The Student Room Group

Pearson Edexcel or CIE for self-studying A- Levels?

Am self studying as an international student. Was going to pick edexel for English Lit, geog and pyschology but realised Eng Lit has a coursework component that requires a teacher marking. While I think for CIE there is no coursework at all. I only picked edexel because there was an earlier Jan exam. Called both hotlines before and frankly exedel's support was so iffy. What do I do?
Original post by summerangelxx
Am self studying as an international student. Was going to pick edexel for English Lit, geog and pyschology but realised Eng Lit has a coursework component that requires a teacher marking. While I think for CIE there is no coursework at all. I only picked edexel because there was an earlier Jan exam. Called both hotlines before and frankly exedel's support was so iffy. What do I do?

I am not familiar with A-Level courses to be 100% honest, however from what I’ve read and heard, CIE tends to be a board aimed more at International students whereas Edexcel International is really modelled for British private schools to be able to use to offer International GCSEs/A-Levels. I know this is the case for gcse anyway, not sure for A-Level. As an International Students, you might find that you prefer the wording of CIE, I would check over some practice papers to see whether the Edexcel or CIE wording makes sense to you. If you prefer the Edexcel international spec for geography and psychology but CIE for English lit could you use the Edexcel international board for Geo and psych but CIE for lit? I guess the other option is paying for a tutor or impartial examiner or someone to mark your work… if you’re allowed to do that. Do they have coursework equivalents? Sometimes they have an exam which you can do instead of coursework but not always, and it’d say that on the spec I suppose
Original post by maxc12345
I am not familiar with A-Level courses to be 100% honest, however from what I’ve read and heard, CIE tends to be a board aimed more at International students whereas Edexcel International is really modelled for British private schools to be able to use to offer International GCSEs/A-Levels. I know this is the case for gcse anyway, not sure for A-Level. As an International Students, you might find that you prefer the wording of CIE, I would check over some practice papers to see whether the Edexcel or CIE wording makes sense to you. If you prefer the Edexcel international spec for geography and psychology but CIE for English lit could you use the Edexcel international board for Geo and psych but CIE for lit? I guess the other option is paying for a tutor or impartial examiner or someone to mark your work… if you’re allowed to do that. Do they have coursework equivalents? Sometimes they have an exam which you can do instead of coursework but not always, and it’d say that on the spec I suppose

Edexcel International A levels were entirely one hundred per cent created to offer modular A levels to international candidates. They are not available to UK candidates in private schools. They evolved from UK A levels that were discontinued after the most recent government initiated 'reform' of A levels.

Edit (updated URL): Edexcel IAL are available to UK candidates who are not in mainstream education through a limited number of approved exam centres
https://www.tutorsandexams.uk/exam-centres/what-exams-can-I-sit/#ia-levels
(edited 1 week ago)

I can't see any coursework mention in the Pearson specification for IAL English literature
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/english-literature/2015/specification-and-sample-assessments/9781446954058_IAL_EngLit_Iss6%20(9)_spec_240521pm.pdf
Reply 4

CIE for geog!! I’m currently doing it rn and there are soo many resources past paper qs etc online, relatively low grade boundaries, I find the content for human really interesting and some aspects of physical too. We did not have any required fieldwork or coursework so that’s a plus imo

Quick Reply

Latest