The Student Room Group

I must have had a charisma bypass judging by social media

Someone posted 16hrs ago about how much money they make every 4 weeks by praising God it was vaguely, to say the least, self congratulatory. They have 294 likes. I have 0 likes in 22hrs.The video was about lovers. I posted about a lover like all the other comments. I'm starting to get an 'invisibility' complex.
Reply 1
It's YouTube btw.
Reply 2
I can't understand when I think of probability and statistics, how peoples brains work and what is wrong with me?!! It was an on topic comment, everyone was posting about their loves. The world perplexes me so much sometimes.
Reply 3
Irony upon irony......
But you do realise that a lot goes into whether or not a comment is noticed on social media, and in reality only a small proportion of that is the actual quality of the message? You may have posted the greatest comment ever seen by human eyes, but if you don't have a social media following yourself, post it at the wrong time or in the wrong place, or for a host of other reasons there's every chance that it won't attract attention. If you expect likes purely based on what you write and it being similar to other posts that get likes, you're going to be very frustrated, because that's not how social media works.
Reply 5
Original post by Crazy Jamie
But you do realise that a lot goes into whether or not a comment is noticed on social media, and in reality only a small proportion of that is the actual quality of the message? You may have posted the greatest comment ever seen by human eyes, but if you don't have a social media following yourself, post it at the wrong time or in the wrong place, or for a host of other reasons there's every chance that it won't attract attention. If you expect likes purely based on what you write and it being similar to other posts that get likes, you're going to be very frustrated, because that's not how social media works.

My comment was like most others. Relatively modest and personal based on experience in love. This comment near mine was self congratulation and was like an advertisement scam. And zero likes in 22 hours Vs 294 in 16 hours.

This was YouTube so it doesn't depend on followers it's a level playing field.
Reply 6
It's even more bizarre given that every comment gets statistically roughly a certain amount of likes in time. Sure they vary but on YouTube they've all got their likes. I swear it's me, it's like with women too lol.
Reply 7
I'm just curious. I want more analysis of this phenomenon.
Reply 8
Oh dear oh dear.
Either the algorithm didn’t serve it up to people, attention to the video was front loaded or it just wasn’t that compelling a comment.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Someone posted 16hrs ago about how much money they make every 4 weeks by praising God it was vaguely, to say the least, self congratulatory. They have 294 likes. I have 0 likes in 22hrs.The video was about lovers. I posted about a lover like all the other comments. I'm starting to get an 'invisibility' complex.

I don't wish to sound mean, but this post actually made me laugh out loud 🤣 Yes, you're learning the world can be cruel and unfair sometimes.

Right, on a serious note, how many views did your video have compared to theirs? Chances are the person has got friends / followers who get notified whenever they post a video or something (so basically it's all a fix). Do you post on other peoples videos? Have you made friends with other social media influencers? Do you have a link to your YouTube channel on other social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Instagram etc.)

Try and target the kind of people who are likely to go for your content. Start networking. Look at similar influencers, tell them about your channel and what you do, and some of them may help you out a bit.

Alternatively, maybe you could try praising God... and maybe God will have mercy on you (sorry, I couldn't resist) 😜
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous #1
My comment was like most others. Relatively modest and personal based on experience in love. This comment near mine was self congratulation and was like an advertisement scam. And zero likes in 22 hours Vs 294 in 16 hours.

So your comment didn't stand out in a sea of comments about love and you wonder why nobody bothered about it? Anyway, if you are basing your self-worth on how many likes you get on social media you need to reassess your life.
Reply 12
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I don't wish to sound mean, but this post actually made me laugh out loud 🤣 Yes, you're learning the world can be cruel and unfair sometimes.

Right, on a serious note, how many views did your video have compared to theirs? Chances are the person has got friends / followers who get notified whenever they post a video or something (so basically it's all a fix). Do you post on other peoples videos? Have you made friends with other social media influencers? Do you have a link to your YouTube channel on other social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Instagram etc.)

Try and target the kind of people who are likely to go for your content. Start networking. Look at similar influencers, tell them about your channel and what you do, and some of them may help you out a bit.

Alternatively, maybe you could try praising God... and maybe God will have mercy on you (sorry, I couldn't resist) 😜

I already explained it was just a YouTube comments page for a vid. My comment was on topic like most others. They all have likes. It's more that it just perplexes me.
Original post by Anonymous

No, it isn't a level playing field at all. It seems to me that the main issue here is that you just don't understand how social media works. And honestly, it's not worth finding out. Chasing likes on any social media platform is just such a futile thing to focus on. Even if you do manage to crack it, it just becomes an endless pursuit of more and more likes and the dopamine hit that comes with it, which also does more harm than good in the long run. I managed it on Twitter for a while because I figured out the sort of tweets (in terms of content and timing) that would have a bigger chance of going viral. I gained a pretty decent following, and was regularly tweeting out content that would go viral and get retweeted by some pretty big accounts. But I realised that all it was doing was making me obsess over the next tweet and where the next viral content would come from. And actually, because I had to engage with accounts that I really didn't like in order to trigger those who followed me, all it was really doing was making me angry. So I stopped, and I feel so much better for it. So for what it's worth, as someone who had the sort of success that you would seemingly like to have, I'd really advise against pursuing it, and in fact I'd advise against posting comments on Youtube at all.
Reply 14
Original post by Crazy Jamie
No, it isn't a level playing field at all. It seems to me that the main issue here is that you just don't understand how social media works. And honestly, it's not worth finding out. Chasing likes on any social media platform is just such a futile thing to focus on. Even if you do manage to crack it, it just becomes an endless pursuit of more and more likes and the dopamine hit that comes with it, which also does more harm than good in the long run. I managed it on Twitter for a while because I figured out the sort of tweets (in terms of content and timing) that would have a bigger chance of going viral. I gained a pretty decent following, and was regularly tweeting out content that would go viral and get retweeted by some pretty big accounts. But I realised that all it was doing was making me obsess over the next tweet and where the next viral content would come from. And actually, because I had to engage with accounts that I really didn't like in order to trigger those who followed me, all it was really doing was making me angry. So I stopped, and I feel so much better for it. So for what it's worth, as someone who had the sort of success that you would seemingly like to have, I'd really advise against pursuing it, and in fact I'd advise against posting comments on Youtube at all.

I wasn't interested in pursuing anything on social media I have no presence there. I was just curious whether this YouTube experience pertained to real life
Original post by Anonymous
I wasn't interested in pursuing anything on social media I have no presence there. I was just curious whether this YouTube experience pertained to real life

That's answered by how people interact with you in real life, rather than YouTube comment likes.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending