The Student Room Group

How to ace the As chemistry exams??

So far I have achived a U in nearly every chemistry test so far this year.
Please can some people give me some revision tips to help me?
Thank you, much appreciated!
Original post by blahblah99
So far I have achived a U in nearly every chemistry test so far this year.
Please can some people give me some revision tips to help me?
Thank you, much appreciated!

Hi. Past papers!! :smile: I knoww, everyone says that, but its true! Once you finish a topic in class, do questions on that specific topic (our teachers give us booklets, but if you don't get em, these topic based questions must be available somewhere online). So say you finished Alcohols today in class, go home and do homework/past paper questions on Alcohols (try and do that before the week ends or before you get a test on it). Helps consolidate what you've learnt. Trust me, even if you feel like you 'can't' answer the questions, USE the markschemes (its not cheating!!:colone:). Eventually you'll find you don't need the markschemes for that specific topic because a certain (really high) percentage of the questions are repeats (just different numbers etc.).
Also, LISTEN in class and make sure you UNDERSTAND. Some people find that making notes in class helps. Don't leave that place till you're sure you do understand! :smile: Nag your teachers, that's what they're there for, they want you do do well :redface: and they'll probably be happy that you're nagging them! Shows you care :smile:.
You doing AQA/OCR? If you are, I think I can give you a link to the topic based questions. And for OCR, try watching Machemguy videos on youtube before/ after lesson.
If you feel like making notes helps, do that. Certain topics that are more knowledge based (like resources), I feel like you should make notes on, but some (like NMR), you'll find you won't need to...
And don't tell yourself that chemistrys 'too hard' or that you 'hate it' or it will become like that, just because you're psychologically telling yourself that its an impossible subject. Trust me, it reallyyy isn't and its actually quite enjoyable :tongue:.
Anyways, I'm rambling :s-smilie: if you have any specific questions, do ask and i'll try and answer em. :smile: Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest