The Student Room Group

Btech results

Ok so i passed all my units for btech nationals diploma and i got a near pass on only one external assessment, it tells me at the bottom this learnwr has not yet quite achieved the above award what does this mean exactly?
Original post by Rayfinr
Ok so i passed all my units for btech nationals diploma and i got a near pass on only one external assessment, it tells me at the bottom this learnwr has not yet quite achieved the above award what does this mean exactly?

When you say "it tells me at the bottom", what tells you at the bottom of what?

Which BTEC subject was this? (For some subjects, you can pass the BTEC as a whole even with a "near pass" in one or more of the external units - the exams - but you can't in some others).

You say, "i passed all my units" (except the unit for which you got a near pass, obviously), do you know what grade you achieved for each of those units? Was it a "pass" in every case (except the "near pass"), or were there some "merit" (or above) grades too?

Can you confirm that this was a BTEC Nationals Level 3 Diploma? So not the Foundation Diploma or the Extended Diploma?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
When you say "it tells me at the bottom", what tells you at the bottom of what?

Which BTEC subject was this? (For some subjects, you can pass the BTEC as a whole even with a "near pass" in one or more of the external units - the exams - but you can't in some others).

You say, "i passed all my units" (except the unit for which you got a near pass, obviously), do you know what grade you achieved for each of those units? Was it a "pass" in every case (except the "near pass"), or were there some "merit" (or above) grades too?

Can you confirm that this was a BTEC Nationals Level 3 Diploma? So not the Foundation Diploma or the Extended Diploma?

It was btech construction and the built environment it wa nationals diploma first yr and i achieved all passes and in an external assessment a near pass, and at the bottom is said learner has achieved this units in 2023 but has not yet qualified for the full above award
Original post by Rayfinr
It was btech construction and the built environment it wa nationals diploma first yr and i achieved all passes and in an external assessment a near pass, and at the bottom is said learner has achieved this units in 2023 but has not yet qualified for the full above award

OK. "Construction and the Built Environment" is not one of the subjects for which at last a "pass" is required in all units. Given the fact that you've just finished your first year, I can think of two scenarios:

Scenario 1
As you've only completed about half the units (because you've only done the first year of a two-year course), it's simply telling you that you haven't yet completed enough units to be awarded the diploma. It could have said that it a less scary way, but to say that you haven't yet completed the award is accurate. That won't happen until you've completed the second year.

Scenario 2
The BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment contains 10 units and is the equivalent in size to two A levels. There is also a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Construction and the Built Environment (4 units, equivalent to one A level) and a n BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment (7 units, equivalent to 1.5 A levels).

These units overlap, so if the units you've already done towards your Diploma happen to be the set of four which are required for the Extended Certificate (Units 1, 2, 4 and 5) then you could have been awarded the Extended Certificate as an "interim" award on your way to the Diploma. Similarly, if the units you've already done towards your Diploma happen to be the set of seven which are required for the Foundation Diploma (units 1, 2, 4 and 5, plus three of units 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14 and 19) then you could have been awarded the Foundation Diploma as an "interim" award on your way to the Diploma. However, the fact that you achieved a "near pass" in an external unit (exam) and passes for each other unit means that you haven't done sufficiently well to receive those "interim" awards.

Summary
You can pass the whole BTEC Diploma even if you get a "near pass" in one of the external units (the ones with exams). However, to do so you will need to "offset" that "near pass" with at least one "merit" in one of the second year units. Well, technically, you can do so with just a pass in the other units, but that depends on the mark (not the grade) you obtain in each of the exams, and is tricky to work out. So let's just say you need at least one merit in a second year unit.
Reply 4
So basically i got the foundation diploma or the interim award😀
Reply 5
OK. "Construction and the Built Environment" is not one of the subjects for which at last a "pass" is required in all units. Given the fact that you've just finished your first year, I can think of two scenarios:

Scenario 1
As you've only completed about half the units (because you've only done the first year of a two-year course), it's simply telling you that you haven't yet completed enough units to be awarded the diploma. It could have said that it a less scary way, but to say that you haven't yet completed the award is accurate. That won't happen until you've completed the second year.

Scenario 2
The BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment contains 10 units and is the equivalent in size to two A levels. There is also a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Construction and the Built Environment (4 units, equivalent to one A level) and a n BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment (7 units, equivalent to 1.5 A levels).

