The Student Room Group

M2 moments question

20160216_162546.jpg
Attachment not found

Spent 20 mins on it and cant see where i have gone wrong lol. Answer is 50g/root 11.

Question is from edexcel m2 book, mixed exersice 5e, question 1. Thanks in advance!!
Reply 1
Take moments about the top of the ladder. The angles you are dealing with are Cos^-1 (5/6) and Cos^-1 (root 11/6).
The reaction at the bottom of the ladder is vertical and must be 20g due to all smooth surfaces. Is this where you are caught?

if you CW = Anti CW you end up with an equation in T giving T=50g/root 11 as required.

In your answer you have used the wrong angle on the RHS

A tip to get answers to questions. Frame your pictures so that they are vertical when viewed in a browser. Saves your free support team a lot of clicks.
(edited 8 years ago)
It should be punishable by death to post sideways images.
Original post by nerak99
Take moments about the top of the ladder. The angles you are dealing with are Cos^-1 (5/6) and Cos^-1 (root 11/6).
The reaction at the bottom of the ladder is vertical and must be 20g due to all smooth surfaces. Is this where you are caught?

if you CW = Anti CW you end up with an equation in T giving T=50g/root 11 as required.

In your answer you have used the wrong angle on the RHS

A tip to get answers to questions. Frame your pictures so that they are vertical when viewed in a browser. Saves your free support team a lot of clicks.

Thank you very much for the reply, I managed to figure it out since I released the angle for T couldn't be the same for R1 meaning i was able to get T in the end, Sorry about the sideways picture, i had to use my phone and it was a real pain to get the photo on, let alone have it horizontally.
Original post by Argylesocksrox
It should be punishable by death to post sideways images.

Haha im sorry, I had to use my phone to get the picture on which was a real pain!!

Quick Reply

Latest