The Student Room Group

London Overground's new names revealed

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68296483.amp

Do we think these new names are political more than anything else? Nothing against the people being honoured by the new names, but it seems to me they could have come up with better names - particularly the new "Liberty" line, which just seems like something they came up with after they ran out of creativity.

Scroll to see replies

Not sure I can get used saying that I am using so and so line.It will take some gettign use to. I wonder how much they spent on coming up with these names etc.
Reply 2
Seeing people getting themselves in a tizzy over the names is comedy gold.
Are names the new names political but not "Jubilee" and "Elizabeth"? The republicans among us might disagee... xD

I don't mind the new names, they are certainly better than the single "Overground" brand for a line that encompasses the entire tube map. I imagine the people who dislike the names will get use to them quite quickly.
Original post by Gazpacho.
Seeing people getting themselves in a tizzy over the names is comedy gold.

I know, it's slapping Tories and Londeners at the same time.

The names we give things tend to be a load of unoriginal pap anyway, they might as well polarise people.
The names are a good idea. Delays on London overground is very vague. A signal failure on the Chingford branch won’t impact the barking bit. So separating them seems sensible.

The names. Doesn’t matter in reality, people won’t care in 3 weeks.
Original post by Scotland Yard

Do we think these new names are political more than anything else? Nothing against the people being honoured by the new names, but it seems to me they could have come up with better names - particularly the new "Liberty" line, which just seems like something they came up with after they ran out of creativity.

What were the names before?
Original post by Talkative Toad

"Overground" for the entire network, I believe.
Original post by SHallowvale
"Overground" for the entire network, I believe.

I guess that it’s nice that the service is now 6 distinct lines but this feels like a waste of time and resources or maybe not based on the opinions here.

I'm a Londoner myself. It's great that they finally bothered to distinguish the Overground branches, but honestly I don't think anyone cares
Tourists will just refer to them by colour and Londoners and commuters won't care either way. Much ado about nothing.
Reply 11
The entire overground was just the "overground" and the six lines were all the same colour so the map wasn't particularly easy to read. Splitting out the lines into different coloured branches made absolute sense from ease of use perspective and it'd been on TfLs radar for a few years now as Overground passengers have increased a lot & train frequencies are higher making it more of a "metro" service like the underground that needs an easy to use and read network map.

They didn't have individual names, which made the network a tad confusing for tourists/new people
I guess that it’s nice that the service is now 6 distinct lines but this feels like a waste of time and resources or maybe not based on the opinions here.

I wouldn't say it's a waste of resources. It was about time they got proper names. In fact, one or two of the lines had already been unofficially named by the locals - one of them hillariously nicknamed the Goblin line.

Would I have preferred something hilarious like the Goblin line making the tube map? Absolutely :giggle: But I have to agree it doesn't matter that much
its nice that theyve been given official names and link with the underground a bit more, but its a bit of a shame as the insane amount of money used on this could have been directed towards problems like knife crime prevention and so on
I wouldn't say it's a waste of resources. It was about time they got proper names. In fact, one or two of the lines had already been unofficially named by the locals - one of them hillariously nicknamed the Goblin line.

Would I have preferred something hilarious like the Goblin line making the tube map? Absolutely :giggle: But I have to agree it doesn't matter that much

Yeah but there’s other train services that need improving in the UK or heck some of the tubes could do with being refurbished that’s why I partially see it as a waste of time and resources despite it arguably being a necessary change.

They didn't have individual names, which made the network a tad confusing for tourists/new people

Ah yeah I got that.

Oh it needs done, but the multi million cost is still eye watering for what it actually is imo
Original post by StriderHort
Oh it needs done, but the multi million cost is still eye watering for what it actually is imo

Rebranding something of that scale will always cost millions. New signs, new paint, all the paperwork to go with it, etc.
Original post by SHallowvale
Rebranding something of that scale will always cost millions. New signs, new paint, all the paperwork to go with it, etc.

I kind of get what you mean, but it's still damn hard to talk up signs/paint/paperwork to millions for these, I'd be curious to see what the specific costings were.
Reply 19
Original post by erin11
its nice that theyve been given official names and link with the underground a bit more, but its a bit of a shame as the insane amount of money used on this could have been directed towards problems like knife crime prevention and so on

It's 0.01% of TfLs annual operating budget and was in the planning for many years because of the development of the overground & passenger number increases.

TfL is run completely and entirely separately from the Met - they don't share budgets or manage day to day operational expenditure together in this way.

To put it another way, if TfL had saved the cost by cancelling the project, that saving wouldn't have then been used as a donation to the Met (or any other London public service) - It would have been used to bring forward other TfL operations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending