The Student Room Group

Simple logarithm question I am really stuck on: Could someone please help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sam00
I still don't completely understand, do you mean I eliminate the power of 3/2 by squaring both sides? or square-rooting both sides?

So by eliminating both sides you're squaring both sides like this:a3×22=82 a^\frac{3 \times 2}{2}=8^2

To get a3=64 a^3=64.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sam00
if I did (3/2)^2 i'd get 9/4 I'm confused

You're not doing that. Are you trolling? :hmmm:

So just looking at the indicie its 3×22 \frac{3 \times 2}{2}

Spoiler

Original post by Sam00
So would x^3/2 = 3√x (with 3 being the 3rd root?

No you'd get √(a3) (square root of a3)
Original post by undercxver
Haha, this is called LaTeX\LaTeX. :h:

If you want help with this check out the LaTeX\LaTeX help page.

It's fun but quite long quite to do for complicated maths. :yawn:

Original post by Dilzo999
Yup LaTeX\LaTeX. If you're doing maths at uni you'll probably come across it so it's good practice to use it on here :smile:.

Much appreciated guys. Not going to do maths at uni but i've always enjoyed maths and I find it quite 'easy', so I enjoy helping others with it. I'll check it out when I can!
Original post by NadeemKha_Arab
Much appreciated guys. Not going to do maths at uni but i've always enjoyed maths and I find it quite 'easy', so I enjoy helping others with it. I'll check it out when I can!

Me too, I love it. :h:

Forgot to link the page to you!http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/LaTex
Me too, I love it. :h:

Forgot to link the page to you!http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/LaTex

Yeah I had to fish it out by quoting you ahaha. I've had a look but it seems as though you have to learn all the 'functions', such as sqrt? Is there a faster way around it or is this the only way. Might take me a few tries before I get good at it
a^3/2 =8 is the same as sqrt a^3 = 8

Then you can get rid of the sqrt by squaring both sides to end up with a^3 =64 (since 8^2 is 64)

Then take the cubed root of 64 to get the value of a

hence a =4 ( since the cube root of 64 is 4)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NadeemKha_Arab
Yeah I had to fish it out by quoting you ahaha. I've had a look but it seems as though you have to learn all the 'functions', such as sqrt? Is there a faster way around it or is this the only way. Might take me a few tries before I get good at it

I'm pretty sure there's a software for it, but I'm afraid you gotta use this long method on TSR as it's built in.

Butttt, you can practice on this thread. :ahee:

Original post by Sam00
No 100% not trolling, you must think I am really thick then!

So I can see you are squaring the 3/2 to get 3 on it's own which therefore just leaves you with a^3, and you have to also square the 8 as well which gives 64

The thing which still confuses me is the (3x2/2) more-so the 'x2' after the 3, it doesn't seem to me you are squaring it, but more like multiplying it by 2.

If you were squaring it wouldn't it look like 3^2/2...

So sorry if I am not making sense

Omg no I don't intend to call you thick! Sorry about that.

When I said "squaring both sides" I don't mean square the power of a a once again, but I mean multiply that power.

I think you're stuck on how indicies work. Watch these examsolutions videos.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sam00
No 100% not trolling, you must think I am really thick then!

So I can see you are squaring the 3/2 to get 3 on it's own which therefore just leaves you with a^3, and you have to also square the 8 as well which gives 64

The thing which still confuses me is the (3x2/2) more-so the 'x2' after the 3, it doesn't seem to me you are squaring it, but more like multiplying it by 2.

If you were squaring it wouldn't it look like 3^2/2...

So sorry if I am not making sense

I think you're stuck on how indicies work. Watch these examsolutions videos.

As said above, my recommendation would be to get some practice on indices. There are a few rules and once you get them stuck in your head it should be a lot easier! :smile:
I will try to explain here though some of the general rules based on your question:

As we said before:
a1/2 = √a

Now one way to look at this is

a3/2 = (a3)1/2

Notice all of a3 is to the power of 1/2, meaning ALL OF a3 is square rooted.
The reason I can take the half out is because 2 powers are multiplied together:
e.g.

a2 x a3 = a5

but

(a2)3 = a6 << (LEARN THIS RULE, THIS IS WHAT WE'RE DOING)

So,

(a3)1/2 = a3/2 ... only we are going in reverse to this.

Quick Reply

Latest