The Student Room Group

Post Uni Depression

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been posted several times before but I'm really finding it hard since I left uni. I went to uni at 25 and worked really hard, managed to get a first, I had a good social life and was also involved in several societies, then it suddenly all ends.

I keep in touch with my uni friends and we try and meet up, but it is difficult when everybody is in different places and doing other things. I've moved away from my friends at home so don't really have much contact with them while I'm at home. A lot of them are getting married now whereas even though I'm late twenties, after going back to uni I feel 21!!! I'm not really one to feel sorry for myself and I try to get involved in lots of groups and get out when possible.

I have secured a graduate job, which doesn't start till early 2018 so I know I will make more friends and have a new social life in a few years, so that's something to look forward to, also I intend to travel before the grad scheme starts.

Overall I should be really happy, I've got a good future secured and part of me thinks I'm being stupid. I guess I'm just really, really, really missing uni and holding on to such a great time. At uni, I did so much and everyday I could see different people, see my friends, get involved in my societies and then when that last exam came, it all just ended so suddenly. I felt like I wanted to see everyone I knew and say 'good luck' just to get some closure. At uni, I was so involved in everything I could be and now I feel like that has been taken away.

I'm hoping this is something that I'll get over but its taking a lot longer than I thought to get over leaving uni.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been posted several times before but I'm really finding it hard since I left uni. I went to uni at 25 and worked really hard, managed to get a first, I had a good social life and was also involved in several societies, then it suddenly all ends.

I keep in touch with my uni friends and we try and meet up, but it is difficult when everybody is in different places and doing other things. I've moved away from my friends at home so don't really have much contact with them while I'm at home. A lot of them are getting married now whereas even though I'm late twenties, after going back to uni I feel 21!!! I'm not really one to feel sorry for myself and I try to get involved in lots of groups and get out when possible.

I have secured a graduate job, which doesn't start till early 2018 so I know I will make more friends and have a new social life in a few years, so that's something to look forward to, also I intend to travel before the grad scheme starts.

Overall I should be really happy, I've got a good future secured and part of me thinks I'm being stupid. I guess I'm just really, really, really missing uni and holding on to such a great time. At uni, I did so much and everyday I could see different people, see my friends, get involved in my societies and then when that last exam came, it all just ended so suddenly. I felt like I wanted to see everyone I knew and say 'good luck' just to get some closure. At uni, I was so involved in everything I could be and now I feel like that has been taken away.

I'm hoping this is something that I'll get over but its taking a lot longer than I thought to get over leaving uni.

I am sorry that things are tough at the moment. I don't think the way that you are feeling is abnormal, whenever there is any big life change it can sometimes prompt you to feel low. Are there any interests that you have? Sometimes joining a team or a club can be helpful to meet new people. While starting again can be daunting once you have met a few people and got to know them it can get a bit easier.

Quick Reply

Latest