The Student Room Group

CAMHS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by bullettheory
Maybe it was your team? CAMHS psychiatrists do diagnose psychosis, bipolar. However with PD it is often termed emerging PD, as ones personality is usually not "fixed" until later on after age 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was whacked with a straight up PD at 18. No use of the word emerging, unfortunately.
Original post by Airmed
I don't think CAMHS are well enough equipped diagnose people with personality disorders, bipolar etc. I was 18 when I first entered the services and originally diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and depression. It wasn't until I saw a psychiatrist was i diagnosed with a PD

I agree. I think it's mainly because it's child services, though, and they're reluctant to diagnose young people with these disorders. They all seem to have that attitude that it's something less serious, and we'll grow out of it.
Original post by Airmed
I was whacked with a straight up PD at 18. No use of the word emerging, unfortunately.

Yeah I had the same experience. Usually it is used for those under 18, but tbh, I think it should be used for people up to an older age
Original post by Save.Me
I agree. I think it's mainly because it's child services, though, and they're reluctant to diagnose young people with these disorders. They all seem to have that attitude that it's something less serious, and we'll grow out of it.

I suspect it's more to do with the potential stigma that a diagnosis of PD could bring.
I’m my case, CAMHS did not work for me. I had a trainee therapist who was still at uni so all of my sessions were recorded; considering I was there partly for social anxiety it only made things worse as I felt I had to put on a front. I felt more of a test subject than a patient. Everything is done by data which is so easy to manipulate, hence why I was signed off as I lied that I was okay simply to get out of it because I found it so uncomfortable.My OCD and depression is worse than ever and I’m afraid to go back, but this is just my experience- please don’t do what I did and make sure you speak up if your therapist is not working for you.
Anyone been to a Northampton based assessment?!?
Reply 26
Anyone been to a Northampton assessment? :smile:
Reply 27
Anyone been to a Northampton assessment? Dm me :smile:
Reply 28
Anyone been to a Northampton assessment? Dm me
I've been going to CAMHS since August last year for social anxiety, suicidal ideation, and possible tactile hallucinations (I'm not sure if I'm hallucinating because I haven't received an actual diagnosis even though I've been experiencing them for five years). At the first appointment the therapist said that we could do CBT and that she could refer me to a psychiatrist, but this hasn't happened. I go to CAMHS less than once a month. I honestly don't know what's going on. When I do go there, I'm just asked questions about my general mental state, e.g. if I'm eating, sleeping, etc. Fortunately I will turn 18 in May so hopefully I will be referred to someone else who can actually help. I hope you actually get the help that you need.
Original post by hannahcook
You can DM me if you wish :smile:

Was you talking to me sorry? Apologies if you wasn’t aha
Reply 31
Original post by hannahcook
You can DM me if you wish :smile:

You mean me sorry? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest