The Student Room Group

here we go againnn........

I'm repeating year 12 which means that i'm repeating A Level maths

I actually want to do this right this time, do you guys have any tips on how to gets A/A* in Maths, I know practice questions is the main thing but how about learning content? I'm a visual learner so I do well with videos I tried TL Maths but sometimes I don't get where he get the answers from.

Thank you, it'll be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tinaaa.aaaa

I actually want to do this right this time, do you guys have any tips on how to gets A/A* in Maths, I know practice questions is the main thing but how about learning content? I'm a visual learner so I do well with videos I tried TL Maths but sometimes I don't get where he get the answers from.

The exact resources you should use depend on which exam board you are doing. TLmaths, for example, is geared more towards AQA than the other exam boards.

I’d say physics and maths tutor is worth a look, as they have so called “cheat sheets” which cover the methods for some very common problems in A level maths.
Original post by TypicalNerd
The exact resources you should use depend on which exam board you are doing. TLmaths, for example, is geared more towards AQA than the other exam boards.

I’d say physics and maths tutor is worth a look, as they have so called “cheat sheets” which cover the methods for some very common problems in A level maths.

I do Edexcel :smile:
I do Edexcel :smile:

BicenMaths, Tayyub Majeed, R2Drew2 and AJMaths are geared towards Edexcel.

BicenMaths and AJMaths are definitely the best two for learning the content, whereas the others tend to provide model solutions to past papers (which should help, given mark schemes aren’t always easy to follow).

Some other stuff that may be of some relevance:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790
Unpopular opinion here. The thing is, there are loads of A Level content every where. I wouldn't stress over what you do, though past papers are a must, so to familiarize with the exam format and structure.

The more important thing is (i) you know maths is hard, and (ii) you learn maths by doing it. Which means try you damn hardest, and ask questions if you are stuck.

Hey i was given this website and it literally has the hardest possible questions that could come up in A-level maths. If you hover over the 'maths booklets' bit on the menu at the top for A-level maths you'd be doing the 'basic', 'standard', 'stats' and 'mechanics' ones. Doing these questions would defo improve your grade.

https://www.madasmaths.com/archive_maths_booklets_basic_topics_calculus.html

For learning the content id recommend bicen maths aswell, hes really good at explaining in a simple way that sticks in your mind.
Original post by laazzzydinosaur
Hey i was given this website and it literally has the hardest possible questions that could come up in A-level maths. If you hover over the 'maths booklets' bit on the menu at the top for A-level maths you'd be doing the 'basic', 'standard', 'stats' and 'mechanics' ones. Doing these questions would defo improve your grade.

For learning the content id recommend bicen maths aswell, hes really good at explaining in a simple way that sticks in your mind.

I would be cautious about using MadasMaths as it is (mostly) old spec and it can be difficult to discern the content that is still relevant from that which is not.

I’d consult @Muttley79 on which resources they’d recommend, since they are a (very good, by all accounts) maths teacher.
Reply 7
Original post by laazzzydinosaur

No, the author of these sadly died and they are mostly out of date. There are better these days :smile:
Reply 8

Two to try:

Dr Frost: goes through chapter by chapter https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29

MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/a-level-maths-revision/edexcel/
Original post by Muttley79

Thank you :smile: however, my teacher doesnt recommend MME because the topic questions are too easy, maybe madasmaths is a good one
I would be cautious about using MadasMaths as it is (mostly) old spec and it can be difficult to discern the content that is still relevant from that which is not.

I’d consult @Muttley79 on which resources they’d recommend, since they are a (very good, by all accounts) maths teacher.

yup i agree, thanks alot
Original post by tonyiptony
Unpopular opinion here. The thing is, there are loads of A Level content every where. I wouldn't stress over what you do, though past papers are a must, so to familiarize with the exam format and structure.

The more important thing is (i) you know maths is hard, and (ii) you learn maths by doing it. Which means try you damn hardest, and ask questions if you are stuck.