These units overlap, so if the units you've already done towards your Diploma happen to be the set of four which are required for the Extended Certificate (Units 1, 2, 4 and 5) then you could have been awarded the Extended Certificate as an "interim" award on your way to the Diploma. Similarly, if the units you've already done towards your Diploma happen to be the set of seven which are required for the Foundation Diploma (units 1, 2, 4 and 5, plus three of units 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14 and 19) then you could have been awarded the Foundation Diploma as an "interim" award on your way to the Diploma. However, the fact that you achieved a "near pass" in an external unit (exam) and passes for each other unit means that you haven't done sufficiently well to receive those "interim" awards.

Summary
You can pass the whole BTEC Diploma even if you get a "near pass" in one of the external units (the ones with exams). However, to do so you will need to "offset" that "near pass" with at least one "merit" in one of the second year units. Well, technically, you can do so with just a pass in the other units, but that depends on the mark (not the grade) you obtain in each of the exams, and is tricky to work out. So let's just say you need at least one merit in a second year unit.

I got a merit in one of my units as well btw
Reply 6

Scenario 1

Scenario 2

Summary

I was sent a notification of performance/ interim award tho
Original post by Rayfinr
So basically i got the foundation diploma or the interim award😀

Nope. That's not what I said at all. From what you'd said you've be awarded nothing. Not an Extended Certificate. Not a Foundation Diploma. Not a Diploma. Hence the message, " this learnwr has not yet quite achieved the above award".

Original post by Rayfinr
I got a merit in one of my units as well btw

Then why, when I asked "Was it a "pass" in every case (except the "near pass"), or were there some "merit" (or above) grades too?" in post #2 did you respond, " i achieved all passes and in an external assessment a near pass"? If you post inaccurate information, you're going to get inaccurate responses. This new information invalidates the whole of my response in post #4. :frown:

Original post by Rayfinr
I was sent a notification of performance/ interim award tho

In post #2 I asked, "When you say "it tells me at the bottom", what tells you at the bottom of what?"; is this you response to that question? Or is this just random additional information?
Reply 8
Bro how can i be awarded nothing a foundation diploma means the first yr
Original post by Rayfinr
Bro how can i be awarded nothing a foundation diploma means the first yr

A BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment is comprised of seven units. Have you taken seven units so far? If not, how many units have you taken?
Reply 10
A BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment is comprised of seven units. Have you taken seven units so far? If not, how many units have you taken?

Yes took 7 units and passed all of em one near pass on external unit and i forgot to add i did grt a resub and got a merit in one unit i informed the college so they are changing this, also just one quick question whats an interim award and is this useful, can it even be shown to employers and if so is it useful/ helpful, as long as im aware i got the foundation diploma cuz i got into the second yr btw
Original post by Rayfinr
Yes took 7 units and passed all of em one near pass on external unit and i forgot to add i did grt a resub and got a merit in one unit i informed the college so they are changing this, also just one quick question whats an interim award and is this useful, can it even be shown to employers and if so is it useful/ helpful, as long as im aware i got the foundation diploma cuz i got into the second yr btw

Some colleges enrol students on the first years -in this case a FD- so that if they drop out, they at least get a certificate (interim award). Others enrol you on a full 2 year course -say Ext Diploma- so you only get a certificate at the end. As you NOP states you have not achieved enough for a full award, it looks like this is what they have done. If you dont complete the second year - and you have completed the correct Mandatory and optional units for a FD, you can ask the college to change your registration and claim the FD.
Original post by Rayfinr

I'm finding this quite exhausting. Almost everything you've said so far you've ended up correcting in a subsequent post.

Do you know what unit numbers you've taken? It may be that if you've taken certain units then you have enough for the Foundation Diploma. This is part way to the Extended Diploma (which you've claimed you're not taking, by the way) and is what I meant by an "interim" award.

And it may be that the reason your Notice of Performance says that you've haven't quite achieved that award is because their records show your single "merit" as a "pass".
Reply 13
One thing i checked the pearsons website and if someone were to get 6 passes and 1 near pass they couldnpass because a pass is 9 credits and i had 54 plus 6 which is 60 thats needed for a lass for a foundation diploma 540 Check it says that
Original post by Rayfinr
One thing i checked the pearsons website and if someone were to get 6 passes and 1 near pass they couldnpass because a pass is 9 credits and i had 54 plus 6 which is 60 thats needed for a lass for a foundation diploma 540 Check it says that

The units you've taken need to be the right units. Which is why I asked what unit numbers you've taken.

However, if you're content that you've solved the mystery of why you've been told "this learnwr has not yet quite achieved the above award", then that's fine too.
Reply 15
The units you've taken need to be the right units. Which is why I asked what unit numbers you've taken.

However, if you're content that you've solved the mystery of why you've been told "this learnwr has not yet quite achieved the above award", then that's fine too.

What do u mean the right units? I took all the units and passed most of em so i did all of em and got a near pass in one unit tho? Most likely i hit the right units but pls explain
Original post by Rayfinr
What do u mean the right units? I took all the units and passed most of em so i did all of em and got a near pass in one unit tho? Most likely i hit the right units but pls explain

It would be really helpful in you just answered the questions, rather that constantly either ignoring them or challenging them.

You said above that, "it wa nationals diploma first yr". From everything you've said since, I believe you're actually studying for the Extended Diploma. Given that I'm not entirely sure what qualification you're studying for (because you aren't) it's difficult to be definitive.

For the Foundation Diploma (540 GLM) you must have taken units 1, 2, 4 and 5 plus three of 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14 and 19. Depending on the order in which your college have opted to teach the units, they may have decided to teach some of those next year instead.
Reply 17
It would be really helpful in you just answered the questions, rather that constantly either ignoring them or challenging them.

You said above that, "it wa nationals diploma first yr". From everything you've said since, I believe you're actually studying for the Extended Diploma. Given that I'm not entirely sure what qualification you're studying for (because you aren't) it's difficult to be definitive.

For the Foundation Diploma (540 GLM) you must have taken units 1, 2, 4 and 5 plus three of 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14 and 19. Depending on the order in which your college have opted to teach the units, they may have decided to teach some of those next year instead.

Ok so my notice of performance , i misread it cuz it said the national foundation diploma is what I didn’t achieve when clearly i must have , the nationals foundation diploma which is 540 is the one i studief and i added up to 60 creds or what ever the point system is for a pass and thats the grade i should have achieved but idk
Original post by Rayfinr
Ok so my notice of performance , i misread it cuz it said the national foundation diploma is what I didn’t achieve when clearly i must have , the nationals foundation diploma which is 540 is the one i studief and i added up to 60 creds or what ever the point system is for a pass and thats the grade i should have achieved but idk

I don't know either, because you won't answer the most basic of questions. I hereby give up. Good luck in the second year of whatever BTEC it turns out you're studying.
Original post by Rayfinr

As @DataVenia has already said, you need to have completed the relevant units. Pg 178 of the spec refers.
The 9 is for a Pass in 90 GLH units, and most of the internal units for this course are only 60 GLH which is only 6 points (10 for a Merit) (Page 15 of spec) . For the 2 exam units it is 12 for a Pass and 8 for a Near Pass. In this case, you may have 12+8 + (4x6) 24 + 10, which is 54 which , as you say is a Pass. However, if your college has put Pass for the unit you say was resubmitted and not a Merit, then you will be 2 points short and as such ' have not achieved the qualification'. Ask your tutor to look on EOL tomorrow to see what grade they have actually input to Pearson. https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Construction-and-the-Built-Environment/2017/specification/btec-l3-nat-foundation-dip-in-const-and-the-built-environ-spec.pdf states;

To achieve any qualification grade, learners must:
complete and have an outcome (D, M, P, N or U) for all units within a valid combination
achieve the required units at pass or above shown in Section 2, and for the Diploma achieve a minimum of 600 GLH and Extended Diploma achieve a minimum 900 GLH at Pass or above (or N or above in external units)
achieve the minimum number of points at a grade threshold.
It is the responsibility of a centre to ensure that a correct unit combination is adhered to.
Learners who do not achieve the required minimum grade (N or P) in units shown in the structure will not achieve a qualification.

It would be helpful if you listed the actual Unit titles and the grade and the actual marks you got for units 1 and 2 so that we can help you further.
Cover up any personal details on your NOP and just scan the units if that helps.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending