The Student Room Group

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Charnette x
My whole class, including me, had our confidence crushed after those papers :'(

:frown: I am just wondering if you have done the paper in which it said a student suggests that the circuit shown in Figure 6...

It then says discuss the limitations of this circuit when used to collect the data for the characteristic...
the mark scheme says its because you cant obtain the full range of pd... I don't get why?
Is it because that when you set the resistance of the variable resistor to a maximum there will still be a current drawn through the circuit and so there will be a current through the bulb leading to a pd across it?
and you cant get maximum pd across the bulb because there will always be a voltage drop across the variable resistor?
I dont get if there is something to do with the fact that the power supply has some internal resistance though? Because that will mean that you cant get full pd across either of them?

I know the potentiometer way is better but do not fully get it,
really appreciate if you could help:smile:
Reply 41
Original post by Lola1244
:frown: I am just wondering if you have done the paper in which it said a student suggests that the circuit shown in Figure 6...

It then says discuss the limitations of this circuit when used to collect the data for the characteristic...
the mark scheme says its because you cant obtain the full range of pd... I don't get why?
Is it because that when you set the resistance of the variable resistor to a maximum there will still be a current drawn through the circuit and so there will be a current through the bulb leading to a pd across it?
and you cant get maximum pd across the bulb because there will always be a voltage drop across the variable resistor?
I dont get if there is something to do with the fact that the power supply has some internal resistance though? Because that will mean that you cant get full pd across either of them?

I think it was because of the internal resistance, voltage is used there so the bulb cannot get the full p.d of the battery? This is from the top of my head, I think that's what I wrote down and got at least 1 of the marks.
Yea, i was thinking along those lines too. The value of the resistor was very similar to the EMF and so I'd assume that any small changes to the resistor wouldn't create much of an effect as a large pd is dropped across the battery anyway
Original post by Quido
I think it was because of the internal resistance, voltage is used there so the bulb cannot get the full p.d of the battery? This is from the top of my head, I think that's what I wrote down and got at least 1 of the marks.

how r you revising for practicals?
what do you guys find the hardest contents in physics to be ?
Reply 45
how r you revising for practicals?

Probably just read through my practical book as well as read the methods given in the text book for all 6 practicals. During the holidays though seeing as Paper 1 shouldn't have much of that.
Original post by Exavior
I really hope so otherwise I will fail more then that damn edexcel c1 paper on Wednesday!

Dude don't remind me I swear you'll trigger PTSD or something!
Could anyone tell me what each paper covers? I know all units are tested on each paper, but what is the difference between the two papers?

I asked my physics teachers but they didn't really know...
Reply 48
Original post by studentabcde
Could anyone tell me what each paper covers? I know all units are tested on each paper, but what is the difference between the two papers?

I asked my physics teachers but they didn't really know...

Paper 1 tests all the content, all 6 chapters in the textbook.

Paper 2 also tests that in section B, which is similar to paper 1 questions and section C, which is 30 multiple choice questions. Section A in this paper has the practical skills stuff, like data analysis and uncertainties.
has anyone tried the specimen papers. I found them hard lol

They are awful aren't they? I cried in both exams! Praying for easier ones on Tuesday
Reply 50
Original post by mollyjoy1998
They are awful aren't they? I cried in both exams! Praying for easier ones on Tuesday

If it all goes badly, we can all cry together here on the forum :tongue:
Original post by Quido
If it all goes badly, we can all cry together here on the forum :tongue:

Ready for that😂 . To be honest I'm more worried about paper two because of the questions that are making up for the ISA. Because I'm just SHOCKING at those sort of things when it isn't my own data. Let's hope some nice electricity and mechanics stuff comes up
Reply 52
Ready for that😂 . To be honest I'm more worried about paper two because of the questions that are making up for the ISA. Because I'm just SHOCKING at those sort of things when it isn't my own data. Let's hope some nice electricity and mechanics stuff comes up

My worst part is the multiple choice, they are worth 1 mark but amount of working required to get the answer would be worth 3 or 4 marks in Paper 1. The new spec is ridiculous D:
Original post by Quido
My worst part is the multiple choice, they are worth 1 mark but amount of working required to get the answer would be worth 3 or 4 marks in Paper 1. The new spec is ridiculous D:

True, the working out is enough for an entire 5/6 mark question in some cases💔
Reply 54

"Nice electricity" haha is this possible 😂
I cant do electricity for my life 😔
Uncertainties can come up in either paper, but only Paper 2 will have questions regarding the 6 'required practicals'.
Original post by Nelson Barnaby
Uncertainties can come up in either paper, but only Paper 2 will have questions regarding the 6 'required practicals'.

is this confirmed? I was revising the practicals the other day :s-smilie:
Reply 57

Is it possible for you to give me a link to that paper, pleaseee.
Reply 59

Thanks a lot, don't know why my teacher didn't give it. Also, do you have the markscheme for it? And the second paper too, perhaps?

Quick Reply

Latest