The Student Room Group

Applying for EMT with mental health issues

Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some help on this.
I've wanted to be a paramedic for a while now, although, in Northern Ireland there aren't jobs for that. The way the paramedics train over here is apply for an EMT role first, then train on the job, then have the opportunity to progress.

My problem is, even though this opportunity doesn't show up often, it's showed up at the worst time possible.
I've been struggling a lot with depression and anxiety and the past month has been very bad, including a lot of self harm (things like packing my stuff to leave etc)
I changed doctor so I'm only getting taken seriously now, but my mental health is very unstable.

Obviously, this role is very serious, and you have to be mentally stable for something like this.
Everyone keeps telling me to do it, but I can't even cope with a sentence without crying and I know I'm not fit for the role, but I'm not sure when that opportunity will pop up.

Advice please? And be honest - this is confusing the hell out of me, so if anyone has been in a similar position, I'd greatly appreciate the help :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by LadyEcliptic
Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some help on this.
I've wanted to be a paramedic for a while now, although, in Northern Ireland there aren't jobs for that. The way the paramedics train over here is apply for an EMT role first, then train on the job, then have the opportunity to progress.

My problem is, even though this opportunity doesn't show up often, it's showed up at the worst time possible.
I've been struggling a lot with depression and anxiety and the past month has been very bad, including a lot of self harm (things like packing my stuff to leave etc)
I changed doctor so I'm only getting taken seriously now, but my mental health is very unstable.

Obviously, this role is very serious, and you have to be mentally stable for something like this.
Everyone keeps telling me to do it, but I can't even cope with a sentence without crying and I know I'm not fit for the role, but I'm not sure when that opportunity will pop up.

Advice please? And be honest - this is confusing the hell out of me, so if anyone has been in a similar position, I'd greatly appreciate the help :frown:

I am sorry that things are so difficult at the moment. Being a paramedic can be an extremely stressful environment and if you are already struggling it could put even more pressure on you when you are least able to cope with it. If I were you I would take a step back, focus on getting better. I am assuming by the fact that this is TSR that you are still reasonably young so you have time to apply later when things are better for you. Putting things on hold for a few years will hopefully mean that when you are able to pursue this as a career you will make a real success of it.
Reply 2
There's nothing to stop you doing the job at a later date but it would be risky to you if you tried to take on the role whilst unstable. You would open yourself up to vicarious trauma, compassion fatigue and PTSD (which are already risks in a job such as this)

You are the most important person right now. When you're stable, you're able to work more effectively and able to connect with others.

This is not your only chance to be an EMT

Quick Reply

Latest