The Student Room Group

Hardest C1 solomon paper?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Butterflyshy
If you dont mind me asking what did you do to revise for each of your exams. At the moment I have done all the c1 and c2 past papers and solomon papers. What could I be doing next?😀

Definitely the thing that prepared me the most thoroughly were the madasmaths papers.

On physicsandmathstutor they're labelled as 'IYGB papers' for C1 C2 C3 C4 etc.

Very highly recommended by me, best of luck!
Original post by iMacJack
Definitely the thing that prepared me the most thoroughly were the madasmaths papers.

On physicsandmathstutor they're labelled as 'IYGB papers' for C1 C2 C3 C4 etc.

Very highly recommended by me, best of luck!

But they are only for Edexcel, right?
Reply 22
Original post by phat-chewbacca
But they are only for Edexcel, right?

I mean, sure they're made to follow the Edexcel specification, however, from what I've noticed, most boards are similar for C1...

And either way, just go through those papers and pick out any relevant questions - trust me they're a very good preparation source

All the best.
I mean, sure they're made to follow the Edexcel specification, however, from what I've noticed, most boards are similar for C1...

And either way, just go through those papers and pick out any relevant questions - trust me they're a very good preparation source

All the best.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.
Reply 24
Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

No worries - if you're in need of any help you're welcome to message me.
Do the 2016 june paper. If you can do that you'll be fine
No worries - if you're in need of any help you're welcome to message me.

Also I am in year 12 FM, taking C1, C2, C3, C4, M1 and S1.

I am not doing too well, in S1 and I would really want to A this year? I am getting Ds on every paper and I am finding that I don't have time to revise it as all of my time is going into C3, C4 and M1.

I am also finding M1 a little difficult too. Do you have any advice? I am thinking of taking self-studying another module next year into order to boost my A-level maths grade, do you have any suggestions on what module I could take?
Original post by Suprite

Edexcel or OCR 2016 paper. My exam board is OCR.
Reply 28
Also I am in year 12 FM, taking C1, C2, C3, C4, M1 and S1.

I am not doing too well, in S1 and I would really want to A this year? I am getting Ds on every paper and I am finding that I don't have time to revise it as all of my time is going into C3, C4 and M1.

I am also finding M1 a little difficult too. Do you have any advice? I am thinking of taking self-studying another module next year into order to boost my A-level maths grade, do you have any suggestions on what module I could take?

S2 is a very easy module, I'd recommend that maybe?

As for the S1, it's just about ploughing through papers and definitely making sure you understand the content. I'd check 'bartons notes' for S1, they're helpful for understanding.

M1, similarly, is about understanding the content moreso than just 'knowing' how to do it.

Chill out on the C3/C4 if you're finding them OK - allocate 30 mins a day to going through some S1/M1 examples, even if it's just from the book.
Reply 29
Original post by Suprite

If this was aimed at the OP (me) it's a bit late as I sat the June 16 paper! Haha
S2 is a very easy module, I'd recommend that maybe?

As for the S1, it's just about ploughing through papers and definitely making sure you understand the content. I'd check 'bartons notes' for S1, they're helpful for understanding.

M1, similarly, is about understanding the content moreso than just 'knowing' how to do it.

Chill out on the C3/C4 if you're finding them OK - allocate 30 mins a day to going through some S1/M1 examples, even if it's just from the book.

Thanks a lot. I will take a lot a barton's notes for S1, and will allocate 30+mins a day to do some S1 and M1 questions.

Also does this mean I will not cope with further next year because I am finding S1 and M1 difficult. I am really scared because my school is doing FP1, 2, 3, M2, M3, S3 and S3 for next year, and I am dreading M2 and M3 due to difficulty with M1.
Reply 31
Thanks a lot. I will take a lot a barton's notes for S1, and will allocate 30+mins a day to do some S1 and M1 questions.

Also does this mean I will not cope with further next year because I am finding S1 and M1 difficult. I am really scared because my school is doing FP1, 2, 3, M2, M3, S3 and S3 for next year, and I am dreading M2 and M3 due to difficulty with M1.

Lol absolutely not - I do all those modules apart from FP3 and they're absolutely fine.

I'll be (hopefully) studying Maths at Warwick next year too - so if you need help then I'll be able to help, don't worry about that for now anyways, focus on this set of exams then you can focus on improving your Maths and getting ready for the step-up.

If there's any specific questions (like actual questions from papers) then you can tag me in the thread/private message me if needs be
Lol absolutely not - I do all those modules apart from FP3 and they're absolutely fine.

I'll be (hopefully) studying Maths at Warwick next year too - so if you need help then I'll be able to help, don't worry about that for now anyways, focus on this set of exams then you can focus on improving your Maths and getting ready for the step-up.

If there's any specific questions (like actual questions from papers) then you can tag me in the thread/private message me if needs be

That amazing and I hope you get accepted into Warwick. Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate your efforts.

I am actually looking forward to FM A2 now. Thanks, you have changed my outlook towards FM.

Also what are the grade requirements to do Maths at Warwick?
Reply 33
That amazing and I hope you get accepted into Warwick. Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate your efforts.

I am actually looking forward to FM A2 now. Thanks, you have changed my outlook towards FM.

Also what are the grade requirements to do Maths at Warwick?

You're welcome! Look at Maths as an exciting prospect rather than something which is difficult, the thing which I love about Maths is that once a concept clicks it stays, and you can then apply it to so many other situations/problem questions.

Maths requirements for Warwick are A*A*A + a 2 in STEP/Distinction in AEA

A*A* in FM, A in a third (Physics)
You're welcome! Look at Maths as an exciting prospect rather than something which is difficult, the thing which I love about Maths is that once a concept clicks it stays, and you can then apply it to so many other situations/problem questions.

Maths requirements for Warwick are A*A*A + a 2 in STEP/Distinction in AEA

A*A* in FM, A in a third (Physics)

I will try, but I still don't know about OCR S1, lol. Also what about if I need to resit some modules due to extenuating circumstances, because I suffer from migraines and it could prevent me from achieving my maximum potential, hopefully this doesn't happen, but will they still consider my application if I have to resit module or two, or will they just completely reject it.

The thing I didn't achieve my maximum potential at GCSE, so my GCSE grades aren't the best too, but unfortunately it is out of my control.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
I will try, but I still don't know about OCR S1, lol. Also what about if I need to resit some modules due to extenuating circumstances, because I suffer from migraines and it could prevent me from achieving my maximum potential, hopefully this doesn't happen, but will they still consider my application if I have to resit module or two, or will they just completely reject it.

The thing I didn't achieve my maximum potential at GCSE, so my GCSE grades aren't the best too, but unfortunately it is out of my control.

Probably best for you if you get the modules done well the first time, but Unis wont look down on you for having to resit a module or two
Probably best for you if you get the modules done well the first time, but Unis wont look down on you for having to resit a module or two
Yh your right! But I just wanted to make sure that I had something to fall back on.

Quick Reply

Latest