The Student Room Group

What social media/network do you prefer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Instagram is handy to store my favourite snaps on
Facebook to arrange things with friends
Youtube is sweet as when ones bored or needs to find a tune
But i personally like VK :smile:
Reply 21
Instagram is handy to store my favourite snaps on
Facebook to arrange things with friends
Youtube is sweet as when ones bored or needs to find a tune
But i personally like VK :smile:
I use Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter and they all have different reasons why i love each. But Twitter is the ultimate. You get news right as it's released and the memes.. oh the memes. IG is good for memes too but not like twitter.
I use YouTube, Tumblr and The Student Room

I mainly use Tumblr to see fanarts of my OTPs and anime/manga, and use YouTube for entertainment
so youtube is classified as a "social medium" now?
I'm disappointed Reddit isn't on this list.

Reddit master race!
Facebook and twitter is my favorite
Twitter is too funny to not be number one
None of 'em.
Facebook: It's great as an all rounder with groups/events etc and keeping in touch with people i know in real life. But they select to show "the most popular" things in the newsfeed and pages barely come up, also the apps (messenger and facebook) are getting bigger and run slowly and are simply awful to use compared to whatsapp, twitter etc

Instagram: Great for pictures, sharing , no links, easy, simple, basically does what it does very well but doesnt do a lot

Twitter: shows everything chronologically and if you subscribe to it, you actually get it unlike facebook , simpler and easier than facebook, should be used by more people imo and if it started groups and events it would easily overtake facebook

Snapchat: Really dont see the hype, why cant you screenshot something on your own phone privately is beyond me and not being able to view snaps forever is dumb.

YouTube: Great at what it does - videos. I never even really think of it as social media though, but it's simply unbeatable
Original post by PugDevil
We use them every day, but what is everybody's favourite to use and why?

Personally, I think Youtube is my favourite, just because it's easy to watch videos etc. I think Facebook, although I use it the most, is actually quite boring! However, in this day and age it has become a bit essential :redface:

YouTube counts as social media? I guess it does, never realised that before!

My favourite is Facebook. It's how I communicate with everyone as it's free. I barely use my phone anymore.

TSR also deserves a mention, of course!
Reply 31
YouTube. I use that and Facebook mainly. I use Facebook as more of a communication method now tbh; I agree with others that its pretty boring. I also have Twitter and Instagram accounts but I hardly use them.
YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Quora is amazing. I don't know if it even classes as a social media but hey.

Technically it's a Q&A but it is also like a social media site.
And unlike many Social Media sites, everybody there is very respectful of your views.

Just give it a try. :smile:
Reply 34
YouTube
Surprised there was no mention of discord, steam's chat/messaging/groups feature and tapatalks forums. They're great to use if you want to network with like minded people imo whilst avoiding the bigger stage and exposure that the other more reknowned SM platforms offer.
A lot depends on what you want to use "social media" for. For "microblogging" (limited characters, short li'l quips, memes, etc., like Twitter) I would use one of the federated platforms, like Mastodon instead of a big, censorship-driven centralized platform like Twitter.

For "macroblogging" (longer posts, more thoughtful and substantial content, kinda sorta like Facebook), again I prefer a federated, de-centralized platform like Diaspora to a big, corporate centralized one like Facebook or Instagram.

The reasons for this:

On the big corporate ones, you are the product, the merchandise offered for sale to advertisers and others. This is never the case on Mastodon, Diaspora, Friendica, etc.

Your content is yours and remains yours. Your posts do not become the property of someone else who can alter it, edit it, censor it, sell it, whatever. Not so on the big corporate sites.

You build your own circles, friendships, etc. These platforms won't suggest "people you may know" or "stuff you might like." It takes time because you "build your own," but it's lots better IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending