The Student Room Group

How does your disability affect your everyday life?

Hi all, I was just wondering how different you feel from e.g. your peers, how differently you are treated, what effects your disability has on your life and how you deal with it?

Personally I had never had any health problems whatsoever before I got depressed and developed a really weird eating disorder and I've found that because I was so ill and basically spent a year in hospital, I feel really different from people around me and being ill has been a bit of a shock to the system. It has really had to dominate my life for the past two years...
just a random thought anyway!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Great idea for a thread :five:

I'll answer when I get home from work :creep:
Reply 2
Its never really affected me in everyday life, just in education. I do occasionally have to ask my parents how to spell the odd word but other then that, its pretty normal (for lack of a better word).
Reply 3
Ugh..where to start. Um.. my social skills are crap, so I regularly get misunderstood in trying to communicate with people in the workplace/school, etc. I say alot of tactless or inappropriate things I don't know are not right. I don't understand emotions, so come across quite cold and insensitive.. um. In education I tend to work three times longer than normal because I'm too detailed and if questions are too vague or open ended I have to cover all bases because I don't know how to narrow it down. And then I have other autistic stuff like being overly stimulated by sight, sound, touch etc. I get chronic migraines; I think its from sensory overload. I stress at change or unpredictability.

I take everything literally and don't get innuendos or hints. I often don't get peoples' meanings, and often people don't understand what I say either. Apparently I use alot of 'old speech' :s-smilie:

The social stuff doesn't really bug me that much (I'm happy) but it makes working with people hard..and I find out about it soon enough!!

That's me :dontknow:
Reply 4
I have dyspraxia = walking into doorframes, lamposts, wheelie bins, etc...
It's some mothers do have 'em 24/7 with me :s-smilie:
Reply 5
katrin_tara

It's some mothers do have 'em 24/7 with me :s-smilie:

Didn't understand this last sentence.. :confused: :redface:
:eek: Craghyrax I get hyper-acusis too...have you discovered the joys of EAR PLUGS???!!!!
Reply 7
KingoftheNazgul
...have you discovered the joys of EAR PLUGS???!!!!

Yeh.. but I call them 'iPod' :laugh:

I think my colleagues think I'm a bit weird..but I'd go mental if I didn't have it!! :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Craghyrax
Didn't understand this last sentence.. :confused: :redface:

Y'know the show, 'some mothers do have 'em'? Frank Spencer? You obviously don't watch enough Sunday afternoon TV :p:
Reply 9
katrin_tara
Y'know the show, 'some mothers do have 'em'? Frank Spencer? You obviously don't watch enough Sunday afternoon TV :p:

;no; I don't watch any tv :creep:
Reply 10
Whaaaaat? How? Why? *looks suspicious*

I only know one other person who doesn't have a TV, but they like herbal tea, so... :p:
I like herbal tea :blush:
Reply 12
Oookay ^_^
But seriously, why no TV?

[Sorry for thread-hijacking btw]
katrin_tara
Oookay ^_^
But seriously, why no TV?

We didn't have it when I grew up..till I was like.. 16. Guess my parents couldn't really be bothered with it, they never watched themselves. So I read..loooadddss! And by the time I was 16 I was uber busy. Now if I have any free time I love reading, but I rarely do..and tv irritates me, frankly :dontknow: I can't concentrate on it..my brain scurries onto thinking about more important things :ninja:
katrin_tara

[Sorry for thread-hijacking btw]

We'll draw and quarter you later.. :hubba:
Reply 14
Well I did answer the question, even if no-one understood my reference :frown:
This is me, without the comic incidental music...
I'll watch it tomorrow :wink: Off to bed :creep: :hello:
I just thought id answer this one. Sometimes i cant leave the house for fear that ill be ill somewhere although i try my hardest to carry on as usual. I get stares and people shouting at me and ive even had someone spit at me before in the street if im ill in public. I cant remember things my memory is useless. I have difficulty remembering things. I got fired from my job. I had to take time off from uni. I became depressed. Im scared of going back 2 uni and bieng ill with no one to make sure im okay - my mates will all be the year above me.

I sometimes miss bits of my life - strange i know but i have 2 check things repeatedly because im unsure if ive missed bits out.

But y'know what this isnt gonna wreck my life ive decided.
Good for you fairy spangles!:smile:

I can sympathise with people staring at you and stuff; I hallucinate a lot and tend to react to things other people can't see so I tend to look completely nuts (I have been known to influence people to move carriages on the train :s-smilie:). I also sometimes don't realise when I'm paying attention to the voices and I do really stupid things and don't remember which is really scary!
And because I've been ill for so long and so profoundly, I feel like my friends have all moved on whilst I'm stuck in a rut! Even though I nearly killed myself doing exams and stuff from hospital so I could keep up.

Yeah so don't worry, you're not the only one and I applaud you for refusing to allow it to dominate your life :smile: Well done!
KingoftheNazgul
Good for you fairy spangles!:smile:

I can sympathise with people staring at you and stuff; I hallucinate a lot and tend to react to things other people can't see so I tend to look completely nuts (I have been known to influence people to move carriages on the train :s-smilie:). I also sometimes don't realise when I'm paying attention to the voices and I do really stupid things and don't remember which is really scary!
And because I've been ill for so long and so profoundly, I feel like my friends have all moved on whilst I'm stuck in a rut! Even though I nearly killed myself doing exams and stuff from hospital so I could keep up.

Yeah so don't worry, you're not the only one and I applaud you for refusing to allow it to dominate your life :smile: Well done!

I think ur amazing to talk about ur experiences i can understand the friends moving on part ive missed so many people this year.
But remember these things are sent to to test us!! Life may be boring without the little floors which make us all unique!

:smile: :smile:
Sounds like you guys have had a really tough time! :hugs: fairyspangles ;console; Nazgul

I had a mini panic attack at work today. My boss told me I can't use my iPod :frown: The noise and distraction in the office nearly drives me mental while I'm trying to focus, and I sometimes grind to a total standstill trying to hold on to my train of thought. The noise and confusion became so strong I started to breath fast and panic. Felt really silly. I'm thinking of telling them about it but I haven't had time to think through what and how.
Also struggling with the person I work with who oversees me. She's really nice but she gets the wrong impression about me, and gets frustrated with me because I don't understand her alot of the time. Its hard to explain something like this to people when you seem 'normal' to them. I usually get scepticism/ 'oh please' sort of responses. Meh :hmpf:

Latest