The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20

Most Universities start you from the ground up.
People say that if you try to learn a language (which is taught at the uni) before you go, then its likely that what you've learnt will get in your way.
I'm learning Python before starting Java at Durham in October because it's very different from Java in many ways, i.e. its interpreted. So it should give me an insight into programming without distracting me with complicated programming environments.
Reply 21
Gotham
C is handy but dying in academia. Ruby is too niche at the moment. Java is what universities love. Check your syllabus.

Seems to be quite heavily used on my course. Perhaps it's not used as much for academic research these days, but a lot of courses still use it because it is heavily used in industry, and probably will be for a long time.
Reply 22
C/C++ exist you cant get away from it. Nothing else provides the low level memory management operations you need sometimes. However University tries to give you the skills to learn, understand a programming language well. They usually end up with Java because heavily based on C, proper OOP and mature. Once you know one easily learn another.

Latest

Trending

Trending