Theres a lot of resources which means more stress, since i wouldnt know if im doing the correct work or not
Thank you :smile: however, my teacher doesnt recommend MME because the topic questions are too easy, maybe madasmaths is a good one

NO, you must NOT use Madas - it's not written for the new curriculum. MME is ideal if you are struggling with a topic before trying harder questions.
Theres a lot of resources which means more stress, since i wouldnt know if im doing the correct work or not

Again, unpopular opinion, but maths is practically the same no matter which exam board you are doing.
i.e. You won't get a 2 in one question for one exam board, but a 3 in another exam board. Maths is consistent.
Yes, difficulty of practice material may vary, but content-wise it's not going to deviate much.
If you find them easy, good. If you find them difficult, ask.

Why not start with your questions in your textbook or given by your teacher first? Also note that "knowing how to do it" the first time doesn't mean you can reproduce the solution the second time.

Don't stress about "the correct work". Every work is correct work (until the solution manual has a typo in it, that is. In that case, ask).

---

On the topic of questions "being too easy", have you done them? You might find them hard still...
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Muttley79
NO, you must NOT use Madas - it's not written for the new curriculum. MME is ideal if you are struggling with a topic before trying harder questions.

Thank you see this is confusing now because
Original post by tonyiptony
Again, unpopular opinion, but maths is practically the same no matter which exam board you are doing.
i.e. You won't get a 2 in one question for one exam board, but a 3 in another exam board. Maths is consistent.
Yes, difficulty of practice material may vary, but content-wise it's not going to deviate much.
If you find them easy, good. If you find them difficult, ask.

Don't stress about "the correct work". Every work is correct work (until the solution manual has a typo in it, that is. In that case, ask).

This person said that maths is the same so i dont even know what to say

The provider of the materials on Madasmaths died and so the website hasn’t seen any updates in a little while.

The specification has also changed relatively recently and a lot of topics have been moved around, with some topics on normal maths being moved to further maths and some further maths topics being moved to normal maths.

The styles of questions have also changed with the specification, so the resources designed for the old spec on Madasmaths won’t quite match the style of the current specification. As such, use of the resources @Muttley79 recommended is advised, as they will be more reflective of what to expect.

Maths is consistent in a sense that the sine/cosine rule for one exam board would not magically turn into something else in another. That's what I mean by maths is the same.
What sort/style of questions would each exam board requiring sine/cosine rule be will differ. But is it bad that you just do them anyway? After all, the more problems you do, the more fluent you can get when it comes to techniques related to that topic.

That said, I do need to stress that you need to do past papers of your exam board at some point.
Also, again, while being overwhelmed by materials, why not start with your book first? Surely there are enough problems for you to do, like 50 integrals is way too many to master the topic already (IMO).
(edited 9 months ago)
The provider of the materials on Madasmaths died and so the website hasn’t seen any updates in a little while.

The specification has also changed relatively recently and a lot of topics have been moved around, with some topics on normal maths being moved to further maths and some further maths topics being moved to normal maths.

The styles of questions have also changed with the specification, so the resources designed for the old spec on Madasmaths won’t quite match the style of the current specification. As such, use of the resources @Muttley79 recommended is advised, as they will be more reflective of what to expect.

Alright, thank you alot!
Reply 18
Adding to what’s already been said, as a teacher I still find Madasmaths to be a very useful resource for A Level maths. This is because it’s filled with challenging questions that mimic the difficulty of the new exams.

BUT, if you don’t have a teacher to look through the website and find questions for you then it’s best to stick to other resources or you may get confused as others have said.
Original post by Notnek
Adding to what’s already been said, as a teacher I still find Madasmaths to be a very useful resource for A Level maths. This is because it’s filled with challenging questions that mimic the difficulty of the new exams.

BUT, if you don’t have a teacher to look through the website and find questions for you then it’s best to stick to other resources or you may get confused as others have said.

I disagree - the Emporium is far better and Dr Frost. I don't use Madas now.

Quick Reply

Latest