The Student Room Group

Uni Choice Help?

I'm Y12 going into Y13 and I'm going to apply for Natural Sciences. I'm probably going to be predicted A*A*AA in Maths, F Maths, Biology, and Chemistry, and am trying decide which 5 universities to put on my UCAS. I'm definitely going to try for Cambridge and Durham (bc why not) and my other options are (with entry requirements) -

- Nottingham - A*AA
- Leeds - A*AA or AAB depending on whether I'm flagged for access
- Lancaster - AAA
- Loughborough - AAB
- UEA - AAA
- Huddersfield - BBC

Is it worth me applying to Huddersfield as a just-in-case as it has lower entry requirements, or would it be okay to apply to 5 unis with AAB+ entry requirements?

Thanks!
Original post by tastierspoon460
I'm Y12 going into Y13 and I'm going to apply for Natural Sciences. I'm probably going to be predicted A*A*AA in Maths, F Maths, Biology, and Chemistry, and am trying decide which 5 universities to put on my UCAS. I'm definitely going to try for Cambridge and Durham (bc why not) and my other options are (with entry requirements) -

- Nottingham - A*AA
- Lancaster - AAA
- Loughborough - AAB
- UEA - AAA
- Huddersfield - BBC

Is it worth me applying to Huddersfield as a just-in-case as it has lower entry requirements, or would it be okay to apply to 5 unis with AAB+ entry requirements?

Thanks!

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a third year in natural sciences studying synthetic chemistry and biochemistry pathways at Lancaster so thought I’d share a bit about my degree.

At Lancaster there is a pathway system whereby students pick three pathways from across all branches of chemistry, physics, maths, biology, geography and psychology, just to name a few. The full list of pathways and entry requirements for Lancaster can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/

I know there is also there is also the option to take a non science subject as your third pathway and throughout your degree 25% of your credits can be in a non science subject.

There is also the option to alter you pathway choices as you progress through your degree. For me this was extremely valuable as I was able to drop my physical chemistry pathway after first year to allow for a greater focus on biochemistry.
One of the best things about natural sciences is the vast range of experiences you get and people you meet.

Since you study alongside the single honours students across multiple departments, you get to see so many more faces and there is never a lonely lecture. It’s also great to see how all the different sciences interlink and you can often apply something you learnt in one subject to one of your other pathways which is fascinating!

Above all that though, the department itself is really friendly and has such a welcoming atmosphere. Like you could knock on any lecturers door and they’d be happy to help you with anything.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any

Oliver (Student Ambassador)

- Nottingham - A*AA
- Lancaster - AAA
- Loughborough - AAB
- UEA - AAA
- Huddersfield - BBC

Thanks!

My suggested options would be:

Cambridge
Durham
Leeds
Lancaster
UEA

I would suggest applying strategically. Apply as early as possible to Cambridge, Durham and Leeds to see whether you will receive offers (hopefully by December for Durham and Leeds). You can then use the remaining two options for Lancaster and UEA depending on the outcome.

If you apply to Cambridge, join the Cambridge applicants thread. Good luck

- Nottingham - A*AA
- Lancaster - AAA
- Loughborough - AAB
- UEA - AAA
- Huddersfield - BBC

Thanks!

You dont need to go as low as Huddersfield. Anywhere asking for those low grades is likely to be in clearing anyway. Choose 1 of Leeds and Nottingham with Lancaster and Loughborough. This should ensure you get offers and cover you if your grades are lower than expected. Every year there are courses available in clearing at AAB universities and lower. There is also the possibility that one of your universities will accept lower than their published grades on A level results day. Most end up accepting 1 dropped grade.

- Nottingham - A*AA
- Lancaster - AAA
- Loughborough - AAB
- UEA - AAA
- Huddersfield - BBC

Thanks!

Hey @tastierspoon460,

I know you've mentioned Loughborough in your post. I just wanted to say that if you have any questions about studying at Loughborough to help with narrowing down your five choices, just let us know :smile:

- Lindsay
Reply 5
For Nat Sci remember that each Uni will offer a slightly different course options / pathways depending on the science etc subjects offered by that Uni - always check subject options carefully and make sure it is actually what you want to do.

Also, any work placement or study abroad opportunity will add enormously to your degree and your graduate employment opportunities - again, check carefully to see if this is on offer.

And dont choose any University that you dont actually want to go to - ie. its better to pick another subject at a 'better fit' Uni than pick H'field if you have no real intention of actually going there.
I wouldn't bother with huddersfield (or maybe even UEA) if you're fairly confident you'll get at least 3 As. Im at Leeds currently for maths, and they let me in with ABB (maths, FM, physics).
Otherwise, all I would say is that if you dont like clubbing/going out/drinking at all, I would probably pick Lancaster over Leeds. Both are amazing unis, but you should look into the atmosphere and social life of each!
Reply 7
Having been to Lancaster and Leeds with the eldest (physics) on open days she weighed up the pros and cons. Both are excellent unis, wow the ec stoner building in Leeds was enormous and had its own physics cafe. Library wise, although Leeds had some libraries, the one at Lancaster is much bigger. It was big anyway, but then had an extention a couple of years back which added a further third to its size lol.
Her flat mate from first year at Lancaster has just recently graduated from natural sciences, and during the three years, she would see him in some of the modules and he really enjoyed his time there.
Leeds is a bigger city and she felt a bit overwhelmed, coming from a village at home, so she went to Lancaster as the campus felt safe and well lit, as well as the city being smaller and having accommodation open for 2nd year plus on halls if needed. She has lived in the city since 2nd year and its got all she needs shops wise, and the amount of bars and pubs is quite a lot. Lancaster has 3 clubs, Sugarhouse which is student run and Vibe, as well as generation which is lgbtqia+. . Leeds on the other hand has clubs on its campus as well as the city, so its got far more. Leeds has a bus which takes you down the A64 to scarborough coastline, ive seen it lots of times when travelling to Scarborough, although im not sure how long it takes.
Lancaster has a bus from campus to morecambe which is about 45 mins, or theres one to Blackpool as well as Preston, and you can catch the 500 to the lakes as well as the train. Lancaster has Williamson park which has amazing views and also the Castle as well.

Nottingham is my home city :smile: And its quite a decent size city as well. Hockley are is very popular with students with lots of little bars and restaurants there. There is also a section called the cornerhouse which has tgi fridays, a bar on the top floor, adventure golf, a cinema, and turtle bay which has gorgeous Caribbean food. It has all the staples of Lancaster and leeds, primark, sport clothing shops, new look etc. Victoria centre is the shopping centre here. Nottingham has parking, but its students mainly use the tram to go in and out. Lenton and Beeston are the student areas after 2nd year. Its campus is very nice, its about the same distance as Lancaster campus is to its city (15 mins on bus/tram) and its also got a lake as well as Lancasters which is nice to walk round. Nottingham has an ice rink, and bowling , galleries of justice, as well as the caves.

Id probably do Cambridge/ Durham/ Nottingham A*AA or Leeds A*AA /Lancaster AAA/ Loughborough AAB.
That way you got a wider range of entrance grades. Also some may drop as well, you never know :smile:
Hi OP,
Another Lancaster student here! I’m Ella, a 4th year MSci just graduated. Oliver offered all the technical reasons to come to Lancaster to do NatSci so I’ll see what I can add.
I really liked doing NatSci at Lancaster, it’ll give you lots of chances to adapt your degree to what you’re really interested in.

Obviously I would suggest Lancaster as a first choice but realistically it would make a great insurance. I know lots of people here who had a very similar ucas list to yours and are super happy they didn’t get their oxbridge offer. 😁😁

NatSci has the highest average UCAS tariff of any degree pathway at Lancaster, even higher than the medics. So, you’ll be around lots of people who might also have gone through the oxbridge application process.

Lancaster would offer a sociable and peaceful university experience with lots of societies and a lovely campus plus the high level research university energy.

I’ve liked it so much I’m staying there for PhD.

Ella 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending