The Student Room Group

MORSE at Warwick

I've just finished my AS's and, as I'm guessing a lot of other people are, have been looking at lots of universities and their courses. I know I want to do something maths/maths&econ/maths&finance.. and have recently become interested in the MORSE degree!

If anyone here is studying it at the moment I'd be verrrry grateful if they could give me any info on it.. I've looked at the structure and modules etc, but was just wondering if anyone could give me any opinions on it?

I'm doing maths, f.maths, economics and geography at AS and (somehow!) managed to get all A's.. If I did drop one it'd be economics or geography.. should probably drop geog but I'm more confident I'd get an A in that than I would in econ.. and the uni's do say you don't need econ.. but aah, I don't know yet!

Anyway! Any info/opinions on the MORSE degree would be very much appreciated.. would be interesting to know what subjects people studied at A Level and the offers they were made.. and also if many did STEP/AEA? And also anything about the modules.. I'm not totally sure about the Operational Research side to it so any info on that would be lovely :smile:
Reply 1
Im doing straight Maths, not MORSE, but I did take AEA Maths.

Realistically, AEA Maths despite being based upon solely C1 to C4, does still take a lot of preparation, as it's likely to really stretch areas of the a-level syllabus that you are barely asked many difficult questions on and are therefore not likely to be so confident in. In this years paper I found they did this with the manipulation of double angle/half angle formulae within a binomial expansion question and a rate of change of area (essentially a quite simple differentiation) question.

Anyway, what I think is the most appropriate strategy, is to do all the past AEA papers, a bit of STEP practice aswell as this is a bit harder than AEA and will make you feel as though youre taking the lead boots off so to speak. Also, always ask the smallest of questions when covering standard a-level stuff just to really polish over any crack whatsoever that there may be in any part of the syllabus. It certainly is far more of a challenge than the normal A-level, but thats why many, including myself, really enjoyed taking this qualification.

With some extensive practice and dedication Im sure you'll be fine! Even without this if youre somewhat of a natural genius, although no preperation is of course, a big risk!!

Good luck with it all, I think you'll really enjoy the more difficult, but much more satisfying once complete questions! :smile:

Latest