The Student Room Group

Student finance and Universal Credit

Hi, I have applied for a Foundation degree in Person Centred Counselling beginning in September 2024. I am 44, single and disabled. I am currently living on Universal Credit and PIP. I have not had student funding before so I am confident I will be eligible for the tuition fee loan and will probably qualify for the maximum maintenance loan. However, I cannot find any clear information anywhere on how this would affect my universal credit. I believe they will take the maintenance loan as income but I don't know if I will still be entitled to any UC. I'm quite anxious about it as obviously I would still need to pay all my bills. I am not well enough to work and study at the same time. Does anyone know if or how much UC I would still be entitled to as a single, disabled mature student? Thanks in advance
Original post by joannalouise979
Hi, I have applied for a Foundation degree in Person Centred Counselling beginning in September 2024. I am 44, single and disabled. I am currently living on Universal Credit and PIP. I have not had student funding before so I am confident I will be eligible for the tuition fee loan and will probably qualify for the maximum maintenance loan. However, I cannot find any clear information anywhere on how this would affect my universal credit. I believe they will take the maintenance loan as income but I don't know if I will still be entitled to any UC. I'm quite anxious about it as obviously I would still need to pay all my bills. I am not well enough to work and study at the same time. Does anyone know if or how much UC I would still be entitled to as a single, disabled mature student? Thanks in advance

Hi Joanna. The only information we can provide from here is that the loan will have an effect on your Universal Credit amount but we cannot say by how much. If you receive PIP, you can send us your PIP letter to be assessed for an additional amount of Maintenance Loan that would be exempt from impacting your UC but for any other questions you would have to contact UC directly. Thanks, David

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending