The Student Room Group

10 steps to empower the poor and hurt the rich!

Are you sick & tired of the ruling class creating a Britain for the rich and a rat race for the poor? Well this is how you get out of the rat race and make the rich hurt ............ badly!

Everyone one of these points takes money out of a rich persons pocket and distributes it to people whom are poorer.

1. Take your money out of the bank and put it inside a credit union or building society which is fully committed to building social housing and lending to sole trader businesses.

2. Do as much as your grocery shopping as possible with local wholesalers such as Butchers, Greengrocers, Bakers, Bargain shops and create a local price club bulk buying group.

3. Go complete green mode for your energy & heating needs & build your own infrastructure.

4. Watch news from local people on Social Media rather than listening to the main channels.

5. Put a water butt on your property connected to all roofs and use grey-water for the garden.

6. Get involved in sharing a car, opt for bicycle travel or kick start a nonprofit bus route.

7. Buy your clothes from small traders and market stores.

8. Join local campaigns to create public spaces for homeless people so they can gain some stability back in their lives.

9. Get on board with online petitions and group protesting to shift democracy in the working classes favor.

10. Never ever vote Conservative.

Scroll to see replies

Great, so the poor should spite themselves to spite the rich, sounds great.
Sometimes I wonder if this is a troll account/TSR persona because I never encounter people this bitter irl
I do numbers 2 and 4.
Original post by Lime-man
Great, so the poor should spite themselves to spite the rich, sounds great.

The poor should do everything possible to increase their own collective living standards which lifts everyone up together.

At the moment the poor are being told that competition is fantastic and we should be ruthless towards each other. Only thing that does is create a platform where people fall though the cracks and end up destitute.
Original post by _icecream
I do numbers 2 and 4.
Good on you. Your saving a lot of money that way and stopping the rich from exploiting you.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
The poor should do everything possible to increase their own collective living standards which lifts everyone up together.

At the moment the poor are being told that competition is fantastic and we should be ruthless towards each other. Only thing that does is create a platform where people fall though the cracks and end up destitute.

The poor and the rich are all part of one society, one nation. Given that there are many people on low incomes relying on wages from larger enterprises as well as SMEs, I don't disagree that we should be doing our bit to support all industry, but what you're suggesting is that the poor actively make their lives more of a farce in order to spite the rich, who whether you like it or not, provide a living for most of the people that you seem to be aiming to "empower".

For example, if I earn £7 an hour working for Tesco, and Tesco give me a discount for working with them, on top of the fact that shopping from tesco is already cheaper than the alternatives you mentioned, it becomes even cheaper for me, so despite my low income I'm still better off. Now if somehow all the people with low income did what you suggest, it would cause further detriment as some of the SMEs wouldn't be able to provide for the workforce that's then left unemployed by the larger corporations that are now out of business, and as for some of the others, is the local businesses that now have all this extra business would then become larger and turn into, you guessed it, large corporations, therefore defeating the object. Do you think that Tesco was formed as a corporation? If so, then you're stupid for thinking that and if not, then you're stupid for thinking that your points would actually achieve anything.
(edited 8 years ago)
The poor and the rich are all part of one society, one nation. Given that there are many people on low incomes relying on wages from larger enterprises as well as SMEs, I don't disagree that we should be doing our bit to support all industry, but what you're suggesting is that the poor actively make their lives more of a farce in order to spite the rich, who whether you like it or not, provide a living for most of the people that you seem to be aiming to "empower".

For example, if I earn £7 an hour working for Tesco, and Tesco give me a discount for working with them, on top of the fact that shopping from tesco is already cheaper than the alternatives you mentioned, it becomes even cheaper for me, so despite my low income I'm still better off. Now if somehow all the people with low income did what you suggest, it would cause further detriment as some of the SMEs wouldn't be able to provide for the workforce that's then left unemployed by the larger corporations that are now out of business, and as for some of the others, is the local businesses that now have all this extra business would then become larger and turn into, you guessed it, large corporations, therefore defeating the object. Do you think that Tesco was formed as a corporation? If so, then you're stupid for thinking that and if not, then you're stupid for thinking that your points would actually achieve anything.

I am not suggesting the poor should make their lives worse at the expense of the rich. I am merely saying they should cut out the middle man and claim their rightful entitlements in exchange for their wages.

Here is a good example. A bag of Potatoes costs £1 for 2.5kg. I can get 25kg for £5 from my local Greengrocer which works out as 50p for the same amount at Tesco. That is 50% cheaper than shopping at Tesco.

Also if all the jobs from 1 Tesco was split up into high street jobs there would be more jobs available and more tax paid to the Government. There would also be a end to the stupid zero hours contracts which the likes of Tesco use to pay less tax since sole trader businesses tend to need full time staff.

But also there are more benefits to the producers such as Potato farmers who live in Britain & the EU where as Tesco have outsourced production to places like Egypt.

But lets not forget Tesco has milked its producers in negative ways and got away with mob style exploitation threatening to cease business if producers don't write off payments for previous shipments. Where do you see Sole traders doing this? Sole traders are more likely to create a long relationship built on friendship and mutual collective benefit.

But inevitably the consumer has the choice whether the local businesses turn into bigger enterprises because they can suddenly just shop else where so your wrong.

The benefits can be seen by making informed choices where you spend your own money in relationship with the interests of the working class.

However it is obvious to any one that you want Tesco to keep on being successful because if they don't your have to get a job with a shop who has the support of a huge consumer base.

Don't worry in a country ruled by working class votes you would have the security of a welfare state but since we have the Tories in power I some what sympathize for your current position.

There for I will add the 11th point.

11. Unite with the unemployed and protest for their rights and welfare so they are more able to find work in the future.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am not suggesting the poor should make their lives worse at the expense of the rich. I am merely saying they should cut out the middle man and claim their rightful entitlements in exchange for their wages.

Here is a good example. A bag of Potatoes costs £1 for 2.5kg. I can get 25kg for £5 from my local Greengrocer which works out as 50p for the same amount at Tesco. That is 50% cheaper than shopping at Tesco.

Also if all the jobs from 1 Tesco was split up into high street jobs there would be more jobs available and more tax paid to the Government. There would also be a end to the stupid zero hours contracts which the likes of Tesco use to pay less tax since sole trader businesses tend to need full time staff.

But also there are more benefits to the producers such as Potato farmers who live in Britain & the EU where as Tesco have outsourced production to places like Egypt.

But lets not forget Tesco has milked its producers in negative ways and got away with mob style exploitation threatening to cease business if producers don't write off payments for previous shipments. Where do you see Sole traders doing this? Sole traders are more likely to create a long relationship built on friendship and mutual collective benefit.

But inevitably the consumer has the choice whether the local businesses turn into bigger enterprises because they can suddenly just shop else where so your wrong.

The benefits can be seen by making informed choices where you spend your own money in relationship with the interests of the working class.

However it is obvious to any one that you want Tesco to keep on being successful because if they don't your have to get a job with a shop who has the support of a huge consumer base.

Don't worry in a country ruled by working class votes you would have the security of a welfare state but since we have the Tories in power I some what sympathize for your current position.

There for I will add the 11th point.

11. Unite with the unemployed and protest for their rights and welfare so they are more able to find work in the future.

You've still missed the entire point, and you'd end up making a lot more people unemployed which would mean a much higher welfare bill and would still end up ruining everyone's lives.
You've still missed the entire point, and you'd end up making a lot more people unemployed which would mean a much higher welfare bill and would still end up ruining everyone's lives.

looks like someone is scared of the working class using free market capitalism to their own interests.

lol looks like this rich boy is worried that you are going to steal his slaves away from him.

Awwww is someone upset they cant exploit homeless dave anymore? :rolleyes:
looks like someone is scared of the working class using free market capitalism to their own interests.

Sir you should get into politics- you would get my vote.
Original post by ggreatguy270
lol looks like this rich boy is worried that you are going to steal his slaves away from him.

Awwww is someone upset they cant exploit homeless dave anymore? :rolleyes:

Lol at you thinking I'm rich. Single mother, council house born and raised. I'm just not bitter that some people have had an easier life than myself.

(edited 8 years ago)
Lol at you thinking I'm rich. Single mother, council house born and raised. I'm just not bitter that some people have had an easier life than myself.

Sure whatever you say tory boy.
Original post by ggreatguy270
Sure whatever you say tory boy.

Some day you'll grow up, look back to your posts on here, and realise your bitterness and naivety. Until then, good luck.
Some day you'll grow up, look back to your posts on here, and realise your bitterness and naivety. Until then, good luck.

Some day your slaves will be set free and your exploiting will be over tory boy.

So, just to clarify, you think that small independent businesses can sell produce more cheaply whilst spending more on staffing than Tesco? Despite not having the economies of scale or the bargaining power that Tesco have? Not that I'm a fan of Tesco - I used to work on a farm that was a major supplier to Tesco, and their demands were ridiculous - but they do have lower overheads.

For what it's worth I would have chosen to use local butchers and grocers when I was living in the UK, but their opening hours coincided very closely with my working hours. The only time they were open and I wasn't at work were Saturday mornings, when frankly I had more interesting things to be doing.
Original post by JohnGreek
This is his nth duplicate account. He's a sad kid who keeps spamming threads on TSR - one day, he'll come home from working the till at Poundland and realise that his time could have been used a lot more productively that what it is currently being used on (spamming incoherent nonsense across the forum).

Quite insulting actually. The left speak of being on the side of the working class, but make every attempt to alienate members of the working class that disagree with them.
Original post by CurlyBen
So, just to clarify, you think that small independent businesses can sell produce more cheaply whilst spending more on staffing than Tesco? Despite not having the economies of scale or the bargaining power that Tesco have? Not that I'm a fan of Tesco - I used to work on a farm that was a major supplier to Tesco, and their demands were ridiculous - but they do have lower overheads.

For what it's worth I would have chosen to use local butchers and grocers when I was living in the UK, but their opening hours coincided very closely with my working hours. The only time they were open and I wasn't at work were Saturday mornings, when frankly I had more interesting things to be doing.

This is precisely the point. Not that what he's suggesting doesn't come from a good place, but it's completely idealistic. It would end up destroying the economy pushing all the people that he's claiming to be helping into poverty and destitution.
Reply 19

Are you sick & tired of the ruling class creating a Britain for the rich and a rat race for the poor? Well this is how you get out of the rat race and make the rich hurt ............ badly!

Everyone one of these points takes money out of a rich persons pocket and distributes it to people whom are poorer.

1. Take your money out of the bank and put it inside a credit union or building society which is fully committed to building social housing and lending to sole trader businesses.

2. Do as much as your grocery shopping as possible with local wholesalers such as Butchers, Greengrocers, Bakers, Bargain shops and create a local price club bulk buying group.

3. Go complete green mode for your energy & heating needs & build your own infrastructure.

4. Watch news from local people on Social Media rather than listening to the main channels.

5. Put a water butt on your property connected to all roofs and use grey-water for the garden.

6. Get involved in sharing a car, opt for bicycle travel or kick start a nonprofit bus route.

7. Buy your clothes from small traders and market stores.

8. Join local campaigns to create public spaces for homeless people so they can gain some stability back in their lives.

9. Get on board with online petitions and group protesting to shift democracy in the working classes favor.

10. Never ever vote Conservative.

Thanks. Memorised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending