The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being Gay is a choice

I don't think people are naturally born homosexual, i think its a choice, you can agree or disagree.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TGS_Lila
I don't think people are naturally born homosexual, i think its a choice, you can agree or disagree.

I think being stupid is a choice, too. People aren't born smart or stupid, I think it's a choice. Some people are just bad at making the right choices.
Is anything a choice?
Is th fact that you like/dislike football a choice?
Is the fact that you like/dislike a certain food a choice?
Is the fact that you liked/disliked maths at school a choice?
Are any of these choices? Can you control them/ have more control over some choices than others?
I'll explain. Do we (humans) do things because we consciously have controlled our brains to want to do something, or is it the other way round, does something in our brain - in a way a pre determine our lives - do we have control over anything and just think that we do? I'm not sure about this but when people have brain injuries, they can turn into completely different people suggesting that it is the latter.
I've never heard of a brain injury induceing gayness but I wouldn't rule it out.
We may believe we are in control of our lives and personality, but really this could just be out brain doing it and we think we're in control when really we may not be. Who knows.
No it's not. I would choose to be heterosexual anyday and I think the vast majority of LGBTQIA people would. You are wrong.
Reply 4
I've read the links.
Firstly, the number of people that are homosexual is increasing. why? because people make choices to be ghay where it is acceptable. Countries like korea and india have no one that is homosexual, also theres no law on it, ive only heard of one person being gay in korea and nothing happened to them. Therefore if it is a choice i think people will more likely..make a decision.
Also im not homophobic im just saying out what im thinking and many others do to.
Original post by ivybridge
No it's not. I would choose to be heterosexual anyday and I think the vast majority of LGBTQIA people would. You are wrong.

Sames, honestly I would take being gay over being ace any day because of the jokes and I get the piss taken out of me on a daily basis never mind the uncomfortable questions...
I've read the links.
Firstly, the number of people that are homosexual is increasing. why? because people make choices to be ghay where it is acceptable. Countries like korea and india have no one that is homosexual, also theres no law on it, ive only heard of one person being gay in korea and nothing happened to them. Therefore if it is a choice i think people will more likely..make a decision.
Also im not homophobic im just saying out what im thinking and many others do to.

Because its more acceptable for people to come out as gay. In countries where there is a strong religious presence, you get fewer people coming out because its unsafe. Here, we are totally okay, Uganda, you'll be killed. See the difference? I don't want to be killed for who i am, so i dont tell anyone.
Original post by LoveTheDivergent
Sames, honestly I would take being gay over being ace any day because of the jokes and I get the piss taken out of me on a daily basis never mind the uncomfortable questions...

That won't change with you being gay... I don't understand your comment? Do you mean you'd take being straight, not gay?
THIS!!! :adore:

Plus there's a lot of anecdotal evidence out there! I personally am not even a little bit ashamed about liking women, but it definitely wasn't a conscious choice.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Is anything a choice?
Is th fact that you like/dislike football a choice?
Is the fact that you like/dislike a certain food a choice?
Is the fact that you liked/disliked maths at school a choice?
Are any of these choices? Can you control them/ have more control over some choices than others?
I'll explain. Do we (humans) do things because we consciously have controlled our brains to want to do something, or is it the other way round, does something in our brain - in a way a pre determine our lives - do we have control over anything and just think that we do? I'm not sure about this but when people have brain injuries, they can turn into completely different people suggesting that it is the latter.
I've never heard of a brain injury induceing gayness but I wouldn't rule it out.
We may believe we are in control of our lives and personality, but really this could just be out brain doing it and we think we're in control when really we may not be. Who knows.

Very true :redface:
i really like this reply, its making me think now .
That won't change with you being gay... I don't understand your comment? Do you mean you'd take being straight, not gay?

No, I'd take being gay over being ace because people are nore open to gay people and there's less stigma surrounding gay people than ace people.
I've read the links.

No, people feel safer coming out as gay, even if there are no laws against it that doesn't automatically make it socially acceptable in all cultures.
Said it before and I'll say it again - it's not a choice, it's like one person liking pizza and another not liking pizza. It's a matter of personal taste and how you're wired.

Oh, well ****, thanks for giving us permission :rofl:
I've read the links.

How do you find out who's gay and who isn't? By polls or things thay require people to admit their orientation. In a world where it is now more acceptable, the numbers being okay to admit it would naturally increase. Why is this so hard for you to get your head around? Anybody claiming people choose to be gay is utterly delirious. Did you wake up one day and make a conscious decision to love the opposite sex? No? Then be quiet.
No, I'd take being gay over being ace because people are nore open to gay people and there's less stigma surrounding gay people than ace people.

Right... Not really but okay.

I know the feeling. I'm ****ing ace, me - I know I'm ace and some people dislike me for it.
Reply 16

mmm but there is a split in the LGBT community where one side think its a choice and the other dont. Also, is a transgender gay, thats in their community.

Im not trying to prove you wrong here but just know more of peoples opinions and if so change mine.
Reply 17
Original post by WoodyMKC
Said it before and I'll say it again - it's not a choice, it's like one person liking pizza and another not liking pizza. It's a matter of personal taste and how you're wired.

Oh, well ****, thanks for giving us permission :rofl:

ooooh i see o.o

Totally agree.
If i was straight i wouldn't even have to answer this on anonymous
i could like who i wanted openly and freely
i could have kisses with the girls i wanted to
i could go out with my crushes
and i wouldn't have to dread 'coming out'

but sure OP it is totally a choice :colonhash:
Yep, I also chose to be white too :colonhash: My mother ate a lot of white chocolate whilst I was in her womb :colonhash: She also seen so many beautiful rainbows after the rain, so she was like awwwww man, I wish my son was as cute as these rainbows and there it went :gah:

Latest