The Student Room Group

Shall I do Further Maths A-Level?

Hi. I'm in Year 13 right now. I am doing Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I was doing Further Maths last year, so I have covered all the Maths content. But, I dropped it towards the end of last year, thinking I am going do dentistry. But, I have decided now I want to pursue Maths to a greater degree. I have spoken about the possibility of my taking up Further Maths again. They said it was possible, but that I have missed 24 lessons and it would be hard to catch up. I want to do it, but I don't want it affecting my other levels and my chances of getting 3A*s. But I was thinking, I could possibly catch up in the holidays. I'm not sure. What do you guys think?
Original post by Zara10
Hi. I'm in Year 13 right now. I am doing Maths, Biology and Chemistry. I was doing Further Maths last year, so I have covered all the Maths content. But, I dropped it towards the end of last year, thinking I am going do dentistry. But, I have decided now I want to pursue Maths to a greater degree. I have spoken about the possibility of my taking up Further Maths again. They said it was possible, but that I have missed 24 lessons and it would be hard to catch up. I want to do it, but I don't want it affecting my other levels and my chances of getting 3A*s. But I was thinking, I could possibly catch up in the holidays. I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

It depends partly on how important further maths is to your university application. Where are you thinking of applying and for what?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
It depends partly on how important further maths is to your university application. Where are you thinking of applying and for what?

Well, maybe Durham. York and Leeds. Cambridge is a bit of a long shot, and although I would like to apply there, I think I am a bit late to apply considering I have to produce a personal statement in a short period of time.
Original post by Zara10
Well, maybe Durham. York and Leeds. Cambridge is a bit of a long shot, and although I would like to apply there, I think I am a bit late to apply considering I have to produce a personal statement in a short period of time.

I believe that Further Maths is an absolute requirement for maths at Cambridge, with some colleges specifying A* in it. Plus STEP, of course. Durham's requirements are similar.

York and Leeds are within your current scope.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
I believe that Further Maths is an absolute requirement for maths at Cambridge, with some colleges specifying A* in it. Plus STEP, of course. Durham's requirements are similar.

York and Leeds are within your current scope.

Yes, that's true! So, do you think it is sensible my taking up Further Maths A-Level again. Considering what I have missed. And do you think it is possible to catch up?
Original post by Zara10
Yes, that's true! So, do you think it is sensible my taking up Further Maths A-Level again. Considering what I have missed. And do you think it is possible to catch up?

I can't comment on those questions, not least because I have no idea how good you are at maths! 😃

All I could do was point out the essential nature of FM for Cambridge and Durham.
Reply 6
Original post by Zara10

It would take a heck of a lot of work to catch up on so many missed lessons, so I don't see how you could do it without impacting your other subjects. Also, you would need to apply for UCAS in the next month or so, depending on when your school has their internal deadline, so FM is not going to help with your application unless you can rapidly catch up and somehow get your school to predict you say an A before the deadline.

Might be more sensible to just apply to the likes of Leeds and York in my opinion.
Reply 7
Original post by Zara10

I wouldn't ... you dropped it for a reason.

Plenty of good unis to choose from ...
Reply 8
Original post by lalexm
It would take a heck of a lot of work to catch up on so many missed lessons, so I don't see how you could do it without impacting your other subjects. Also, you would need to apply for UCAS in the next month or so, depending on when your school has their internal deadline, so FM is not going to help with your application unless you can rapidly catch up and somehow get your school to predict you say an A before the deadline.

Might be more sensible to just apply to the likes of Leeds and York in my opinion.

That's true! Well, because I was predicted an A* in Further Maths A-Level, they said my UCAS predicted grade would stand. So there's that. And I am getting straight A*s in maths, and I found it really easy.
Reply 9
Original post by Zara10
That's true! Well, because I was predicted an A* in Further Maths A-Level, they said my UCAS predicted grade would stand. So there's that. And I am getting straight A*s in maths, and I found it really easy.

Hmm, if you were predicted A* in FM and would be predicted that again, I'm not sure now, especially if you are getting straight A* in maths and finding it easy.

I guess if you get offers from places that require FM like Durham, you can decide whether or not to firm them in say March/April next year, once you know for sure that you are back on track with FM, so the risk would not be too high. @Muttley79 is a maths teacher I believe, so maybe he can jump back in with his opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest