The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chelseadagg3r
Hi welcome to CTAM. Thanks a million for posting :biggrin:.
Original post by spotify95
Yep :smile: It is a little fiddly as you have to make sure not to damage the Li-Po cells, especially the good ones that still have charge (don't want any pyrotechnics do we? :biggrin:)

You see, if there is a pack of Li-Po's, with multiple cells, and there is a bit of bulging, most people assume that they are all totally kaput and should be recycled - when usually, it's just one dodgy cell. In which case you can separate the cells (carefully!) and remove the dodgy cell, keeping the others. In my case, they were both 2S packs (the number denoting how many cells per pack), so I removed the dead cells and am keeping the good ones as 3.7V 1S Li-Po batteries :smile: If all cells have bulged, though, you really need to get rid of them as damaged Li-Po cells should not be used.

By using my multimeter, I was able to find out which cell was bad (the bad cell was less than 2V) and which was good (the good ones were still at 3.8V and can be used :smile:) So a good success, especially since one of them is rather high capacity (1500mAh) so will give a good runtime :smile:

The 7.4V 2S packs, that are still good, are being resold.

Oh that would be true; it would be a disaster if that happened! :nah: We certainly don't want that, I assume...(what does that even mean? :rofl:)

:burnout:

In a 2S pack of batteries, what does the S represent?

The use of the multimeter sounds very cool! Is it like a voltmeter? That's good to hear. :smile:

Nice, do let me know how well they do. :h:

119177:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Original post by Matrix123
Oh that would be true; it would be a disaster if that happened! :nah: We certainly don't want that, I assume...(what does that even mean? :rofl:)

:burnout:

In a 2S pack of batteries, what does the S represent?

The use of the multimeter sounds very cool! Is it like a voltmeter? That's good to hear. :smile:

Nice, do let me know how well they do. :h:

Yep, it would be a disaster... I watched a video about what Li-Po batteries are like if misused/abused, and although separating them out (from packs to single cells) shouldn't hurt them, overcharging, overdischarging, and short circuiting are the main problem areas (the Li-Po batteries can get warm, swell up/expand, let smoke out...) Also, you don't want to puncture the cells as that could cause potential problems as well.

In regards to pyrotechnics, the most obvious example I can think of are fireworks, especially when lit... :wink:

In regards to Li-Po batteries, the "S" represents the amount of cells used in that battery. So 1S = 1 cell, which is 3.7V. 2S = 2 cells used in series to provide 7.4V. 3S = 3 cells, so 11.1V etc.

All of my Li-Po batteries are either 1S or 2S, with 2 of the 2S batteries being converted to 1S after removing the dead, swollen batteries.

yep, it is like a voltmeter - although multimeters can do other functions too, such as current, resistance etc.

Yep, will do :smile: Only time will tell how these Li-Po batteries perform... :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest