The Student Room Group

I need help at uni but I'm scared of getting into trouble. What can I do?

Without making this too long I have struggled with various mental health conditions since the age of 12. It was a dream come true for me to be accepted by UCL, and I thought that going there would 'make me better', but sadly that's not been true.

I literally scraped through first year and now I'm in my second. I've literally missed every single deadline in terms of coursework and essays and had penalties incurred meaning my marks are pretty bad, in fact I'm failing. I also sat an exam and literally got the worst mark in the year and the worst mark I've ever seen in my life. I'm not sure how long I can go on for.

I'm so depressed and anxious that I usually only leave the house about three times a week. I know it sounds silly but I feel so ugly that I don't want anyone to see me. I've relapsed into bulimia as well and I'm so disgusted with myself.

I'm scared that even if I ask for help I'm just going to get booted off the course because you need to attend at least 80% of the lectures but I've only probably been to about 5%. It's far too late for me to catch up now.

I'm screwed! There's no way out for me. I can't even drop out and go to another uni due to student finance (I already transferred from another uni). I won't put my true feelings in this thread because it will probably get barred but perhaps you can guess from the bolded bit above.

Please, can anyone offer me an advice?

Thank you
Have you seen a doctor about this? Or the disability office?

What you haven't mentioned is the possibility of taking the rest of the year off and restart 2nd year again in September. That might be a good idea so you'll have time to work on getting better in a low stress situation.
Reply 2
Original post by Sabertooth
Have you seen a doctor about this? Or the disability office?

What you haven't mentioned is the possibility of taking the rest of the year off and restart 2nd year again in September. That might be a good idea so you'll have time to work on getting better in a low stress situation.

It's been a while since I've been to the doc or the disability as I have a fear of getting into trouble. I've been making out like I can cope just fine whilst I've been suffering and now it may be too late. None the less I'm going to book in to see them now and see where I get.

I'v definitely thought about this, however as I mentioned I have limited student finance available after being at another uni. Plus I literally survive off of my bursary and I no parental support so I'm scared they won't give it to me if I have to repeat a year. I suppose I need to find out what my options are.
At the university i attend there are lots of support systems for various issues including mental health. Obviously from what you've said above i understand you find it difficult seeking help but im sure you uni would provide a counselling scheme. More importantly it might be useful to confide in a tutor at uni and im sure they would do everything in their power to support you. You're not screwed! It might feel like it now but theres always a way!
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It's been a while since I've been to the doc or the disability as I have a fear of getting into trouble. I've been making out like I can cope just fine whilst I've been suffering and now it may be too late. None the less I'm going to book in to see them now and see where I get.

I'v definitely thought about this, however as I mentioned I have limited student finance available after being at another uni. Plus I literally survive off of my bursary and I no parental support so I'm scared they won't give it to me if I have to repeat a year. I suppose I need to find out what my options are.

Hi

I just wanted to say please don't stress about student finance. You may be able to claim another year of funding from SFE to retake the year if you fail or need to leave due to a health condition (such as mental health).

You won't get in trouble for having mental health problems. Speak to your doctor and the disability team - they are there to help you, not tell you off. They want to assist you to get through your degree. I have had to repeat third year due to mental health, and your health is the important thing here. Try and access support for your mental health as well such as counselling etc

x
Nobody wants you to fail. Nobody will 'tell you off' and the support is available - you just need to ask. They can't see that you're having an internal meltdown and will assume you're just being a lazy student.

Go to the Dr - tell them your woes, perhaps get on some medication if you think it'll help.
Your university will definitely have a well-being office/person who can help. A lot of students develop mental health issues such as stress, anxiety, depression and so on, so they're prepared for whatever you throw at them and can even extend deadlines or offer an onsite counseller.

Feeling like you've hit rock bottom is a good thing, the only way is up.

Quick Reply

Latest