The Student Room Group

Should I talk to my teacher?

I know everyone says you should always talk to a teacher if you need advice or anything but I'm so shy and awkward and my teacher is the one person who can make me smile by being in the same room as me but she is also really busy and also has to sort out many other problems as she is the deputy head.

I'm 14 and I've been really down recently I haven't been happy for more than about 3 hours in a row and I want to talk to her but I don't know what I would say and I feel like there isn't any way she could help? I don't even know what I would say to ask her if I could talk to her and if she would judge me or not. Like dont get me wrong she is so lovely but I don't want her to think badly of me etc.

I'm probably overthinking this but I honestly worry too much about everything and I don't even know if I can bring myself to knock on the door to her office.

Ah sorry if this makes no sense lol.

Tash x
Your teachers are there to help, and she will manage to make time for you at some point, even if it is the case where you have to get in early or leave a little late. Be aware that she probably won't be able to deal with this on her own, especially if it is a mental health issue, so you may be passed on to student services.
She shouldn't judge you; you won't be the first and you certainly won't be the last!
Hope everything is ok :smile:
Definitely if you like that particular teacher :smile:
I talked to one of my teachers about a little query I had and I ended up crying my eyes out which I hadn't expected at all.
Like I find it just embarassing crying in front of anyone, but she was really nice with me and was grateful that I had spoke to her.

They are there to help so go for it!
Reply 3
Original post by Pentaquark
Definitely if you like that particular teacher :smile:
I talked to one of my teachers about a little query I had and I ended up crying my eyes out which I hadn't expected at all.
Like I find it just embarassing crying in front of anyone, but she was really nice with me and was grateful that I had spoke to her.

They are there to help so go for it!

Aw that's so nice to hear! Thankyou so much :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I know everyone says you should always talk to a teacher if you need advice or anything but I'm so shy and awkward and my teacher is the one person who can make me smile by being in the same room as me but she is also really busy and also has to sort out many other problems as she is the deputy head.

I'm 14 and I've been really down recently I haven't been happy for more than about 3 hours in a row and I want to talk to her but I don't know what I would say and I feel like there isn't any way she could help? I don't even know what I would say to ask her if I could talk to her and if she would judge me or not. Like dont get me wrong she is so lovely but I don't want her to think badly of me etc.

I'm probably overthinking this but I honestly worry too much about everything and I don't even know if I can bring myself to knock on the door to her office.

Ah sorry if this makes no sense lol.

Tash x

This is exactly one of the things she is there for! I think you are overthinking it. Teachers are there to help students and support them with their problems.
Most schools will have some sort of counsling service and they should also have advice about other peole to go to (like doctors, CAMHS etc).

I'd write down some stuff you want to say as a practice. You even could write a letter for her asking for a meeting and explaining why if you would find it easier.

I had a hard time at secondry school and once a teacher I didn't even like very much saw me crying in the hall and took me to her office to talk. It's what they're there for and they've dealt with it before so won't judge you.

If you'd like you can pm me to work some of it out or have a chat. It's difficult to open up but once you step past that line it gets easier and easier. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Kindred
This is exactly one of the things she is there for! I think you are overthinking it. Teachers are there to help students and support them with their problems.
Most schools will have some sort of counsling service and they should also have advice about other peole to go to (like doctors, CAMHS etc).

I'd write down some stuff you want to say as a practice. You even could write a letter for her asking for a meeting and explaining why if you would find it easier.

I had a hard time at secondry school and once a teacher I didn't even like very much saw me crying in the hall and took me to her office to talk. It's what they're there for and they've dealt with it before so won't judge you.

If you'd like you can pm me to work some of it out or have a chat. It's difficult to open up but once you step past that line it gets easier and easier. :smile:

thanks for the advice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest