The Student Room Group

What to do when you have a friend who is depressed?

I've not been diagnosed with depression myself but I feel down a lot, he on the other hand has been.

At first I thought it was a good thing, I understood him and he understood me, but now I feel like we are feeding off each others energy.

He definitely is worse than I am with his overdosing and everything. It's starting to worry me, what do I say? I don't know his family at all because he lives in a different town, we met on TSR.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've not been diagnosed with depression myself but I feel down a lot, he on the other hand has been.

At first I thought it was a good thing, I understood him and he understood me, but now I feel like we are feeding off each others energy.

He definitely is worse than I am with his overdosing and everything. It's starting to worry me, what do I say? I don't know his family at all because he lives in a different town, we met on TSR.

:hugs: If he's like me, as long as you try to support him he'll be a little happier:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friends are always just supportive and listen to me when I need to vent or have a moan or just generally feel ****. However, take care of yourself - if he's dragging your mood down a lot then you need some space, as harsh as it sounds.
Original post by Anonymous

I don't want to sound preachy but firstly, depression isn't just about "feeling down" (obviously, there's probably more to you than what you're saying)! & What helps me personally is kinda like knowing I have a purpose? So inform him of his purpose/why he should stay here (e.g. If he makes your life less sucky, let him know)!
Let him know that you're there for him. But it's important that (as has been mentioned) that you look after yourself too. You can't be a substitute for professional help. I did used to know someone who did expect me to do that and it sucked. I was dealing with my own issues at the time. I was not willing to deal with his problems. There's one thing just wanting someone to talk to, which to me, is fine.

It's also unhealthy for both of you to be in the situation where he's relying on you to deal with his problems.
Reply 5
Just be there to support him. Let him know that you will always be there for him and comfort him during the dark days.

But you also need to remember to look after yourself too. Being his one and only support can be overwhelming.
Do you know if he is seeking professional help of any kind?

Feel free to PM me if you feel like it's overwhelming you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending