The Student Room Group

Core 3 Trig?

What is the difference between reciprocals of sin, cos and tan and inverse trig functions?
Original post by applesandhoney
What is the difference between reciprocals of sin, cos and tan and inverse trig functions?

Well the reciprocals are would be [sinn(x)]=1sinn(x)[sin^{-n}(x)]=\frac{1}{sin^{n}(x)} while the inverse trig functions are usually denoted by 'arc' at the beggining, such as arcsin(x)arcsin(x) to avoid confusion.

Don't get confused when denoting inverse trig functions by '-1', best to denote them using 'arc'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
Well the reciprocals are would be [sinn(x)]=1sinn(x)[sin^{-n}(x)]=\frac{1}{sin^{n}(x)} while the inverse trig functions are usually denoted by 'arc' at the beggining, such as arcsin(x)arcsin(x) to avoid confusion.

Don't get confused when denoting inverse trig functions by -1, best to denote them using 'arc'.

yeah I've seen sin^-1 notation for inverse trigs and I got mixed up with that and 1/sinx which is a reciprocal. I'll get the hang of it eventually.
Original post by applesandhoney
yeah I've seen sin^-1 notation for inverse trigs and I got mixed up with that and 1/sinx which is a reciprocal. I'll get the hang of it eventually.

It will often be obvious what to use when, you'll get a hang of it with practice.
Reply 4
We use sin^-1(x) to be arcsin(x), and (sin(x))^-1 to be cosec(x) at school, although I wouldn't write (sin(x))^-1 in an exam situation.

Quick Reply

Latest