The Student Room Group

Self Harm Scars and College

OK I have missed two years due to being in hospital and I have quite a few obvious large SH scars on my arms, legs and neck. I am so worried how people will react. Does anyone have any experience with this? How did people at your college react? Hope you are all ok!
Bee
You are who you are. Those scars represent an inner battle you struggled with for years, but eventually overcame.

You should be proud of your progress!

If people are too quick to judge you on the basis of these scars - then are they really worthwhile friends?

If you are feeling self conscious then you can always cover them with makeup. I'm sure YouTube has some makeup tutorials on scar coverage:smile:
Reply 2
Most people will be very sympathetic.

I don't think you need to worry. :smile:
Loads of people have self harm scars these days, I almost expect to be shown them when I meet someone...mostly girls though.
Reply 4
tell them to **** off if they ask
but no one likely will as it would be too uncomfortable
Reply 5
Thank you guys! I agree that they just aren't worth my time if they judge me for it. I feel more confident however I think I will always be worried until I have done the first few days of college :smile:
As harsh as it may sound - no one really cares except for you. Most people won't even notice (Unless they're like glaringly obvious) and when they do notice, it'll just be another part of you, like when someone has brightly coloured hair. It won't and shouldn't identify you, and believe me, 99% of people won't ask. As for the 1% who might ask, it's upto you how you deal with them but you have every right to tell them politely that it's none of their business.

Good luck with college, you'll be fine, honestly, I was in a similar position but for a different reason this time last year and like I said, people have 0 f****

Posted from TSR Mobile
People should know better than to pry, I would only ask if I knew you very well.
If anyone comments on it, theyre just looking for trouble so ignore them.

These scars show how far youve come! Youve won the battle and are now happy! College will be amazing for you and youll have a great, fun, successful time there!
So dont worry about your scars and just focus on having a great time!
Peolle wont ask about them because theyll be focusing on other aspects of their lives tbh.
But yeah if anyone asks make sure they are put in their place! Its obvious youre stronger than them!
I have alot of scars but they've all gone white now. I find people either don't notice, Do that thing where they try to look without making it obvious or ignore it completely. The only conversation where I've talked to people about it were initiated by me. I think people assume it's offensive to talk about it so don't bother haha. I must admit im not confident about it despite this and i wear long sleeves most of the time but I don't think you should worry about people bringing it up. Once my college friend gave me a fake tan on the area and didn't say a thing :') i guess people don't know how to ask about it
Reply 10
You don't have to tell them the truth of why they are there. I had a friend who had raised scars and would tell people he got them in a car accident.

Most people are too scared of triggering you into self harming to directly ask about them. I never used to cover my scars/wounds up and I rarely had comment to my face over the course of 10 years
Reply 11
I just don't see the point for me of trying to hide them, like the ones on my neck... Like what do I do, wear a scarf all the time. I think with mine people would know they are self harm. I'm just clueless about the real world I guess because apart from my family, people who I am friends with completely understand self harm and so I think when I am around people who haven't suffered with MH and self harmed or know someone who has I forget that it isn't actually 'normal' for them.
It's strange and sad how everyday self harming and the scars that come with it are in hospital.
If I see someone staring in college do I approach them? I feel like I shouldn't have to explain myself but then I am all for talking about these so called taboo topics to help erase the stigma surrounding them. As you can maybe tell, I'm conflicted. I guess I don't want to seem like I am flaunting them because I 100% am not self harm is not a good thing, even though I used to a lot I still think it is upsetting that anyone should want to hurt themselves, no matter what form it takes or how 'severe' it is. I guess I am also going off on a sort of rant.
Reply 12
In terms of speaking out.. It depends where you are in your process and how actively you self harm. Being open in public is vulnerable and can be triggering. It's not the same as when people wonder because as much as you think these definitely look like self harm..there's no reason they couldn't be from a different injury.

However when you speak out, you're sharing the injuries, the history and the emotions. I don't discourage becoming an advocate at all. I just like people to feel ready for the exposure it gives. So being stable as an absolute must. Having strong care plan for the times when you feel triggered or someone has responded negatively to you.
Reply 13
Original post by ~Tara~
In terms of speaking out.. It depends where you are in your process and how actively you self harm. Being open in public is vulnerable and can be triggering. It's not the same as when people wonder because as much as you think these definitely look like self harm..there's no reason they couldn't be from a different injury.

However when you speak out, you're sharing the injuries, the history and the emotions. I don't discourage becoming an advocate at all. I just like people to feel ready for the exposure it gives. So being stable as an absolute must. Having strong care plan for the times when you feel triggered or someone has responded negatively to you.

I can completely understand where you are coming from. I will judge that just before I start college. Looking back I struggle and then am fine and definitely not low for a matter of a month or so and then it plummets again. I have been doing very well for a while. I do hope it continues. I have a great care coordinator who sees me mostly every week. So we will have to see.
I guess I am lucky in the way that I don't easily get triggered. So that wouldn't be a problem but I am not sure how I would deal with any negative comments. I will talk to my CC about it, I'm so glad you brought it up.

Quick Reply

Latest