The Student Room Group

Lower grades than entry requirements for uni

Hi there,

A question about entry requirements for studying English Literature at university - I'm taking a gap year so I haven't applied this year, but the courses I'm looking at have grade entry requirements of ABB. I take bio, chem and english but (and this is worst case) there is a chance I get a C in chem.

I'm predicted A* for English and A for bio (though I won't get below a B for it). I also took an EPQ (which I wrote a book for) and going off the raw marks I got, alongside past grade boundaries, I'll probably get a B.

Would I have to retake my chemistry A-level if I didn't get a B?

Thank you.
Id usually advise not to go for courses that you dont have the grades for however with an A* in English and only 1 grade lower than the requirements that should be fine and I'd say youve got a alright shot.

You dont need to retake chem but it'll only do you good - given that youre taking a gap year it shouldnt be a problem to spend a couple months on a bit of revision for chem before retaking in october
Their are no resits for A levels in October anymore that's only because of covid cancellations the next chance to do the exams are 2024 summer
Original post by user8937264980
Id usually advise not to go for courses that you dont have the grades for however with an A* in English and only 1 grade lower than the requirements that should be fine and I'd say youve got a alright shot.

You dont need to retake chem but it'll only do you good - given that youre taking a gap year it shouldnt be a problem to spend a couple months on a bit of revision for chem before retaking in october
Original post by user123456324
Their are no resits for A levels in October anymore that's only because of covid cancellations the next chance to do the exams are 2024 summer

Damn I didn't know that. My bad
Original post by UnknownRhythm
Hi there,

A question about entry requirements for studying English Literature at university - I'm taking a gap year so I haven't applied this year, but the courses I'm looking at have grade entry requirements of ABB. I take bio, chem and english but (and this is worst case) there is a chance I get a C in chem.

I'm predicted A* for English and A for bio (though I won't get below a B for it). I also took an EPQ (which I wrote a book for) and going off the raw marks I got, alongside past grade boundaries, I'll probably get a B.

Thank you.

If you have achieved grades of A*AC/A*BC you could ask the unis in which you are interested whether they would consider your application without a resit before you submit it.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
ask the unis in which you are interested whether they would consider your application without a resit before you submit it.

This.
Original post by UnknownRhythm
Hi there,

Thank you.

Hello UnknownRhythm,

I am a student who studies English Literature and I also had to attain at least an AAB (It was AAA before I made my uni my firm.)
Often the university that you make your firm will let you drop a grade below what they state on their website or module. If you were to get a C in chemistry I would not rule out that they wouldn't accept you. There are many factors the course managers will take in. You can also email the university directly if you are concerned!

Obviously, a C grade is not what they are looking for as they have set the grade above that. I wouldn't suggest retaking the subject either unless you are entirely sold on this university. Chances are there would be clearing options available to you.

If you got A*A*C with a specific A* in English Literature I highly doubt you would be rejected as Chemistry is far from what they are really looking for. Grades are not only a way of showing your skills but a way of showcasing effort and attainment. They will only truly care about the literature grade but they also want your other grades high to show that you are capable and hardworking! Based on your predicted grades you have stated, I would still choose that university as your firm because the A* prediction in Literature would be very appealing because of the degree you want to select.

Hope this helps!
Dominic, Lancaster University Student Ambassador
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending