The Student Room Group

School is making me unbelievably depressed

Okay, I didnt really know where to post this but I'm honestly stuck at this point.

Basically, I'm 17 y/o and I'm in my last year of school. I have about 5/6 proper full weeks left before exam leave and stuff starts but I honestly just cannot face school at all anymore. It's been like this for a while, since I started my last year it's gotten worse. My attendance is well below 60%. If I don't feel like I can handle going to a certain class on a certain day, I don't even push myself to go. Despite the fact that I know the consequences this could have. I have done literally NO studying outside of school this year whatsoever and I know how awful that is, especially considering my prelim/mock exams start TOMORROW. And I know that I have to study and work hard but I just cannot bring myself to do it because i honestly feel like sobbing everytime I even think of school. This has been by far the worst academic year of my life. I know that by acting this way that I'm ruining things for myself.

It breaks my heart because I had always LOVED school and I had always had such passion for my subjects and for learning in general. School was honestly a happy place for me at one point and now it's a place where I just feel constantly on edge. I still want to go to uni but i kinda know I've got no chance. I've applied knowing that I didn't have the right grades yet I'm not even fighting to achieve them this year because I am just so past the point of stressing myself out over school. I kind of just try so hard to push it all to the back of my mind.

I don't know what to do. I don't know who to talk to. I know I'm messing up my future.
I'm in the exact same boat as you, expect my GCSEs are coming up soon and I just can't bring myself to revise or do anything, my depression has gotten a lot worse over the past few months, most of the time I just come home from school and sleep because I don't want to do anything else.
I would really suggest trying to see a counsellor or even your GP, they can refer you to someone and it could help you manage exams and studying rather then letting it get on top of you and ultimately failing. I would also suggest telling someone at your school about how you feel, they should help with it then and they'll know the reasons why you attendance and grades might be dropping. I told my school recently and they're gradually helping me manage school work I feel stressed about, I do feel a lot more relieved now I've told someone so I think that's really the first step, to tell someone about how you feel.
I think the best thing to do would be to go to your GP to outline any physical problems. I suffer with depression myself and it was getting really hard for me during the last few years so I went to the doctor and I found out that I have a vitamin deficiency which has been causing me to be depressed. With studying I recommend creating a study time table and looking at 'studyblr' blogs.
As someone who has been experiencing the same I'd say it's best you sort it out. Go and see your GP as they are the best first step in finding a solution to the problem. For me it was only a few months ago I decided to go by which time significant damage had been done. I was predicted all A's at the beginning of last year (my AS year if you're familiar with the U.K. system) but only came out with C's and D's which has since impacted the unis I wanted to go to which is pretty crap tbh. I'm hoping this year, with resits, to improve these grades this year but tbh it's incredibly stressful so it's best to not put yourself in that position. Seriously from the very beginning of the year I was constantly tired, felt extremely down, and had zero motivation to do my work. Ok this year isn't going great but it is going a damn sight better than if I hadn't sought help. In the end I was found to be anaemic so have been put on tablets (although I considering going back to see my GP as my mood hasn't improved) so it could just be something like that. Don't leave it though. There's still time to improve things but only if you do something.
Original post by cgcgcg
Okay, I didnt really know where to post this but I'm honestly stuck at this point.

Basically, I'm 17 y/o and I'm in my last year of school. I have about 5/6 proper full weeks left before exam leave and stuff starts but I honestly just cannot face school at all anymore. It's been like this for a while, since I started my last year it's gotten worse. My attendance is well below 60%. If I don't feel like I can handle going to a certain class on a certain day, I don't even push myself to go. Despite the fact that I know the consequences this could have. I have done literally NO studying outside of school this year whatsoever and I know how awful that is, especially considering my prelim/mock exams start TOMORROW. And I know that I have to study and work hard but I just cannot bring myself to do it because i honestly feel like sobbing everytime I even think of school. This has been by far the worst academic year of my life. I know that by acting this way that I'm ruining things for myself.

It breaks my heart because I had always LOVED school and I had always had such passion for my subjects and for learning in general. School was honestly a happy place for me at one point and now it's a place where I just feel constantly on edge. I still want to go to uni but i kinda know I've got no chance. I've applied knowing that I didn't have the right grades yet I'm not even fighting to achieve them this year because I am just so past the point of stressing myself out over school. I kind of just try so hard to push it all to the back of my mind.

I don't know what to do. I don't know who to talk to. I know I'm messing up my future.

Mocks are just mocks.
They don't count in the great scheme of things.

In a few weeks school will be over forever.
You never go back.

Soooooo....
separate school and study in your mind.
Studying counts.
School doesn't. And school stress is nearly over.

Ignore school.
Start studying. :work:
And get what YOU want.
you just summed up what i was like last year.

just keep working hard. study and keep your goal in mind. your grades will help you in your future. there is only so much of school left. fight through it and focus on your revision. if you can nail revision and feel good about the exams you will feel much better.

it sucks about school. i used to love it but my last year was awful. just keep going. i gets better. compared to last year I am quite happy. i just keep going and stay strong.

i never went to my GP and sometimes i wish i had. if you think you need to, go to your GP.

i hope it all goes well for you. stay strong! :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest