The Student Room Group

I've completely lost all motivation

I have been diagnosed with depression and social anxiety recently and I am feel so unmotivated and down, I have 11 pieces of coursework that is due for this week and I can't do it, I have taken another day off college due to feeling like ****, I don't know if I can continue and finish my course tbh, I don't know if I can do it anymore, it's taking too much out of me now. :frown: :cry:
Original post by JonJo000
I have been diagnosed with depression and social anxiety recently and I am feel so unmotivated and down, I have 11 pieces of coursework that is due for this week and I can't do it, I have taken another day off college due to feeling like s**t, I don't know if I can continue and finish my course tbh, I don't know if I can do it anymore, it's taking too much out of me now. :frown: :cry:

:console:

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. It's so difficult to try and learn how to manage illness when you're in the middle of studying. Both of those things require all of your time, so trying to deal with them both together can seem unmanageable. I don't know what kind of study you're currently working on - my anxiety developed just before my second year of A levels and I had to make the decision, after a lot of having to leave my classes, taking days off, and feeling unbelievably stressed and unable to carry on, to say to my college that I was going to be studying at home until my exams. They allowed me to do that (probably because they were desperate for me not to drop out altogether) but I don't know whether this is possible for everyone. Have you spoken to your college about your struggles, though? You'll only find out how much help they're willing to provide if you speak to them and be completely honest about how you're feeling. There's usually a disability service or support staff in colleges who you can go to if you don't feel like going to your tutor. They might be able to ease some pressure on you, or help you access work at home if you can't make it in as often as you would like.

Whatever you do you have to make yourself the priority. Education is important but if it gets so bad that you feel you really can't continue you have to prioritise your health and maybe postpone your studies in order to focus on taking care of yourself. Opportunities will always be there after recovery.
I have been diagnosed with depression and social anxiety recently and I am feel so unmotivated and down, I have 11 pieces of coursework that is due for this week and I can't do it, I have taken another day off college due to feeling like s**t, I don't know if I can continue and finish my course tbh, I don't know if I can do it anymore, it's taking too much out of me now. :frown: :cry:

https://gyazo.com/41c8623bfe8a21a8652e690852c37956
Original post by mscaffrey
:console:

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. It's so difficult to try and learn how to manage illness when you're in the middle of studying. Both of those things require all of your time, so trying to deal with them both together can seem unmanageable. I don't know what kind of study you're currently working on - my anxiety developed just before my second year of A levels and I had to make the decision, after a lot of having to leave my classes, taking days off, and feeling unbelievably stressed and unable to carry on, to say to my college that I was going to be studying at home until my exams. They allowed me to do that (probably because they were desperate for me not to drop out altogether) but I don't know whether this is possible for everyone. Have you spoken to your college about your struggles, though? You'll only find out how much help they're willing to provide if you speak to them and be completely honest about how you're feeling. There's usually a disability service or support staff in colleges who you can go to if you don't feel like going to your tutor. They might be able to ease some pressure on you, or help you access work at home if you can't make it in as often as you would like.

Whatever you do you have to make yourself the priority. Education is important but if it gets so bad that you feel you really can't continue you have to prioritise your health and maybe postpone your studies in order to focus on taking care of yourself. Opportunities will always be there after recovery.

I started feeling depressed after my great aunt died in January of this year, my grandmother died last year in January as well, so it's extra hard for me, I was very very close to my grandmother, I loved her so much and I loved my great aunt very much as well but I wasn't as close to my great aunt as I was to my grandmother, I'm studying BTEC Extended Diploma in Travel and Tourism at my local F.E. college and I'm in my last year. My homelife isn't that great as well, my father's an alcoholic and my mum has Major Depressive Disorder.
Reply 4
I had problems with motivation whilst i was doing my bachelors degree in engineering. I finally gritted my teeth, and grabbed a shovel (to make the work fly). After i graduated, i discovered that the old adage: "Those who can - do, those who cannot - teach." to be true. REAL engineering i found to be much more engaging and enjoyable than studying engineering. Later on, i went back and did a masters degree in engineering. That was much better - the instructors had "day jobs" in engineering, and knew what they were talking about. Later still, i ended up teaching a few courses (at graduate level). Hang in there. Depending upon where you are in your courses, you might want to re-assess your choice of career, and see what your job prospects are in your current degree track. I've heard of ppl in the Uk who completed a degree, and then were unable to get a job. That must be a real "downer". Good luck to you!! Remember, doing it for real, is much more fun and satisfying than studying doing it. Cheers.
I started feeling depressed after my great aunt died in January of this year, my grandmother died last year in January as well, so it's extra hard for me, I was very very close to my grandmother, I loved her so much and I loved my great aunt very much as well but I wasn't as close to my great aunt as I was to my grandmother, I'm studying BTEC Extended Diploma in Travel and Tourism at my local F.E. college and I'm in my last year. My homelife isn't that great as well, my father's an alcoholic and my mum has Major Depressive Disorder.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother and great aunt. My anxiety was also triggered by the deaths of people close to me (I lost my dad and grandfather) and it really makes it difficult to focus on your studies because the work can seem so meaningless in comparison to what's happening in your real life.

It would be a shame for you to have to leave college now, with you being in your final year. Do you have a dream job in the travel and tourism industry? Sometimes thinking about what you ultimately want is the only thing that can really motivate you just to power through something that you're struggling with. I know that BTECs can get kind of crazy because it's all coursework that you ideally have to be motivated to do by yourself, but there is the advantage of being able to do assignments at home if you need to. Perhaps if your college were aware of your struggle to attend classes they would allow you to do some work from home? That might make you feel more able to get up and do your work while at home, rather than spending your energy on feeling guilty about not making it to classes.

We seem to have eerily similar circumstances - even down to the mum with depression and alcoholic father (I also studied BTEC Travel and Tourism, but it was only a Level 2 certificate). I know how difficult it can be trying to focus at college when you're using so much emotional energy coping with home life. Sometimes you don't even realise the energy it's taking until you start to get the symptoms of anxiety and depression. I now have help from a carer support agency. I don't know whether you're in contact with anyone like that but I know that it would have helped me if I'd known about the support available to me when I was studying at college. They just help you feel less responsible for everyone's emotions and circumstances and help to make sure you're living life for you and getting the support you need. You can access this help even if the support you provide is emotional rather than physical (and anyone who lives with somebody who has clinical depression is providing emotional support). If you want to talk about things more either on this thread or via PM I'm always around.

Quick Reply

Latest