The Student Room Group

OCD dog poo help please!

Hi, I have OCD and anxiety, I'm working on some of my obsessions/compulsions but one of the things I can't get round is dog poo. I get so anxious about dog walking because I worry about getting dog poo on me, when I touch a lead and the lead touches me and I carry the bags and the bags touch me or a dog touches me or even the grass. I'm really thinking about my surroundings and where I've been touched and I have to wash but it doesn't feel enough. Even where I've sat after dog walking before I've worried about it still having poo on. I don't know how to be ok with it because I feel like dog poo is a really bad dangerous thing. Any advice please? Sometimes the right comment can change things. Thank you
:lolwut:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I have OCD and anxiety, I'm working on some of my obsessions/compulsions but one of the things I can't get round is dog poo. I get so anxious about dog walking because I worry about getting dog poo on me, when I touch a lead and the lead touches me and I carry the bags and the bags touch me or a dog touches me or even the grass. I'm really thinking about my surroundings and where I've been touched and I have to wash but it doesn't feel enough. Even where I've sat after dog walking before I've worried about it still having poo on. I don't know how to be ok with it because I feel like dog poo is a really bad dangerous thing. Any advice please? Sometimes the right comment can change things. Thank you

I have had many dogs over the years and more than likely got loads of dog poo on my hands. Never been sick with it. A few germs are not going to do you any harm and in fact could be good for your immune system.

Do you have a dog - it looks like you do. If so ... why.*
Dog poo is a "really bad and dangerous thing", at least according to my mum; she reckons that you can go blind if you get it in your eyes.

But that's exactly the reason why you should pick it up, as you wouldn't want some idiot kid getting it on his hands when rolling around in the grass then rubbing his eyes. A dog comes with responsibilities, and if you can't hack that then you shouldn't be walking the dog... and if there's no-one else to walk the dog, then you probably shouldn't have a dog (as it'd be unfair for the dog for it to be indoors 24/7).
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Hey there. Although dog poo is disgusting and not good for you, it's not as dangerous as you think. You'll be okay as long as you wash your handa after walking the dog and don't rub the poo all over yourself. There are germs absolutely everywhere and, as long as your dog doesn't have an illness that can be transmitted to you, the poo germs aren't actually any worse than other germs you're exposed to.

That may not help you personally though since there is ocd in the mix and it's not always too rational. The biggest help would be therapy to help get rid of or manage your ocd, but you may find that there are some other things that help you worry less about it too.
You might like to get a tool and gloves for picking up the poo, hand sanitiser incase you think you got some on you (that way you can just do that and not have to track what you've touched), wipes to clean the tool. You may also find it helps ease your mind to wash the lead occasionally and wash your hands whenever you get back. That's what I can think of, but you can try whatever you think could help. Try not to make it too complicaated or strict though. The aim is to make this easier for you not more complicated.

Just remember that the reason you are SO concerned by this is the OCD and not an actual really serious risk so it's about putting your mind at ease more than anything else.
So lovely that we live in such an understanding society. The replies completely missing the point of the original poster is that the level of infection or 'uncleanness' is irrelevant. The FACT is that it triggers their anxiety. So 'helpful198' suggesting don't have a dog obviously doesn't realise the mental health benefits having a dog can have in a world where very little helps. Obviously. To the author of the original post (or anyone reading subsequently the answers) Please ignore them. There are ways and means. Yes it would be good to deal with the root cause anxiety but if not look at ways and means you can make it work for YOU. My step-daughter suffers complex mental health issues including anxiety and OCD and is just getting a puppy. She will be challenging herself in ways people without those issues cannot imagine. But the fact that she has the determination TO challenge them is not just creditable; it is awesome. And do you know what she's worried about? Whether she can do right by the dog. Anxiety and OCD are in many ways more real than physically obvious life limiting constraints but finding ways to challenge them can make the same lives even more fulfilling. Good luck with the dog!long handled pooper scooper, claw-hand, hand gel, gloves

Quick Reply

Latest