The Student Room Group

Graph help?

Hi!

So, I am doing a science report. I have some raw data, which basically is the complications associated with a particular type of operation. I am using two discrete groups, basically, less experienced surgeons (<200 operations performed) and more experienced )>500 operations performed).

What I wanting to do:

1) Make a pie chart showing the percentage shift of the risks. (Thats ok, have that covered, just including it for the sake of completion).

2) Use a graph to show the trend, that with experience, the risk of complications decreases across the board. I thought, X axis would be the complications, Y axis the percentage of documentated cases; and then use a bar/column chart to show this info. Am I along the right lines.....?
Reply 1
Original post by apronedsamurai
Hi!

So, I am doing a science report. I have some raw data, which basically is the complications associated with a particular type of operation. I am using two discrete groups, basically, less experienced surgeons (<200 operations performed) and more experienced )>500 operations performed).

What I wanting to do:

1) Make a pie chart showing the percentage shift of the risks. (Thats ok, have that covered, just including it for the sake of completion).

2) Use a graph to show the trend, that with experience, the risk of complications decreases across the board. I thought, X axis would be the complications, Y axis the percentage of documentated cases; and then use a bar/column chart to show this info. Am I along the right lines.....?

You need to look at experience along the x-axis (as that is what is changing) and complication frequency on the y axis (which is what is being measured). I am not sure what your data set looks like. Assuming that it is frequency of complication (e.g. 100 ops to 120 ops => 20 complications) then you have a data set for discrete data which you could illustrate with bars but I am not enough of a statistician to say that is the best illustration. Have a looks at stats stack exchange for good advice on that.

Quick Reply

Latest