Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Decision Tree

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    A company is developing a new type of tablet. Based on historical data, they have estimated that there is 70% chance demand for the new tablets will be high and 30% it will be low. The company can choose to develop two alternative models of the tablet. Model 1 requires an initial investment of £200,000; and if demand is high, the company will gain £500,000 in revenue from Model 1 but only £150,000 if demand is low. Model 2 requires an initial investment of £175,000 and the company will gain revenues of £450,000 if demand is high but only £130,000 if demand is low.

    (a) Draw a decision tree to represent this problem and, by evaluating the decision tree, state what decision the company should take. [15 Marks]

    The company is considering conducting a market research study, which would cost £5,000. Analysis of historical data of market research studies conducted before introducing a new product shows when a product receives a favourable survey response, there is a 90% chance it will result in high consumer demand but 20% of products that receive favourable survey responses result in low demand.
    (b) Is the market survey worth doing? Explain. [15 Marks]

    To a) I found:
    Model 1= 0.70(500,000)+0.30(150,000) = 395,000
    395,000 - 200,000 = 195,000
    Model 2= 0.70(450,000)+0.30(130,000) = 354,000
    354,000 - 175,000 = 179,000
    This shows model 1 would be the better option, is this correct?
    I have no idea how to do section B!?
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier


Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first


How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.