The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geog unit 4 cold environments

is there anyone out there doing this option? what sort of case studies are you thinking of?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
I am:

thinking of case studies

- Arctic
- Lake District
- Alps
- Antartica
I too am thinking of :

-Arctic (Alaska,Norway,Greenland)
-Lake District
-Snowdonia
- Alps (chamonix)
-Himalayas
-Antarctica

The Explore and focus asks for contrasting and different cold environments so i suggest at leat one case study for each environment; i am thinking for high latitude - Antarctica for definite and then Greenland and Alaska and possibly Norway, for high altitude- the alps (chamonix) and possibly himalayas, for periglacial definitely Canada as there is quite a bit to write about and for relict environments i will do quite a bit on the lake district as this is my fieldwork but may also use snowdonia.
Reply 4
Original post by eeleanor09
is there anyone out there doing this option? what sort of case studies are you thinking of?

Yes I am doing this, have broked it down into the different types of cold environment, alpine, polar and tundra & this then looks at
-Siberia (exploitation)
-ANWR (conservation, BUT coastal plain under threat)
-WAR
-Alps (contrast to Himalayas - Mt. Everest)
-Antarctic - CCAMLR, CRAMRA and the treaty
-Arctic (Greenpeace want it to be a global sanctuary) - threatened by Arctic 5, however Shell withdrew earlier this year after pressure from greenpeace

Then look at the players: Republican/ Democratic government in US
Conservationalists
IGOs - any signatory of UN can agree to Antarctic Treaty at any time
Greenpeace (other conservationalists/ NGOs) etc..
Reply 5
Original post by 09vamaher
Yes I am doing this, have broked it down into the different types of cold environment, alpine, polar and tundra & this then looks at
-Siberia (exploitation)
-ANWR (conservation, BUT coastal plain under threat)
-WAR
-Alps (contrast to Himalayas - Mt. Everest)
-Antarctic - CCAMLR, CRAMRA and the treaty
-Arctic (Greenpeace want it to be a global sanctuary) - threatened by Arctic 5, however Shell withdrew earlier this year after pressure from greenpeace

Then look at the players: Republican/ Democratic government in US
Conservationalists
IGOs - any signatory of UN can agree to Antarctic Treaty at any time
Greenpeace (other conservationalists/ NGOs) etc..

Are you not planning to look at periglacial environments?
I used
Snowdonia - periglacial + its relict
Arctic ocean+Alaska/Antarctic - Polar
Himalayas/Mount everest region in Nepal - Alpine

Do you think the question can be specifically about players?

Does anyone have an idea/guide on how to write the conclusion?

Also about methodology section - is it fine if after my intro I just name my research resources, for each case study and then do not say mention them in every section of my Analysis like this: "form the anwr website i found blah blah blah..." ?
Reply 6
Its a shame there is so few people who also do cold environments :frown:
Reply 7
Anyone got any information on relict areas such as the Cairngorms as i Need two
(I've already got enough on the lake district)
Original post by Dann_a
Anyone got any information on relict areas such as the Cairngorms as i Need two
(I've already got enough on the lake district)

Looking at past mark schemes they don't seem to bothered on relict sites rather on all the others however they like you mentioning your primary fieldwork which is usually relict so just make sure you include that! I'm just doing Lake District
Reply 9
Original post by Tammmmy96
Looking at past mark schemes they don't seem to bothered on relict sites rather on all the others however they like you mentioning your primary fieldwork which is usually relict so just make sure you include that! I'm just doing Lake District

Primary Research
Reply 10
what did everyone think of the cold environments question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending