The Student Room Group

I think the markscheme is WRONG?! :/

For the ' no. of electrons present when completely filled in the d orbital',
I wrote 10 electrons, but in the mark scheme it says 2 electrons?!
Why's that?! :s-smilie:

Reply 1
An orbital can only hold 2 electrons
Reply 2
Original post by alibevan
An orbital can only hold 2 electrons

A s-orbital can hold 2 electrons.
Original post by Adorable98
For the ' no. of electrons present when completely filled in the d orbital',
I wrote 10 electrons, but in the mark scheme it says 2 electrons?!
Why's that?! :s-smilie:

As alibevan said, you can only have a maximum of two electrons in an orbital. You've confused shell and orbital.
Reply 4
the definition of an orbital is a space within an atom which can hold up to two electrons, spinning in opposite directions. You may be getting confused with sub shells
Reply 5
Presuming because it can only hold 2 electrons.
Reply 6
Original post by morgan8002
As alibevan said, you can only have a maximum of two electrons in an orbital. You've confused shell and orbital.

But there are 5 orbitals in a d-orbital, and they want the no. Of electrons completely filled, so it must be 10 electrons. :s-smilie:
But there are 5 orbitals in a d-orbital, and they want the no. Of electrons completely filled, so it must be 10 electrons. :s-smilie:

5 orbitals in an orbital?
Reply 8
Original post by alibevan
the definition of an orbital is a space within an atom which can hold up to two electrons, spinning in opposite directions. You may be getting confused with sub shells

Original post by aamirac
Presuming because it can only hold 2 electrons.

So if it was a p-orbital or s-orbital, it would also be 2 electrons.
Reply 9
Original post by morgan8002
5 orbitals in an orbital?

I meant 5 orbitals in a d-subshell! :tongue:
Reply 10

But it says in 'a' orbital, not 'in all orbitals in the d-subshell'. It's a bit of a trick question.
Lol I remember sitting the exam and doing this question, it had me tripping but I eventually got it
Original post by oopqoo
But it says in 'a' orbital, not 'in all orbitals in the d-subshell'. It's a bit of a trick question.

I see.. Makes sense! Thanx :smile:
Original post by oopqoo

It's not a trick question at all. You just have to read the question carefully (as we teachers have to say ad nauseam it seems).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest