The Student Room Group

Can't take it anymore

I'm a year 12 student taking 3 A levels after already dropping one, and I'm so done with them. I can't find any type of will or motivation to carry on, even after visiting universities I *wanted* to go to.
I feel like I'm giving up if I drop out and go to college but I feel like I can't take it anymore. I don't know what I want to do with my life and I feel really unsupported by my school. I'm behind on revision for my AS which is in less than a month but I just can't find any source of motivation anymore.
I feel so lost. :frown:
You need to share really and get someone to talk though or listen to how you are feeling. Your GP, Childline 08001111, school counselor or your mum. They cna assess how you are feeling and reassure you that whatever choice yopu make stay or go it will be fine.

If uni didnt inspire you, then theres no reason to go. You can always change your mind and go later.

Your health is more important. Not everyone goes to uni and lost of people do apprenticeships or go to college then work their way into uni after working a bit and doing more vocational qualifications.

To find out what yoir choices are then maybe talk to a careers adviser.
0800 100 900 or you can chat online with one.
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

Perhaps you just need a break. If you know its not for you, then don go along with the crowd, but make choices you think are good for you. College isnt a bad idea, but try and think it through.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a year 12 student taking 3 A levels after already dropping one, and I'm so done with them. I can't find any type of will or motivation to carry on, even after visiting universities I *wanted* to go to.
I feel like I'm giving up if I drop out and go to college but I feel like I can't take it anymore. I don't know what I want to do with my life and I feel really unsupported by my school. I'm behind on revision for my AS which is in less than a month but I just can't find any source of motivation anymore.
I feel so lost. :frown:

I have been in a very similar situation as you. When i was in my last year of school (six years ago) all my friends were getting good grades and getting accepted into their top uni choices. After bombing my 5th year highers, i struggled to decide what do with myself and felt so lost. I ended up going to uni simply because everyone else was...i dropped out 4 months later and felt like a complete failure. I ended up going to college the following year doing a HND which was completely different to my uni course but it was something that i knew i would enjoy(filming and photography). After college i worked in television for a while and to be honest i was still deciding what to do with myself. I ended up travelling solo for a year and as cliche as it sounds i learnt a lot about myself and it gave me the ultimate confidence boost. Things are going well for me now, i've just been accepted to do nursing starting this year and i can't wait! It's taken me a while to decide what i want to do but i've had such an adventure finding my direction :smile:

My advice to you is don't give up because although it might not seem like it now something is going to work out for you and it's going to be awesome. Don't feel pressured by friends or school to go to uni like i did. Take your time to decide because its your life not theirs, go travelling, try new things and stay positive - you can do this!

Quick Reply

Latest