The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL International Relations & War Studies Offer Holders 2020

Hi everyone!

As offers have been rolling out for War Studies department courses, I thought I'd make this thread.

It'd be great to get to know each other a bit before September!

Scroll to see replies

I'm on my final year of a War Studies BA at KCL, if you've got any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by TangoWhisky
I'm on my final year of a War Studies BA at KCL, if you've got any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them!

Hi TangoWhisky,

I heard that there is some kind of a gender inequality and a bias in favor of the male students in this department (especially in this course). Is there any reality to this? I genuienly hope not but, much appreciated if you can clarify...

Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi TangoWhisky,

I heard that there is some kind of a gender inequality and a bias in favor of the male students in this department (especially in this course). Is there any reality to this? I genuienly hope not but, much appreciated if you can clarify...

Thanks.

There's been no such issues with my cohort of students. There have been issues in the past (before I came to KCL), but the department has gone to a lot of effort to stamp them out. From my perspective, War Studies does seem to be more popular amongst male students, and International Relations amongst female students, however, you will find similar trends and breakdowns on all university courses.

Long story short, I've seen no bias or inequality, but I can only speak for my year of study as there have been issues in the past. I think the problems you are referring to are from 2016?

https://thetab.com/uk/kings/2016/03/10/im-fed-up-of-my-war-studies-classmates-being-sexist-7946
There's been no such issues with my cohort of students. There have been issues in the past (before I came to KCL), but the department has gone to a lot of effort to stamp them out. From my perspective, War Studies does seem to be more popular amongst male students, and International Relations amongst female students, however, you will find similar trends and breakdowns on all university courses.

Long story short, I've seen no bias or inequality, but I can only speak for my year of study as there have been issues in the past. I think the problems you are referring to are from 2016?

https://thetab.com/uk/kings/2016/03/10/im-fed-up-of-my-war-studies-classmates-being-sexist-7946

when do offers typically comeout for international relations at kings
Original post by J.F.Kgreatest

My offer for War Studies came through around February/March if I remember correctly.
Original post by J.F.Kgreatest

I got an offer this year in early November.
Original post by msm14
I got an offer this year in early November.

i am still waiting for one.

Hi Tango,

I have an unconditionnal offer for a IR BA, but I'm waiting for the IR BS of LSE. Do you think that the BA IR is better in Kings or in LSE ? Retrospectivly, would you have attended to LSE instead of Kings ? Is the specific knowledge of the War Studies department really different from other unis ?

Thanks !
Original post by Dupont-S
Hi Tango,

I have an unconditionnal offer for a IR BA, but I'm waiting for the IR BS of LSE. Do you think that the BA IR is better in Kings or in LSE ? Retrospectivly, would you have attended to LSE instead of Kings ? Is the specific knowledge of the War Studies department really different from other unis ?

Thanks !

Hi!

I actually applied for War Studies at KCL, and IR at KCL and LSE, amongst others. I was in a position where I only wanted to read War Studies but applied for other courses as a precaution. In my case, I was rejected by LSE and given conditional offers for both courses at KCL.

Retrospectively, even if I had been awarded a place at LSE, I would have taken the place at KCL for War Studies, but they are distinctly(ish) different courses. Although LSE is the better university than KCL, the War Studies department at KCL is world-leading, and is very prestigious and held in high regard amongst the people who know about it. The IR course at KCL is part of the War Studies department. I think the specialities of the War Studies department are very distinct, and are rivalled only be Georgetown and military institutions. I have had a great time on my course and have had lectures from subject experts (former head of MI5, former head of GCHQ, WWII veterans, Iraq/Afghanistan veterans, etc...). You also need to consider the opportunities that the departments LSE IR and the KCL WS departments can offer you. I can't speak for LSE, by due to the nature of the KCL WS department, we have really good opportunities in the sector. We've got links with RUSI and Chatham House, and we were even able to help and participate in the NATO Engages conference last year.

I hope I've given a good summary of your questions. I can only speak from my opinion and so I can say much about LSE.

Tango
Reply 10
Hi Tango,

Thanks !

Going to echo what Tango said—the War Studies department is super highly acclaimed.

What that means for your studies and IR in particular (at least from what I've heard from others doing IR at LSE) is that King's looks at a lot of IR-related issues from a much more practical perspective (in part due to King's research itself being focused on qualitative over quantitative analysis in the social sciences, when compared to unis like UCL and LSE), as opposed to LSE's deeper dives into specific aspects of the IR orthodoxy. Especially in the first year, learning about IR theories and the more philosophical aspects of the field, we're constantly linking them to how those theoretical affiliations have manifested among leading policy-makers throughout history and current geopolitical issues, approaching it all much more critically.

Later on in year 2, you get to choose whether you want to learn stuff like War in the International Order or Statecraft & Diplomacy, which focus on the practice and conduct of IR, or go for something like Foreign Policy Analysis or Contemporary IR Theory, which will go even more in depth on modern theoretical approaches. You get a lot of choice in the matter anyway, but I'd say there's a huge focus on not only giving you insight into the current issues concerning IR, but understanding how those issues emerged across systemic, domestic, and individual levels, in an attempt to get you to engage with IR as a field more so than just overwhelming you with theory that you wouldn't actually apply, were you to become a policy-maker later on.
Thanks a lot Tango and karlis, it helped me a lot.

I'll consider your sayings if I get an offer from LSE. If they refuse me, of course I'll accept Kings.

Your explanations were very clear and it makes me really enthousiast about this undergrad program. Also, do you know if there is any internship or interesting extra-curicular activities related to the IR and Security fields that can be followed in the same time in KCL ?

Thanks
Thanks a lot Tango and karlis, it helped me a lot.

I'll consider your sayings if I get an offer from LSE. If they refuse me, of course I'll accept Kings.

Your explanations were very clear and it makes me really enthousiast about this undergrad program. Also, do you know if there is any internship or interesting extra-curicular activities related to the IR and Security fields that can be followed in the same time in KCL ?

Thanks

You're very welcome!

There's plenty of extra-curricular activities related to IR and security. You'd be best to look into student societies as they'll best fit in with your studies (the KCL Crisis Simulation, for example).

I'd also look into internships during your holidays. I've just applied for the International Security internship with Chatham House, focusing on CBRN weapons, cybersecurity, war and conflict, international treaties, technology and security. There's dozens of similar institutions, you'll just need to keep an eye out for postings and your fingers crossed as they're fairly competitive.

Also, if you're at all interested in the practical end of security, I'd highly recommend joining the University Royal Navy Unit, the University Officer Training Corps, or the University Air Squadron. You'd join as an honorary officer; your training fits in around your studies; you get a practical look at the armed forces (to a degree); and you draw a salary.

Tango
You're very welcome!

There's plenty of extra-curricular activities related to IR and security. You'd be best to look into student societies as they'll best fit in with your studies (the KCL Crisis Simulation, for example).

I'd also look into internships during your holidays. I've just applied for the International Security internship with Chatham House, focusing on CBRN weapons, cybersecurity, war and conflict, international treaties, technology and security. There's dozens of similar institutions, you'll just need to keep an eye out for postings and your fingers crossed as they're fairly competitive.

Also, if you're at all interested in the practical end of security, I'd highly recommend joining the University Royal Navy Unit, the University Officer Training Corps, or the University Air Squadron. You'd join as an honorary officer; your training fits in around your studies; you get a practical look at the armed forces (to a degree); and you draw a salary.

Tango

Again, thanks a lot.

In fact, I'm an EU student (French), and I'm already in a military school, therefore I'm highly interested in the programs you mentioned. But it seems a little bit tricky for non-UK nationals. I sent some emails, I hope I'll get an answer about that.

Also, about internships : as I have only my A-levels, do you think that there are opportunities for the next holidays ? Do they take people that have not completed their BA, that are in the first or second year of it ?

I'll look carefully to the students societies, it seems to be very interesting !
Again, thanks a lot.

In fact, I'm an EU student (French), and I'm already in a military school, therefore I'm highly interested in the programs you mentioned. But it seems a little bit tricky for non-UK nationals. I sent some emails, I hope I'll get an answer about that.

Also, about internships : as I have only my A-levels, do you think that there are opportunities for the next holidays ? Do they take people that have not completed their BA, that are in the first or second year of it ?

I'll look carefully to the students societies, it seems to be very interesting !

Unfortunately with regard to the military programmes I mentioned, unfortunately I doubt you'd be able to join without British or Commonwealth citizenship. However, internships and societies shouldn't be a problem! Regarding internships before graduation, it shouldn't be a problem. Students always can always apply with predicted grades, and if you can demonstrate passion for the subject from other means, all the better.

Tango
Hey do you guys know what the employment prospects for IR and History is like? I got an offer but since I'm an international student I'm not too sure whether I should do it or not since I can't work in UK/EU politics. Think tanks like Chatham House seems quite hard to get into and it looks like a dead-end if you can't move into politics.

I got medicine offers but have been flirting with the idea of IR + history for a year or so now so if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it
Hey

I am a french student and I have applied to Politics and International Studies at Warwick and International relations at KCL. I got an offer from Warwick but got rejected from Kcl for this course. Instead they made an offer for History and International Relations. I am struggling to understand the reputation of each university for these subjects. I am also wondering if the History and international relations Ba at Kcl at the History and the War studies departement is as prestigious as the International relations Ba?
Thanks
Original post by IVincent
Hey

I am a french student and I have applied to Politics and International Studies at Warwick and International relations at KCL. I got an offer from Warwick but got rejected from Kcl for this course. Instead they made an offer for History and International Relations. I am struggling to understand the reputation of each university for these subjects. I am also wondering if the History and international relations Ba at Kcl at the History and the War studies departement is as prestigious as the International relations Ba?
Thanks

lol when I was applying I thought History + IR is more prestigious than just IR. They have the same entry requirements and King's seems to be really proud of the course too but I guess it comes down to whether you like the modules or not. Employability is probably identical.
Original post by MechDoge
lol when I was applying I thought History + IR is more prestigious than just IR. They have the same entry requirements and King's seems to be really proud of the course too but I guess it comes down to whether you like the modules or not. Employability is probably identical.

The only reason why is was wondering about the difference between those courses is because I got rejected for the International Relations Ba which I applied to and they offered me the IR+History course instead. Is this course more linked to the history department than the war studies one?
Original post by IVincent
The only reason why is was wondering about the difference between those courses is because I got rejected for the International Relations Ba which I applied to and they offered me the IR+History course instead. Is this course more linked to the history department than the war studies one?

Maybe they thought that you're too good for the IR program haha. Dw you would have received a BA History if they consider you not good enough for IR

Quick Reply

Latest