The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing a film course?

I've been debating what I want to do at uni or if I actually want to go, as I have no idea what I want to do when I'm older, and the only thing that really interests me is film and English (thought it would be too much at uni). So I'm just looking to see if anyone has advice on whether doing film is worth it and if so, film studies or film production?
Reply 1
Original post by C3sca
I've been debating what I want to do at uni or if I actually want to go, as I have no idea what I want to do when I'm older, and the only thing that really interests me is film and English (thought it would be too much at uni). So I'm just looking to see if anyone has advice on whether doing film is worth it and if so, film studies or film production?

My brother used to want to do film and now he wants to go into graphics instead so the question is why a degree in film? Answer that first and it will help you understand what your goals for uni are and if it's the right path for you. If you do decide that you want to go to uni you can do film studies and english as 1 course, just english (if you're passionate and willing to put the effort in you will do well) or a film course. Each course is different but from what my brother has told me "studies" courses are about theory so like english lit for film/media whereas "production" courses involve actually making (producing) your own content.
Reply 2

Spoiler

Original post by C3sca
Reply 3
Choosing between film studies and film production depends on your passions, career goals, desired skill development, and exposure to the industry. Film studies allow for a deep exploration of film as an art form, leading to careers in criticism, research, teaching, or programming. Film production offers practical experience in directing, producing, screenwriting, editing, and cinematography. Consider your interests in theory versus practical skills. Additionally, research internships, networking opportunities, and industry connections to gain real-world experience. Ultimately, both paths can be worthwhile, so reflect on your personal preferences and long-term goals to make an informed decision.
Original post by C3sca

Hello,
I did English Literature as part of my joint degree at undergraduate and I dabbled in a few film modules so I can definitely advocate that film studies is a fantastic course, especially linked in a joint honours with literature or language degrees.

The degree alongside being fun provides excellent opportunities for internships, writing careers etc. so don’t think of it as a nowhere degree at all!

As for film production I don’t have any experience personally of that degree so I can’t comment much on it, but I can do my best to say that film and literature are very tightly knit, especially when it comes to adaptation.

Hope this helps,
Dom
Original post by limaus
Choosing between film studies and film production depends on your passions, career goals, desired skill development, and exposure to the industry. Film studies allow for a deep exploration of film as an art form, leading to careers in criticism, research, teaching, or programming. Film production offers practical experience in directing, producing, screenwriting, editing, and cinematography. Consider your interests in theory versus practical skills. Additionally, research internships, networking opportunities, and industry connections to gain real-world experience. Ultimately, both paths can be worthwhile, so reflect on your personal preferences and long-term goals to make an informed decision.

This is such a great answer.

To add to this, film production is also a really desirable skill in marketing, as producing good video content is a difficult skill that not many marketers have, but with the way social algorithms now work, it's really desirable.

So if you are concerned about your film degree not having lots of job opportunities, I would argue it is an incredibly wise choice, as there would be plenty of opportunities for careers using those skills in basically all industry areas.

Good luck and whatever you decide, you can always change your mind if you feel it's not the right fit!

Jenny - a rep from Arts University Plymouth.
Original post by C3sca

Hi @C3sca :h:

It's good that you're weighing up what you'd like to do at uni, and if you want to go to uni at all - remember, if you're unsure at the moment it's always something you can come back to! Film & English are great subjects. I personally think it's worth it. You're probably aware that the main difference between studies and production is that studies can be largely theoretical (but amazinly rewarding, insightful and beneficial), and production is more practical/creative based. It's worth looking at specific course pages at the universities you're considering and having a look at the specific modules on each course to see what aligns best with your interests! Good luck with everything, whatever you end up doing! It's a fun subject to study :h:

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending