The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

IR as third subject

I'm aware International Relations is often oversubscribed to and therefore not avalible to everyone to take as a third subject for people who are not taking a degree with it. But is anyone aware of how likely/unlikely it is to get accepted? What are the chances of getting a place in IR as a third subject? Very slim, about 50/50?
I'm applying for IR as my major and I have decided to ignore odds and apply anyway. ( I didn't know you could choose three, they said online it's rare though. Why choose 3? )
Anyway, whatever the odds are, whether 50 or 10% you still stand a good shot so apply anyway if it's what you want! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Shadow Hunters
I'm applying for IR as my major and I have decided to ignore odds and apply anyway. ( I didn't know you could choose three, they said online it's rare though. Why choose 3? )
Anyway, whatever the odds are, whether 50 or 10% you still stand a good shot so apply anyway if it's what you want! :smile:

All first and second years do 3 subjects. If you apply for say IR and Arabic, you will have to chose a third subject when you get to the University.

The problem can be that some people would like to do IR as their third subject (like the OP) but it can be very oversubscribed
Original post by LadyBunion
All first and second years do 3 subjects. If you apply for say IR and Arabic, you will have to chose a third subject when you get to the University.

The problem can be that some people would like to do IR as their third subject (like the OP) but it can be very oversubscribed

I thought you could do an "honours" degree which mainly focuses on modules in your single chosen subject but tbh, I'm waiting till results day to look properly into university courses so I am probably wrong. I thought you didn't have much of a say in the 1st year course classes so I didn't really think about it much. I know what I'd choose though if I were doing 3. Is it the same in all Scottish universities because I never thought about it?
Original post by Shadow Hunters
I thought you could do an "honours" degree which mainly focuses on modules in your single chosen subject but tbh, I'm waiting till results day to look properly into university courses so I am probably wrong. I thought you didn't have much of a say in the 1st year course classes so I didn't really think about it much. I know what I'd choose though if I were doing 3. Is it the same in all Scottish universities because I never thought about it?

You do get a say i the courses but as each subject only has one module per semester so it is a case of choosing subjects rather than modules. some of the subjects are obviously defined by your degree but the other (others) are for you to choose. Depending on what you choose can give flexibility in changing the degree at honours (years 3 & 4) as sometimes people opt to change subject when they have tried out something else at junior hons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending