The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry 7404/1 and 7404/2 - 27th May 2016 and 10th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

guys have any of you done the set 2 specimen paper?
Original post by haes
CGP

same, that book does have mistakes and does't explain some things that well
Reply 582
You know the definition for saturated means "contains single bonds only" according to a mark scheme, then is a carbon with a cation classifed as a saturated hydrocarbon or an unsaturated hydrocarbon?

Also the free radical substituion part, it says the CFCs were banned and scientists developed safer alternatives that didnot contain chlorine, doesthis mean fluorine cannot act as a free radical?? Cz im pretty sure i saw bromine as a free radical the other day

Thanks xx
Reply 583
Original post by monoman
For a larger conical flask, the concentration of the particles is less. Therefore, there are fewer collisons and the reaction is slower, which makes it takes longer for the reaction to be completed

Thats because the volume has increased, concentration will decrease following n=CV which means less collisions between molecules and slower rate of reaction x
Original post by sameer99
guys have any of you done the set 2 specimen paper?

Nope, do you have a link?
and if i were you, i would go onto youtube and watch Dr Orchard's walkthrough for the paper
Original post by sameer99
and if i were you, i would go onto youtube and watch Dr Orchard's walkthrough for the paper

Ok, thx :smile:
Original post by Jkelly-11
If you do nucleophilic substitution with CN to something like 3-bromopentane and have to name the compound formed, does the carbon bonded to the nitrogen become carbon number 1 and therefore have the name as 2-ethylbutanenitrile

yes it does become carbon one, and you are right about the name.
Reply 589
Original post by tajtsracc
Could someone sum up Required Practical 5: Distillation of a product from a reaction? The textbooks that I have don't sum it up all that well. :/

So its basically purifying the product in this case cyclohexene from cyclohexanol

1) Add concentrated H2SO4 and H3PO4 in the flask containing cyclohexanol
2)Add boiling chips as well to make it boil more calmly
3)Set up the distillation apparatus (thermometer, condenser, flask)
4) Heat the mixture up to 83C so that every chemicals with bo 83 will evaporate
5)The condenser contains water, which will turn gas to liquid and it will be collected to the flask

6)Pour the product into the separating funnel and add water
7)The aqueous layer should be drained off in the bottom and there will be impure cyclohexene left behind

8)Pour it into a flask
9)Add anhydrous CaCl2 and leave it for 20 min so that it will dry
10)Distilling the product and the gases that boil at 83C will be pure cyclohexene

Hope this helps
Basically the textbook but how I memorised it in 10 steps x
Original post by Lola1244
yes it does become carbon one, and you are right about the name.

Thanks!
Well it's definitely not an unsaturated hydrocarbon because it doesn't contain any double bonds but then it isn't exactly saturated???? If I had to go with one I'd go with saturated but I don't think it's either tbh.

If you use fluorine instead the C-F bond is a lot stronger so it doesn't break up in the atmosphere hence no ozone depletion. However if you use bromine the C-Br bond is a lot weaker so it breaks before it reaches the upper atmosphere before the ozone layer hence no ozone depletion either.
Do you guys think aby Pv=nRT stuff will come up
Original post by 17lina
So its basically purifying the product in this case cyclohexene from cyclohexanol

1) Add concentrated H2SO4 and H3PO4 in the flask containing cyclohexanol
2)Add boiling chips as well to make it boil more calmly
3)Set up the distillation apparatus (thermometer, condenser, flask)
4) Heat the mixture up to 83C so that every chemicals with bo 83 will evaporate
5)The condenser contains water, which will turn gas to liquid and it will be collected to the flask

6)Pour the product into the separating funnel and add water
7)The aqueous layer should be drained off in the bottom and there will be impure cyclohexene left behind

8)Pour it into a flask
9)Add anhydrous CaCl2 and leave it for 20 min so that it will dry
10)Distilling the product and the gases that boil at 83C will be pure cyclohexene

Hope this helps
Basically the textbook but how I memorised it in 10 steps x

Do you need to have both H2SO4 and H3PO4 or just one of the two???
Original post by Laam13
Do you think bonding questions will come up? Paper 1 was pretty full of them so what do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

personally i dont think you should rule it out as aqa can put anything on the test that the spec says and they might do bonding again to catch people out
Original post by SuperHuman98
Do you guys think aby Pv=nRT stuff will come up

it's hard to say, as from what i remember it did come up in paper 1 but if it does come up it probably won't be a long calculation
(edited 7 years ago)
I FINALLY UNDERSTAND HESS.

HALLELUJAH! :ahee:
Let's hope AQA won't screw us over all again. Good luck to all, we will all need it my fellow AS Chemists!
Original post by Turtlebunny
Let's hope AQA won't screw us over all again. Good luck to all, we will all need it my fellow AS Chemists!

Dam you AQA
Reply 599
Original post by Turtlebunny

How did you find the first paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending