The Student Room Group

Is this advert racist?

GAP have had a huge Twitter backlash about this advertisement campaign photo featuring a black girl being leaned on by a taller white girl.

An example of passive racism or a storm in a teacup?

image.jpeg

Scroll to see replies

Passive racism seeing as she's the only non-white girl in the picture
Original post by AlteredBoy

Agreed.
Everything's racist these days.
Such a non-issue, I don't understand why people are embarrassing themselves by crying wolf over this. It's honestly harmless
Original post by AlteredBoy

I guess this photo is also sexist then?
Racist as in somebody deliberately trying to send a message of racial superiority? Almost no chance. Racist as in whoever designed this was subconsciously influenced by differential and discriminatory social roles placed on different races? Entirely possible. Utterly stupid either way? Definitely.
Original post by XOR_
I guess this photo is also sexist then?

No, as its advertising their range of 'girls' clothes. I think that given the history racial tension, and ongoing inequalities (black people are 7x more likely to be stopped and searched by the police) its has the possibility of having a racist message, however if someone of Asian or Latin American descent also featured in the advert it wouldn't have the dispute
image.png

No-one complained about this previous Gap photo.
Reply 9
Original post by Duncan2012
image.png

Apparently, that picture is acceptable because the girl with an arm rested on her head looks 'fierce.'
I think that the intention of the advert wasnr meant to be passively racist but it can be inferenced in that way. As a person of colour i think it might be easier for people to avoid the whole issue by considering the inferences that can be made. If the ad also had another image in which it was a taller black girl was leaning on a white girl then people would find equality in it?

It could also be interpreted as the white girl leaning on her because she needs the support of the black girl who despite her height colour is able to stand on her own? Perhaps its just a matter of perception. Although i do agree although equality in terms of race is widespread it isn't everywhere and there will always be racists. Not everything requires the issue to be raised but we shouldnt allow it to continue or let those who are racist believe that we will accept it or that it is "irrelevant" because "the times have changed"
I wish people would stop seeing things that just aren't there. There's no need to 'interpret' the picture. It's a bunch of kids. Wearing clothing from a particular shop. In a pose very similar to one they've used before. That's all. Now let's all get on with our lives and worry about the things which are actually important.
Original post by Duncan2012
image.png

jesus...they look so ****ing scary...
this is why I can't walk home, because of all the hooligans about
Reply 13
No, this is the problem with trying to adjust to the constantly offended they will always find something offensive.
Reply 14
No, it is not racist.
oh and no. not racist. And anyone who thinks it is, clearly wants to have an argument...
I'm black
Not racist at all, since when is leaning on someone passive racism??
If it were a white girl they'd be no one thinking it's racist - people seriously need to invest their analytical skills into issues that actually matter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Racist.
I know for a fact the people complaioning where white, a black person wont claim racism for something as dumb as this lmao
Racism assumes racial superiority. I don't see that in this image.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending