The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are there so many annoying Americans everywhere?

Why are there so many Americans everywhere in England? Even in my town which isn't a tourist area, I sometimes hear them (they're pretty hard not to hear). They're just so loud and annoying (not to mention obnoxious), why are there so many of them everywhere?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some Americans are fine and some are not very pleasant, just like any other nationality/ethnicity. Please don't define people by where they come from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd take more of them in personally.
Reply 3
Annoying? :frown:
Well, they're getting used to UK culture and exploring? Well it all depends on the American. Some are quiet and some are rowdy.
Reply 4
Original post by thesabbath
There aren't many peoples about whom you could make such a thread without it being deleted. This one, being about White gentiles, will stay up.

Since when are Americans only white?
By definition, you don't hear the quiet Americans so the conclusions you've drawn might be a bit off the mark when generalising "Americans."

Americans have their faults. They are much more likely to be generous than Brits and much more likely to be friendly.
Original post by zigglr
Why are there so many Americans everywhere in England? Even in my town which isn't a tourist area, (they're pretty hard not to hear). They're just so loud and annoying (not to mention obnoxious), why are there so many of them everywhere?

Frankly it sounds like you are posting based on stereotypes and you've managed to convince yourself that this genuinely is a problem. I wonder whether this has actually happened to you even once. In fact, it's a pretty idiotic stereotype generally spread by people who have never actually been to the US or spent much time with expat Americans

Most Americans are very polite and respectful when travelling overseas, much more so than Europeans tend to be and much more than English tend to be. Most Brits who have spent any time in America comment on how lovely Americans are, how great the customer service is there, how genuinely curious they are about foreigners.

I sometimes hear them

Aww, poor baby
(edited 8 years ago)
What are there so many annoying Blacks everywhere?
Why are there so many black people everywhere in England? Even in my town which isn't a tourist area, I sometimes hear them (they're pretty hard not to hear). They're just so loud and annoying (not to mention obnoxious), why are there so many of them

^If you wrote that as the thread title it would probably get deleted, but offending Americans is fine to you?
Original post by Supersaps
Americans have their faults. They are much more likely to be generous than Brits and much more likely to be friendly.

This, 100%. As I mentioned in the comment above, most Brits who have spent any time in American will comment on how polite they are, how respectfully curious they are about foreigners and how unself-conscious they are in striking up conversations. My experience of Americans has been much more positive than France and Italy (and I love both of those countries, but its inhabitants can be incredibly up themselves in a way I've found Americans often aren't)
Original post by hoping4Astars

^If you wrote that as the thread title it would probably get deleted, but offending Americans is fine to you?

Xenophobia and prejudice against Americans is one of the last remaining acceptable ones, particularly in Europe and, in my experience, particularly amongst centre-left middle-class Europeans who haven't actually been to America and who seem to take great delight in feeling superior to Americans.

Most of the people I meet with this attitude have never even left Europe, which is pretty much the equivalent of an American who doesn't own a passport (something with many Europeans are often quick to point out about Americans)

In fact, you'll see this kind of patronising xenophobia against Anglophone new world societies like America and Australia. It's a kind of colonial overseer attitude that makes parochial lefty Europeans feel more sophisticated than they really are
Why are there so many black people everywhere in England? Even in my town which isn't a tourist area, I sometimes hear them (they're pretty hard not to hear). They're just so loud and annoying (not to mention obnoxious), why are there so many of them

Good point, well made. I hadn't even thought of that.
Original post by thesabbath
There aren't many peoples about whom you could make such a thread without it being deleted. This one, being about White gentiles, will stay up.

Seems like you have a bit of an issue with the Jews? Embittered perhaps?
ohhhh you seen this?:frown:
Reply 13
GTFO. You're done.
They're quite decent people I find. They can't win, if they didn't travel here they would be called insular/ignorant. Much better than the legions of Chinese, and east european people we get here instead.
Saliency bias, followed by confirmation bias. Now go to bed.
I dunno how Americans manage to rape and destroy the English language to such an extent that it's so painful to listen to!
I dunno how Americans manage to rape and destroy the English language to such an extent that it's so painful to listen to!
You don't like it? -------- >move.
Reply 19

Maybe because yours is racist and mine isn't?

Latest

Trending

Trending