, and we feel we shouldn't have to cater to the whims of the state... but maybe it's in our best interest if we are to insure mutually beneficial cooperation.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending