The Student Room Group

Suffering from anxeity / low self-esteem

I'm quite a shy person and sometimes this can be very frustrating. I'm not good at making new friends becuase when I meet people I'm not very talkative, hence I come accros as weird, miserable and cold when I'm the complete opposite. I have lost many friends who are loud, outgoing etc because they loss patience with me for being shy. Also, I'm not the most handsome bloke in town which doesn't help matters. Strangely my best mate is the complete oppposite to me. He's very loud, extrovert and very outgoing. He's always telling me too build up my confidence but its easier said then done. He always telling me

'if I had a 2:1 degree from Manchester Uni and a masters from Bristol Uni and Grade 8 violin like you have, I'd think I'm God''

I know I sound like a total sad case but my low eslf-esteem/lack of confidence is really worrying me.

Has anyone got advice for me to improve my confidence?
Hey
Well i have mild social anxiety and in secondary school i was veryyy shy and most of the friends i made, made friends with me rather than me making friends with them.
What i did was create a list of things to do each day, like put your hand up in lesson or say good morning to someone who walks past
little things like that made me feel a little more confident, and overtime youll be able to do it without thinking and it wont make you anxious or afraid to do it
watching videos online really helped me as well, like how to be confident and how to have self confidence
i think the first step is to self love, because i was quite insecure and self conscious, so i just listed things that i liked about myself and instead of dwelling on the things i didnt like, just think about things you have accomplished or things you like
confidence doesnt obviously come to you straight away, it will take time, and even if it means going to a party or doing something you feel uncomfortable, itll be worth it in the end
so hang on in there!!
hope this helped :smile:
if it makes you feel better, being shy is a much more attractive trait than being overly confident

also dont see this as something that i suggesting you change yourself because im an introvert but i still like going out with my friends and being sociable.
and if your not into that kinda thing, theres no point in changing, youll find people who will be in exactly the same position you are in :smile:
same here... i am also a shy person and i hardly talk to people who are not my type of people...
there are people who are loud and kinda bitchy people but i would rather sit alone than make a relation to those who are bitchy
but i have made friends that are kind overall and so helpful
i would suggest you to join any sports club and make friends out there add this may help you to built your self-esteem :h:
Reply 4
i used to be horrible in conversations too, just trying to understand and stop daydreaming /wondering off from conversation with my so called friends was very hard. I think I started to be more engaged with conversations by just actually look at the people's face or eyes directly so I would feel more like I am actually "there". This thus helps me to have more interactions with other people and understand them more. Since I have more interactions with them I think it kind of shows I care about them. However when I am not in the mood to interact I just back away, because I am not sure if you have it but I sometimes do feel pressurised by just being around with a group of people.

I find it easier to interact with people which have similar intrest because usually there is a common topic between us and it is just easier to talk if I know about the topic and can add opinions or suggestions when appropriate.

With other people which I don't have much common with I just started off with talking about the weather or their interests or their experiences and hope the conversation can develop from there.
Original post by Mosmps1
i used to be horrible in conversations too, just trying to understand and stop daydreaming /wondering off from conversation with my so called friends was very hard. I think I started to be more engaged with conversations by just actually look at the people's face or eyes directly so I would feel more like I am actually "there". This thus helps me to have more interactions with other people and understand them more. Since I have more interactions with them I think it kind of shows I care about them. However when I am not in the mood to interact I just back away, because I am not sure if you have it but I sometimes do feel pressurised by just being around with a group of people.

I find it easier to interact with people which have similar intrest because usually there is a common topic between us and it is just easier to talk if I know about the topic and can add opinions or suggestions when appropriate.

With other people which I don't have much common with I just started off with talking about the weather or their interests or their experiences and hope the conversation can develop from there.

Such as watching anime 😉
Reply 6
Original post by Amina.S16
Such as watching anime 😉

Are you a big anime fan??:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest