The Student Room Group

Durham or Leeds?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reenie.stp
Hi,
I'm really struggling to decide where to firm out of Durham and Leeds. I have an offer from Durham of AAB to study Japanese and I have an offer from Leeds to study BA Chinese and Japanese (5 year course with 2 years abroad) for BBB if I firm it and pass the Access to Leeds module, and if not, the offer is AAB. Durham's a more prestigious uni compared to Leeds, smaller and safer, however Leeds has more contact hours for the language, I'd have a degree in both Japanese and Chinese, two years abroad etc. Any advice or help would be appreciated!
Thanks! :smile:

Hey OP! I'm genuinely amazed when reading this bc I'm in exactly the same situation as u were when u posted this (I speak Spanish fluently and German pretty well, and am applying for the same courses in ur post, and even considering same career path of IB/Law- this is freaky!) So I wouldn't normally revive such an old thread but I need to know: which course did you choose in the end, and how are you finding it? I'm weighing up the same things u mentioned about single vs joint honours, and am not too sure if Chinese and Japanese both ab initio is a bad idea in terms of language retention, not to mention workload. Plus, I feel the same way as mentioned about prestige, and I wouldn't be considering Durham if it weren't for the fact that it could possibly make finding a place on a training contract/ graduate scheme that much easier. I think the city vibe is much more my scene, as I've spent most of my life in a village about the same size as Durham and am in dire need of a more dynamic environment, but equally Durham places higher on leagues both generally and for EAS. Plus, the module options look equally interesting at both unis, minus the fact that Durham would only be one language of course. Also I don't like the fact that Durham has lower state school representation than Oxford- how is that even possible lol??

Going to visit Durham tomorrow- hopefully that will clear things up a little!

PS If ur at Leeds, how are you managing to keep the Japanese up whilst in China, and vice versa?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending