The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick: BSc Economics or MORSE

Hi! So I was actually admitted to Warwick BSc Economics. Although I really like the course and its modules, I feel like the MORSE course will be better for me. Could anyone please compare these two??
Also, is it possible to request switching from one to the other before I firm Warwick?
What department is MORSE under?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by wizkid44
What department is MORSE under?

I think it's under the Statistics department but it offers classes in Maths, Econ, Stats and Business
They're very different courses. In MORSE you can take courses from the Stats department, Maths department, Business department, etc. It's possible on the economics course you will be able to do a few external options as unusual but you'll be primarily doing economics. If you want to primarily do stats&maths with some economics on the side, maths&stats will probably be more your thing. If you want more of a mix, MORSE is a good option. Maths modules are technically options but don't have a particularly high uptake. If you want to do a lot of maths, maths&stats would be a more suitable course than MORSE, (MORSE has no compulsory maths beyond first year and as I said, not many MORSE students take up a lot of maths I think) though you can readily switch between the two in the first year.

You should email admissions now to ask. It is possible they'll just be able to switch your offer over. But once you're on the course, you would probably have to restart the year to switch course if you're able to at all. The page here: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/current/ug/handbook/your-degree-course/#internal-transfers says that transfer from Economics to MORSE is not usually permitted but transfers from MORSE to economics are allowed given departmental approval + good marks.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I think it's under the Statistics department but it offers classes in Maths, Econ, Stats and Business

It is under the Statistics department but you have a very close relationship with the Economics department.
Original post by _gcx
They're very different courses. In MORSE you can take courses from the Stats department, Maths department, Business department, etc. It's possible on the economics course you will be able to do a few external options as unusual but you'll be primarily doing economics. If you want to primarily do stats&maths with some economics on the side, you should ideally do maths&stats. If you want to mix stats/econ/business, you should do MORSE.

this is true of course but if you like maths and stats, it is possible to fill up your module choices with exclusively mathematical economics and econometrics. if you're interested in quantitative non-economics classes then you'd want morse, but warwick's bsc econ is as quantitative as you like
Original post by HoldThisL
this is true of course but if you like maths and stats, it is possible to fill up your module choices with exclusively mathematical economics and econometrics. if you're interested in quantitative non-economics classes then you'd want morse, but warwick's bsc econ is as quantitative as you like

yeah that's a good point & pretty much what I meant by "maths/stats" there - any quantitative stuff you do on the economics course is going to be fairly intimately tied to econ and taught in context, (& certainly not as broad) so maybe not what someone who wants to cover these things deeper is looking for.

i'd say the op should err towards the broader degree (which MORSE is ofc very) so they're not trapped at any point.
Reply 7
Hi! So I was actually admitted to Warwick BSc Economics. Although I really like the course and its modules, I feel like the MORSE course will be better for me. Could anyone please compare these two??
Also, is it possible to request switching from one to the other before I firm Warwick?

Congrats!
May I know what is your predicted grades? When did you get your offer?
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
They're very different courses. In MORSE you can take courses from the Stats department, Maths department, Business department, etc. It's possible on the economics course you will be able to do a few external options as unusual but you'll be primarily doing economics. If you want to primarily do stats&maths with some economics on the side, maths&stats will probably be more your thing. If you want more of a mix, MORSE is a good option. Maths modules are technically options but don't have a particularly high uptake. If you want to do a lot of maths, maths&stats would be a more suitable course than MORSE, (MORSE has no compulsory maths beyond first year and as I said, not many MORSE students take up a lot of maths I think) though you can readily switch between the two in the first year.

You should email admissions now to ask. It is possible they'll just be able to switch your offer over. But once you're on the course, you would probably have to restart the year to switch course if you're able to at all. The page here: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/current/ug/handbook/your-degree-course/#internal-transfers says that transfer from Economics to MORSE is not usually permitted but transfers from MORSE to economics are allowed given departmental approval + good marks.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been really busy with exams...
Thank you so much for giving me a little more insight. I really like Economics but I just feel like it is too theoretical and lacks real applications. Although it is possible to take a bunch of modules, especially in third year, it looks like MORSE offers more flexibility.
I think I'm going to ask to change course, hoping that they will accept my request!
Sorry for the late reply, I've been really busy with exams...
Thank you so much for giving me a little more insight. I really like Economics but I just feel like it is too theoretical and lacks real applications. Although it is possible to take a bunch of modules, especially in third year, it looks like MORSE offers more flexibility.
I think I'm going to ask to change course, hoping that they will accept my request!

Did they accept? I'm in a similar situation...
Reply 10
Did they accept? I'm in a similar situation...

Wasn’t expecting to see a reply 2 years later hahaha

They didn’t accept it unfortunately because the UCAS deadline had passed.
If you’re a student at Warwick already, I’d say Econ is more than fine and easier than MORSE. I’ve got a few friends who do MORSE and it’s definitely a lot more maths and a lot more work - worth it if you really like stats but otherwise Econ is a great option.

How come do you wanna switch?
Original post by DrSkelton
Wasn’t expecting to see a reply 2 years later hahaha

They didn’t accept it unfortunately because the UCAS deadline had passed.
If you’re a student at Warwick already, I’d say Econ is more than fine and easier than MORSE. I’ve got a few friends who do MORSE and it’s definitely a lot more maths and a lot more work - worth it if you really like stats but otherwise Econ is a great option.

How come do you wanna switch?

Wdym the UCAS deadline had passed? So if it hasn't passed there's a chance?

I wanna switch because I like the look of quantitative jobs and I do like the stats/maths and its applications

Quick Reply

Latest