The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Got my first appt with my CPN this year today. Hope it's a good appt and that as much as I like my CPN, hope she'll make the referral for schema soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by purple-duck

Sorry his parents pressuring you :s-smilie: That isn't nice :/ Have you spoken to him about it? :hugs:
Oh :frown: Some of them can though? But yeah, not nice to lose friends a bit/housemates.

Hope GP helps - do you have anything nice you can do tomorrow to tide you through? :hugs:
:jumphug:

Yeah, but there's not much he can do unfortunately :frown: two of my housemates will be staying with me, but six of them aren't, which will be a bit of a shock! I'm used to having lots of people around

-
Had my GP appointment and I've been prescribed antidepressants. I'm really scared because I've never taken MH medication before, and I've heard all kinds of horror stories. My boyfriend said they made him suicidal initially, and I really don't want to feel worse than I already do. Any advice? :smile:
Original post by Ezme39

Had my GP appointment and I've been prescribed antidepressants. I'm really scared because I've never taken MH medication before, and I've heard all kinds of horror stories. My boyfriend said they made him suicidal initially, and I really don't want to feel worse than I already do. Any advice? :smile:

Not everyone will get that side effect. I've been on anti depressants twice for pain. They had to take me off one because it made me suicidal and the other just made me tired all the time.
Original post by Ezme39
Yeah, but there's not much he can do unfortunately :frown: two of my housemates will be staying with me, but six of them aren't, which will be a bit of a shock! I'm used to having lots of people around

-

You will see it on all mental health medication, there is an increase risk of feeling suicidal in the first few weeks if you are under 25. I won't say it is normal, but like all medications, they do take time to get used to, and can have side effects.

Unfortunately, I can't give a positive story myself since I've been on 8 different ADs and APs. But for some people on here, they have been life savers. So, please, try them, and if they don't work out, they don't work out. Just stay safe and record down any changes in mood, appetite etc, to see if it is the AD that is making these changes. :hugs:
Original post by Tiger Rag
Not everyone will get that side effect. I've been on anti depressants twice for pain. They had to take me off one because it made me suicidal and the other just made me tired all the time.

Original post by Airmed
You will see it on all mental health medication, there is an increase risk of feeling suicidal in the first few weeks if you are under 25. I won't say it is normal, but like all medications, they do take time to get used to, and can have side effects.

Unfortunately, I can't give a positive story myself since I've been on 8 different ADs and APs. But for some people on here, they have been life savers. So, please, try them, and if they don't work out, they don't work out. Just stay safe and record down any changes in mood, appetite etc, to see if it is the AD that is making these changes. :hugs:

Thank you both :smile: and that's a good idea, to make a record. It's reassuring to hear that it's not an effect that everyone has, and I will definitely give them a try
Original post by Ezme39
Thank you both :smile: and that's a good idea, to make a record. It's reassuring to hear that it's not an effect that everyone has, and I will definitely give them a try

I felt worse for a couple of weeks (I was actively suicidal anyway so it's hard to tell) and had some pretty horrible side effects but they did wear off after that. I've been on them about nine months or so now and although they haven't helped me with what I actually started them for, my MH has been so much better. Not saying there's not been any bad bits and everything is amazing but they probably saved my life tbh. It won't be nice at first and they're a bit trial and error-y but if you can stick it out hopefully they'll help a lot :smile:

Good luck @Spock's Socks, and well done @Noodlzzz that's amazing!!
I really want to stop my meds
Original post by 1lastchance
I really want to stop my meds

I would really speak to your mental health team before stopping them. It's not nice to go cold turkey. :sadnod:

---

I've been shortlisted for assessment for an internship programme for people with learning or mental health difficulties, I am so happy! :woo: I didn't expect it at all as I didn't submit in an application until the night before, and the questions sucked, but yay!
Original post by Airmed
I would really speak to your mental health team before stopping them. It's not nice to go cold turkey. :sadnod:

---

I've been shortlisted for assessment for an internship programme for people with learning or mental health difficulties, I am so happy! :woo: I didn't expect it at all as I didn't submit in an application until the night before, and the questions sucked, but yay!

they won't let me stop them.
they won't let me stop them.

They must have their reasons?
Original post by Airmed
They must have their reasons?

they want me to come off them gradually , but it is taking too long.
they want me to come off them gradually , but it is taking too long.

Gradually is best though, really. Coming off them quickly won't give your body a chance to get used to not having them
e
Original post by Airmed
Gradually is best though, really. Coming off them quickly won't give your body a chance to get used to not having them

what's the worst that could happen?
e

Horrible side effects and potentially becoming suicidal, which has happened to me before, and I ended up in hospital.
e

Cold turkey off meds is really not a good idea.
It generally makes everything 50x worse because not only may you actually nog be ready come off meds so deal with feeling **** but withdrawl symptoms usually suck balls.
Iv tried it quite a few times

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airmed
Horrible side effects and potentially becoming suicidal, which has happened to me before, and I ended up in hospital.

i take clozaril and haldol. is it likely i would get similar side effects?
Anxiety under control but depression creeping in. I gave up on taking medication. Nothing feels good anymore and there is nothing to look forward to. I am too inadequate to live a satisfying life. I feel ugly and disgusting and tired all the time. I am not good enough for friends or for love. In fact, I have no friends to talk to this about and family do not understand or believe that I am suffering. I thought I had someone to talk to but they told me they hate hearing me talk about mental health problems. I can't open up to them anymore. I don't want them to leave me. I miss the excitement and happiness of 2016. I hate living with this constant humiliation.
i take clozaril and haldol. is it likely i would get similar side effects?

Possibly. Have never used either, but like all medication, there is side effects from withdrawal
Guys, go vote for MHSS as most helpful thread of the year :woo:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4542228&p=69916490#post69916490
So glad MHSS has been nominated! We won last year, let's win again! :woo:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4542228

Lots of hugs to everyone! :hugs:

I had another CBT session today, showed me how much progress I'm making now, still a way to go but small steps, I can do it :dumbells:

Hope things are okay or will be for you all :grouphugs:

Latest